• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

DIY: Shovel AK - photo tsunami warning!

If Boris was to make a pdf of his outstanding build I'd be willing to spend a few $ on it, a video would be even better, both would be amazing.

Love the ingenuity of this build, being a youngster I do not have the tools or the know-how to complete an AK build but one day I will!
Don't wait. Start building whatever you can with whatever you can. The best learning involves a little reading and a lot of work in the garage, often creating more scrap than finished project.

Between you, me, and Johnny Law, here's what happened to my homemade AK. Back in my garage I use a grinding wheel to cut the receiver in half and the other components into pieces. I put the scraps back in the cardboard box the kit came in and leave it for the garbage truck.

die in a fire you quivering vagina.

I Built This AK-47. It's Legal and Totally Untraceable.

I Built This AK-47. It's Legal and Totally Untraceable. | Mother Jones

Someone gets their panties in a wad because we can build an AK from surplus parts.

And did this thread get indirectly mentioned in the comments? It sure did!

Kevin Pham Today 02:21 PM in reply to jake

That's also a crime to create a firearm with intent to sell, without an appropriate FFL. And it's a crime to commit a crime with a firearm, so we're pretty much set.

If a criminal weren't too inept to build an AK, then he can build an AK even if it's against the law. There's a backyard gun industry in Pakistan/Afghanistan (Khyber pass) and the Phillipines. In the Khyber pass, they melt down old truck leaf springs and scrap to produce AKs, Enfields, and Hi-Powers. In the Phillipines, they make ARs, 1911s, and the ones who made it big time even design their own rifles. Here in the US, an entrepreneuring individual converted a SHOVEL into an AK. What amount of legislation do you want passed for a crime that may or may not happen?

I would like to stop crime. I like for there to be laws against crime. But in a crime committed with a firearm, the problem lies with the crime, because mere possession of a firearm should NOT constitute a crime (I do mean lawful possession, but there's more to that for a different day.) Thus, if we focus on the part where a crime is being committed, these home builds have absolutely no relevance to the law. Rifles are used in a small fraction of gun crimes, and a fraction of that are what is considered an "assault weapon" in states that have such things. What fraction of THAT do you think consists of home built featured semi automatic rifles? Home built rifles are NOT new. They've been around at least since the first personally owned CNC machines were purchased, and I'm sure they've been around since the AK switched to stamped/folded sheet metal construction (~1960's). In the past half-century, I would be very surprised if a single non-war-related mass shooting occured with a personal home made AK, anywhere in the world.

I want what I think we all want - peace. I'm not a "a gun for every man woman and child!" type of person. As a fellow citizen, I urge everyone to focus on things that matter. If we must legislate more, we must legislate things that will have an impact on crime. Quite simply, these build parties aren't the droids you're looking for.

show more
show less

Flag Moral_Hazard and 41 more liked this Like

Boris! Someone beat you to it:

11-08-08_0927.jpg

From this old post over on ar15.com:
Unusual weapons in Iraq - PICS - Page 1 - AR15.COM

Almost exactly one year later, I must say that this is probably the best use of simile I've yet seen on NES:

This receiver turned out to be stiffer than me watching full-featured film of Michael Kalashnikov doing Polina Porizkova in a heavy KVI tank on board of a navy destroyer in a midst of a battle.

Last edited:
I'm just re-visiting and bumping some more because of how wonderful this is. Everytime I read one of these Boris built something awesome threads I feel ashamed and tingly all at the same time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom