• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

DIY fire starting gel?

What about Charcoal lighter fluid?

We use “Flaming balls of death” [Cotton balls] as well. But just a wood stove. Split firewood into small pieces and keep it inside so it gets very dry.

dissolving Ivory bar soap in kerosene makes great napalm, I mean fire starting gell. I used to make this when I was a kid. It was my father's recipe.
Yeah, thought his description sounded like Napalm as well

Get some fat wood. Cheap enough at the stores but also easy to find in the woods.

My buddy swears by a variation of these. I believe it had some twist like soaking the pads in naphtha before dipping them in wax. Anyway he gave me a bunch of try and they worked fantastic.

My Dad makes fire starters in small wax coated Dixie cups. Mixes fine sawdust and chainsaw chips together and loosely put into cups about 1" high. Melt old candles (and crayons) in a double boiler and fill just to the wood filler. Use a wooden block to keep the wood from floating (or another cup).
To light it with a match or lighter, tear some of the top of the cup like you would peel an apple to get to the fire starter.
I would think this would be good for dryer lint also

One of the guys who does deep wilderness snowmobile trips out West carries a 15 minute highway flare, so that even if everything is soaked, he can get a fire started. Super-high burn temp.
A road flare aimed at a tire full of drain oil will get even the soggiest of brush piles going.
So if you are stranded in your car, take a tire off, drain the oil pan into it and use the Flare to ignite the assembly. Will keep you warm and send a clear signal to the search party.

Fritz the Cat after a break down.

r

Been there, done that. Switched to indoor stove last year. Don't miss the owb lifestyle. Well, maybe a little - never had to worry about keeping wood dry, much easier to get through uglies and bark piles, and I like being out in the weather 95% of the time. ...it's the other 5% that sucked, like getting showered and dressed for work, then remembering you have to load the boiler in heavy rain before leaving..

After my first couple times of waiting too long to refill, or getting stuck at work for a lot of extra hours, I started making up cardboard bombs for the odd cold start. Stuff a decent sized cardboard box with balled newspaper, some kindling, some cardboard shreds, and put it on the bottom of your burn chamber. Build the fire on top of that, small stuff on the bottom, full size splits or logs on top. Hit the box with a propane torch or light a fire starter under one corner, and let it rip. The corner of the box burns away and the fire starts eating the paper, then the cardboard goes up (hot!) and catches the rest of it.

Back
Top Bottom