DIY Skinning and Butchering Rack Plans?

admcd

NES Member
Putting the cart WAY before the horse here:

I'm getting ready for deer season (11/27 can't come soon enough for me!) and am deciding to be an optimist. I want to build a rack on which to attach my gambrel for hoisting deer so I can do my own skinning and butchery. I haven't found any good/clear plans online. Anyone have any experience? In a perfect world, I'd be able to take it apart and store it in my shed after the season.

Hoisting the gambrel to get deer up in the air so you can section it?
Tree? Rafter in garage or barn?
No trees in the backyard strong enough, no garage or barn. Thinking about a scaffold system I could anchor my gambrel from and hoist to to skin and section.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Curiously enough, the title of this thread is the answer to other threads like

bergdahl walks,

baker signs new gun law

11/4 is Antifa revolt

kind of fits nicely with those topics.

Bergdahl walks, DIY skinning and butchering

antifa, etc.....

If you can anchor him and have body on piece of plywood or something you can skin while horizontal.
Search YouTube. May get some ideas there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5VfoTRox8s
I dont like the video much, but it does show their pulley system in action.

lots of plans here in this thread from some georgia outdoors forum.
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=498367

this one's my favorite. fits right in your trailer hitch! Skin that bad boy right in your driveway.....[laugh]

attachment.php

Thanks, all! Going to try something like the GA Outdoors plan. Think I can rig it with bolts so I can take it apart and store it under my porch during the "off" season.

I started out with a trailer winch. Then when I built my garage and was doing like 4 deer a year or more, I bought one of those 79 dollar electric hoists. Thing works awesome, I also use it to change my mower blades (just lift front end of tractor up), load heavy stuff into my truck, etc....

So consider you may use it in the off season too...

Last edited:
Go borrow your neighbors tree in front yard. I am sure they wont mind some blood and guts....
Science lesson for the kids..

Go borrow your neighbors tree in front yard. I am sure they wont mind some blood and guts....
Science lesson for the kids..
I'm just around the corner from a big lake and park. Wondering what kind of reaction I'd get if I strung a deer up from their gazebo....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

This, i used a rock instead of a golf ball.
Fold back each of the deers feet to tighten the tendon, cut at the joint then fold back to snap them off. Slice around thee neck tuck a rock or whatever in the back of thee neck.. strap the head to a vehicle or tree and pull with another vehicle or winch.

Skins in a moment. Then clean. Is so easy.. slice down the sternum when you get to the stomach inset finger and follow you finger with the tip of a knife.
You open them up like your unzipping a zipper. So much easier then going through the hide and trying not to hit the stomache or intestines.

Ill never do it any other way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom