DIY Primer Tubes

Anyone make their own primer tubes???...I came across a post on another forum so I ended up ordering some tubing to make large and small tubes. I think I am going to extend the one in the press and make some primer pickup tubes.

If anyone is interested:

Granger can be a bit too expensive but here are the part numbers and links to ebay auctions.

Large primer tube Grainger Part#4NTD2 search EBAY PRICE
Small primer tube Grainger Part#4NTD3 search EBAY PRICE

Last edited:
I thought about doing this, but when I was looking for the plastic tips for the pickup tubes, I found that the completed pickup tubes are only $6 each so I bought ten each of the small and large tubes instead.

Yea or you can use them to extend the primer magazine in the press with a little rigging.

I don't think I'd do that. I've talked to people who've had a primer magazine blow up. 100 is plenty. If you have more primer tubes, I don't see what you gain by lengthening the magazine on the press. The 10 second interruption to dump in another pickup tube just isn't that big a deal.

I bought a press from someone that came with 2 spare parts kits so I am awash with these so I figured what the heck. I enjoy making things and for roughly half the price ...so roughly $2 a piece

I would like to extend the magazine in the 650 likely just using a plastic couple (like the one that comes with the FA Vibra prime

I thought about doing this, but when I was looking for the plastic tips for the pickup tubes, I found that the completed pickup tubes are only $6 each so I bought ten each of the small and large tubes instead.

I respect that, however having done 100K+ rounds myself and having not met a single other individual that has ignited a primer in a press, I think I am ok....That being said it would be a huge F'n mess and dangerous.

I don't think I'd do that. I've talked to people who've had a primer magazine blow up. 100 is plenty. If you have more primer tubes, I don't see what you gain by lengthening the magazine on the press. The 10 second interruption to dump in another pickup tube just isn't that big a deal.

I would like to extend the magazine in the 650 likely just using a plastic couple (like the one that comes with the FA Vibra prime

Are you going to extend the black plastic rod that operates the low primer sensor too? In addition to operating the alarm, that piece also provides downward pressure on the primer stack and is essential for reliable primer feeding.

Yes, my only concern really was the added weight causing primers to bind up.....it was really just a side side idea to cutting the tubes for primer tubes. I am not married to it...more than anything I enjoy tinkering...

Are you going to extend the black plastic rod that operates the low primer sensor too? In addition to operating the alarm, that piece also provides downward pressure on the primer stack and is essential for reliable primer feeding.

Yes, my only concern really was the added weight causing primers to bind up.....it was really just a side side idea to cutting the tubes for primer tubes. I am not married to it...more than anything I enjoy tinkering...

Yeah - I think the complications of extending the primer magazine might end up outweighing the extra 10 seconds of time you'll gain every 15 minutes.

I don't see any sense in extending the primer magazine. I find changing tubes/refilling the tube a welcome break from pulling on the handle.

I don't see any sense in extending the primer magazine. I find changing tubes/refilling the tube a welcome break from pulling on the handle.

I'm with you on this. Extra tubes on hand already full of primers is all that is required.
Besides, I might be concerned with a magazine detonation when the load of primers hits bottom. Velocity and impact could be a fireworks display.

Back
Top Bottom