• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

DIY: Tank, SU-76m (rated PG-2 ... lots of milk drinking and cartoon watching)

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
PART 1 - this post
PART 2 - post #25 (http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/266308-DIY-Tank-SU-76m-(rated-PG-2-lots-of-milk-drinking-and-cartoon-watching)?p=4227194&viewfull=1#post4227194)
PART 3 - cannon test fire (

I am making an exception by posting a build that's not yet "done" because after 1.5 years I realize that it will never be trully done. I will try to post a bunch of write-up and photos as I hunt them out from various places, every week. I will keep the table of content on this page/post so that people can see the progress and find other relevant posts.

Last year's sumer, my then 2 yo and I decided to get together some father-son project. We considered a bird house, a pine derby car ... and then we decided to build a tank.

su76m_025.jpg~original

SU-76m is not a tank, it's the most produced self-propelled artillery by Soviets in WWII. Built on the extended chassy of light BT tank, it was designed to make the "God of War" agile, following in the lockstep but slightly behind the advancing army. Not something typical artillery setup could do.

su76m_001.jpg~original

The lightly armored body wasn't meant to defend from anything bigger than small arms fire. But in reality it frequently went to the heart of battle.

su76m_002.jpg~original

hence of nickname: "grave for four brothers". In terms of nicknames, it's most common nickname was "sooch-kah" (little female dog ... yeah, B-word) based on Su pronounced as "soo" Reality is that Soviet soldiers have outstanding propensity to nickname just about anything without rhyme or reason, even German nebelwerfers were "little Ivan's" ... go figure.

We figured that we wanted to make a scale copy, small enough to fit into a car (for a trip to the range) but big enough to help around the house with moving lawn or clearing the snow while packing something at least 50cal, so 1/4 scale seemed like a good place.

The frame was made from inch square tube, something real Sus never needed, because boxed heavy plate could support it's shape just fine.

su76m_007.jpg~original

A lot of goofing off delayed production

su76m_006.jpg~original

until the snow was on the ground

su76m_008.jpg~original

Once inside the house, there was no retreat on this project. Electric engines make controlling both tracks infinitely easier ... but don't worry, there will be noise and smoke.

su76m_009.jpg~original

Actually the engine location is something that can let you distinguish variations of SU. Original configuration SU76 had two automobile engines on each side of the driver. Hence the front of the SAU had two transmission access hatches.

Later M-modernized models had two engines working in tandem to the right of the driver, so you can only see the driver's hatch and a single transmission access plate.

su76m_024.jpg~original

They also went from completely covered gun grew compartment on 76 to partially covered on 76m

su76m_028.jpg~original

This is actually the post-war production 76-m when back was covered again with steel

su76m_004.jpg~original

Wheels were stamped out, so we did the same thing starting with blank steel.

su76m_029.jpg~original

The original forming was slightly different

su76m_010.jpg~original

I stamped the basic shape

su76m_021.jpg~original

and rolled the rims

su76m_023.jpg~original

then joined them together

su76m_022.jpg~original

here are the all stages of the wheel being made

su76m_011.jpg~original

One thing to keep in mind when building tanks, you will have to make a lot of identical parts

su76m_012.jpg~original

and mount all of them

su76m_015.jpg~original

As a joke we moked up what would a 50cal barrel look like on the tank. It immideately attracted cat's attention

su76m_013.jpg~original

taking all the measurements to evaluate potential for world domination

su76m_014.jpg~original

parts constantly needed to be taken off and on to fit various components

su76m_016.jpg~original

finally "plating" was put on and like any real tank it immidiately started to rust

su76m_019.jpg~original

each side was assembled from two plates, joined by a set of giant rivets that was duplicated

su76m_027.jpg~original

like I said, fitting requires parts to be constantly put on and off

su76m_020.jpg~original

so having enthusiastic comrades eager to build tanks is a big plus

su76m_017.jpg~original

su76m_018.jpg~original

well, the story is faaar from over, but I need to get some sleep

su76m_003.jpg~original

continued on post #25 http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/266308-DIY-Tank-SU-76m-(rated-PG-2-lots-of-milk-drinking-and-cartoon-watching)?p=4227194&viewfull=1#post4227194

Last edited:
Why is your son wearing a life jacket, testing the tank for water immersion?

that's a Spiderman swimming west ... makes little sense, but he is into superheroes, so function has little to do with symbols on it.

Nice, but didn't you want to build a Tiger?

I did, and after a lot of thought tanks just don't offer the same utility at the same size. Most tank have long barrels that stick far out and smaller bodies. I specifically wanted something that's more than a toy to play with but something that could be tasked to do some work around the house like clearing snow or hauling things around. Scale tanks really suck for that. Su-76 has that nice back section that could be used as storage, access point or have a seat so that kid can ride semi-on-top vs be completely in the tank. There will be pics about that. Basically I can ride in that tank ... albeight standing up. When we started, he was considerably smaller than he is now. This trend will continue, so it's important to have that flexibility.

