• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

DIY Patina( Knife)

Mike-Mike

Instructor
Dealer
NES Member
This is my first attempt. 11111.jpg 11112.jpg

It took forever to get the Old coating off the blade. The patina was done with some grapefruit for about 13 hours.

This is a stock Becker BK7 that I convexed. It is my beater that I use for yard work and clearing trails with the dog.

ETA: I guess you have to click the picks a few times to get them to be big.

Last edited:
I remember a book with all kinds of recipes for all kinds of metals. I used iodine from a drug store to etch designs in a knife. You just spread candle wax over the blade, scratch off some parts, put iodine drops. It comes out brown or light black.

Very nice look, I like it!

Try this

Dab the whole blade with cold blue on a small dauber. Just apply it in a random pattern overlapping. Don't worry about covering every inch.
Dip the whole blade in bleach and let it sit for about 10 minutes

Rinse, scrub with 0000 steel wool.

Repeat 2 more times.

Now you can leave the finish as is, apply more cold blue to darken it, or use 1000 grit sandpaper to brighten up the high spots, leaving the deep etched spots dark to show off a nice contrast.

http://www.spanglercustomknives.com/Spangler_Custom_Knives/Gallery/Pages/Japanese.html#0

This blade was done with that finish.

You can beat on this finish all day long and it always looks great. If you ever get more patina from acidic conditions just hit it with steel wool or sandpaper to bring it back.

The ultimate user finish for carbon steel.

Back
Top Bottom