DIY: Saiga 12 takedown from kit build (first US made! prima noctus Sayegus)

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
AWB warning: some communist states do not recognize the Constitution and insist on banning freedom guns. For example in Mass, shotgun should not have both pistol grip AND a detachable magazine. One evil feature is ok.

922r warning: something about foreign parts (unless they come from Cuba?) Use protection.

A week ago I bought a couple Saiga12 kits. Demilled, unfired Saiga12 civ carabine. At first I was sad, then I was angry and then I was sober and decided to bring them back to life.

Welcome to Valhalla comrades! Even though your short lives were spent as "civilian carabines", you will be reborn again as most glorious killy rifles, hang out with other killy comrades in safe where cosmoline smells strong and ammo is plentyful!

saiga12_003.jpg~original

Is good thing I did not throw away 80% Saiga receivers. Now it comes handy.

saiga12_002.jpg~original

For "converted" Saigas the hole configuration is the same as most glorious of all rifles.

Here is how to do it with a template. Cut one piece and fold it at 90 degrees on the crease line

saiga12_050.jpg~original

Now center the trigger over trigger hole. Do it while holding to light. Secure with a piece of scotch.

saiga12_051.jpg~original

Now hold the receiver over something flat. Keep paper template at 90 degrees. The receiver crease is slightly round. Do not force paper tight over the crease. Let it be 90 square. You need to determine hole location from receiver's bottom plane.

saiga12_052.jpg~original

saiga12_008.jpg~original

saiga12_009.jpg~original

I mock configuration and fantasize of future.

saiga12_006.jpg~original

saiga12_007.jpg~original

I also demill rails. Many method exists to do it. From carbide endmills to spot weld remover to fingernails and teeth. Outcome may vary.

saiga12_004.jpg~original

saiga12_005.jpg~original

Because spotwelding demilled rails back is not possible correctly, I used technique to backfill holes in receiver.

saiga12_011.jpg~original

saiga12_010.jpg~original

Now you see, real Saiga is a lot like AK (most glorious rifle).

saiga12_012.jpg~original

I then finish taco and light gas. Heat-treating is on. Receiver before.

saiga12_018.jpg~original

and after affirmative action.

saiga12_019.jpg~original

Trigger guard is like the rest of Saiga, killy parts that need to be liberated from all the civilian crap.

saiga12_013.jpg~original

saiga12_017.jpg~original

The continue to rivet

saiga12_020.jpg~original

Meanwhile I put back barrel back together. Is easy. Pipe clam does is good.

saiga12_014.jpg~original

saiga12_015.jpg~original

Is done.

saiga12_016.jpg~original

few more things to keep in mind. If you are using AK trigger group, you need to do slight mods.

Top of the sear may need to be cut and polished. This allows bolt carrier traveling back to push it out of its way

saiga12_053.jpg~original

Also, this receiver is 1.5mm as oppose to 1mm AK receivers, so the bottom of the trigger/sear needs to be ground slightly, otherwise your trigger will not be able to go far enough forward for the disconnector to reset and let hammer go.

saiga12_056.jpg~original

this part of safety lever may need to be ground off to let bolt be let inserted. Also you may put safety lever after bolt is inserted.

saiga12_054.jpg~original

saiga12_055.jpg~original

also polish the head of hammer

saiga12_057.jpg~original

The rest is putting parts together.

saiga12_021.jpg~original

saiga12_022.jpg~original

If you notice, last picture shows barrel/trunnion combo being held by take-down pins. This is how Saiga12 is like AK (most glorious rifle) type 1, the front trunnion dovetails into trunnion, being held not by rivets alone, but mostly by scalloped notch on the reciver.

saiga12_001.jpg~original

this makes it good method to build as a take down rifle, compact and can be assembled quickly.

saiga12_023.jpg~original

to make "Pistol grip" acceptable in Communist Commiewealth of Taxachusetts, one evil feature like "removable black child-killing magazine) need to be disabled.

I accomplish it with "No PenetЯashun !!" message. The message by itself should prevent people from inserting evil. I event put two exclamation signs to make sure I mean business. The message alone is enough, this is like all ****ing laws work. They prevent people from being stupid, right comrades?

saiga12_058.jpg~original

Hangover thoughts:

Easy build. Saiga 12s are now in 1100 range and basic "conversion kit" is another $100, so building your own is good option. Do it. Leave aluminum for lawn chairs and beer cans.

Last edited:
Nice!

With everything apart you could actually mod an AK rear sight assembly to fit like Dinzag Arms does. http://www.dinzagarms.com/saiga_12/aks12.html

I don't really get the whole point of mounting AK furniture on a Saiga. The question is, is it for Function or for Looks?

1000 yard sight on a shutgun [rofl] not even crazy Russkies are that optimistic [laugh] I get the whole point that people have AR syndrom, i.e. they still need to play with dolls ... I mean cars and rifles by dressing them into different dresses and pretend play operators.

I don't really get the whole point of mounting AK furniture on a Saiga. The question is, is it for Function or for Looks?

1000 yard sight on a shutgun [rofl] not even crazy Russkies are that optimistic [laugh] I get the whole point that people have AR syndrom, i.e. they still need to play with dolls ... I mean cars and rifles by dressing them into different dresses and pretend play operators.

Because AKs still should look like AKs. :D

Boris, I was wondering where you were able to get your hands on a 80% Saiga receiver? I have been looking everywhere, but havent found a thing.
Also, I really enjoyed your post. Nice work!

Back
Top Bottom