When will we be seeing these up on Amazon? In for 2.
Group Buy???

No need to wait, 1/4 scale tanks are for sale. In fact a few companies do just that, although I'm not sure how active they are or who is still in business. There are 1/4 scale Tigers, King Tiger, T34 ... just to name a few. Most of them come with amazing details. I believe that there are kits that go for several grands, more like toward 5k and some already built 1/4 scales that are in 10k-15k or up range. That sounds like a lot of money and it is. However, making all these things yourself takes a boat load of time. One small, little thing can take a weekend to make ... assuming that you make it right the first time [laugh] ... because a lot of times you won't and you have to re-make it. Honestly, even at 10-15k, I don't see how these sellers make any cash. It takes incredible amount of time and effort and buyers market in that range is pretty small.

here is a Russian site that sells through some dude in UK who adds some work on them, check these out:

http://www.rctanks.ru/radio-controlled-model-tanks/radio-controlled-tank-tiger-1-4-scale

proc_0001(1).jpg

panther1_4_1.JPG

[video=youtube_share;pRer3Ql8PqE]http://youtu.be/pRer3Ql8PqE[/video]

You can buy this (chassy + electronics) for 3900GB pounds or something like $8000 US (whatever exchange is)

1-4-king-tiger-3226b.jpg

Honestly though, if someone wanted to give me $8000 to do another one, I'd say "no way" (except using many vulgar and colorful non-PG-2 expressions) It's really IS that much work.

Well comrades, it's time to write the next chapter on building mobile artillery, so re-fill your lemonade glasses and put on Best of Curious George Soundtrack and let's go!

su76m_005.jpg~original

You can tell that this was a live shot from a moving tank. How? Look at the tracks, the top is stretched out. Once you work with tracks it becomes second nature to notice those things.

Let's talk about paint. Model makers are obcessed with replicating exact camo tones and go to extremes lengths to get it right. The reality is that it came from factory coloted 4БО (which varied due to chrome colorant coming from two different places)

su76m_040.jpg~original

When armor left factories, crew had to repaint parts with proper paint to match surroundings or simply fix some parts. Were they issued a special paint? No. To this day, you may see armor colored in "funny" colors because it was whatever the segrant could steal locally or trade for. In other words, there were no special paint for a tank in use.

su76m_041.jpg~original

Manuals called for repainting armor to match the surrounding with locally obtained materials. Thus, in a city, oil base would be mixed with sut and crushed brick and that was the paint. No designer hues.

su76m_042.jpg~original

I used some of the color samples of 4БО to match my paint at a local hardware store, telling the flower-child woman in the paint department all about the glorious Red Army armor, the crushing steel fist of the Zis-3s firing, scortched earth in infernal flames ... the awesome.

su76m_043.jpg~original

The floor jack is there for a reason, with tracks, motors and batteries this thing was impossible to lift.

su76m_031.jpg~original

Next step was going to add even more metal. As a real tank, it lives outside, rain or shine or snow.

su76m_033.jpg~original

I tried to paint some parts as they were added though.

su76m_034.jpg~original

Even more steel.

su76m_035.jpg~original

And now the fenders

su76m_039.jpg~original

Driver's hatch was pretty hard to make and I belive that the original was cast

su76m_026.jpg~original

I first made replica in foam

su76m_032.jpg~original

packed it in sand

su76m_036.jpg~original

and poured some remelted beers cans, lawn chairs and AR receivers

su76m_037.jpg~original

is acceptable

su76m_038.jpg~original

the SAU is a 1/4 scale of the original, so all the little tools had to be made the same quarter scale

su76m_046.jpg~original

su76m_047.jpg~original

su76m_030.jpg~original

maintaining tanks is a constant work fixing things as they brake

su76m_044.jpg~original

At this point motors are controlled by tethered throtle. Kid wasn't very happy about not being able to drive the tank or ram over 200# of steel into my car.

su76m_045.jpg~original

ok, to be continued ...

Pretty effing cool. My only concern would be if junior drove under something very low or rolled the thing. Wouldn't end well.

Pretty effing cool. My only concern would be if junior drove under something very low or rolled the thing. Wouldn't end well.

true, any motorized power wheels have that problem of kid running under a jacked up truck or low deck. In terms of rollover, the tank is pretty stable, center of gravity is low, probably 3-4" to the 30" width and heavy as heck. This is the reason I am at controls all the time, few feet away. Younger kids don't really have any notion of consequences so they tend to try things that are fun without thinking too far ahead. Hopefully that changes with age [laugh]

Want to adopt a 28 year old?

Angelina Jolie may be looking another kid or two, have you checked with her first?

Back
Top Bottom