• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

DIY: Tank, SU-76m (rated PG-2 ... lots of milk drinking and cartoon watching)

scratch built, all 110 links ... x2 ... x2 again because I had to make new tracks once I figured out a better design.

su76m_010.jpg~original

scratch built, all 110 links ... x2 ... x2 again because I had to make new tracks once I figured out a better design.

Good lord that is some amazing stuff. Making your own tracks just sounds like an enormous amount of patience is needed when doing that 4 times over.

In WWII tank photos, you often see trees/logs tied to the sides. Do you know what they were for?

I knew a guy that made a 1/4 scale German 88 that fired golf balls using gunpowder. You should have it out with him.

In WWII tank photos, you often see trees/logs tied to the sides. Do you know what they were for?//
Believe that is the case in "Fury." It's makeshift armor, just as they sometimes added scrap metal, sand bags, or track sections to the frontal slope.

A secondary reason might be to try and defeat the shaped charge warhead of the Panzerfaust by causing it to detonate prematurely. The Russians installed spaced armor on frontal slopes late in the war for the same reason.

What an awesome build from scratch! Makes the shovel AK project look easy. The cast drivers hatch out of melted beer cans and lawn chairs is great!! Can't wait to see more...

They did indeed show the logs in Fury. Also saw some in the old pics of this style of armored vehicle, as well as other tank pics from WWII. Makes sense to predetonate warheads before they reach the metal to dissipate energy.

Forgot to mention, this build is pretty awesome. What about an interchangeable paintball gun and ma deuce?

Forgot to mention, this build is pretty awesome. What about an interchangeable paintball gun and ma deuce?

so about that cannon ...

su_range1_07.jpg~original

excuse me, what did you say about my driving?

su_range1_06.jpg~original

hello

su_range1_01.jpg~original

just strolling down the ramp

su_range1_02.jpg~original

getting into firing position

su_range1_05.jpg~original

at the firing line

su_range1_03.jpg~original

su_range1_04.jpg~original

firing 200 grains of BP, lead slug ... weak load

9v8jdf.gif

half the speed

rwih44.gif

mission completed, I'm back for breakfast

su_range1_08.jpg~original

su_range1_09.jpg~original

oh ... did I mention it's a 1/4 of the original 76mm? ... so it's a .75 cal, 75 cal lead slug.

yes, 75 cal will just tear new *******s wherever and whenever it wants.

In WWII tank photos, you often see trees/logs tied to the sides. Do you know what they were for?

I knew a guy that made a 1/4 scale German 88 that fired golf balls using gunpowder. You should have it out with him.
Throw the logs under the tracks when you get mired down. I know of a dozer that needed a semi load of railroad ties under it to get un stuck

You are on a roll lately.

I <3 U.

))<>((

My son can't see this thread, because then he would realize his dad doesn't measure up. Awesome work Boris

Spending time with kid is really what matters. No matter what, you are the most awesome dad to your kid.

Throw the logs under the tracks when you get mired down. I know of a dozer that needed a semi load of railroad ties under it to get un stuck

Yes, there are actually a lot pictures on how this is done, it's a very common training exercise, especially in muddy fields.

576.gif

brevno-samovytaskivaniya-1.jpg

here is a SU with a whole lot of logs

Kravcev050.jpg

Back
Top Bottom