• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

DIY Dueling Tree

Great DIY job! Just curious, if you don't own a torch or any of the other tools necessary to do this, how much would they cost? ;)

Double the purchase cost.
Kits might come with plates and hinges, but some stuff still has to be sourced out like the angle iron and misc stuff.
If you have all that stuff, then its just a matter of finding someone that can burn it together.

Great DIY job! Just curious, if you don't own a torch or any of the other tools necessary to do this, how much would they cost? ;)
You would need a welder, that would be your main expense. You could probably get by with something cheap from Harbor Freight for 200 bucks. And you would need a cut-off tool/grinder to cut your material, you could get a cheap one for about 30 bucks.

Probably not worth the cost if you plan to build just one. If you have never welded before that is going to take some practice. But if you want to have some fun and learn something new then get a welder. It will be a handy thing to have around once you learn how to use it.

Or you can source the parts and find someone to do cutting and welding for you. If you find the right person that shouldn't cost very much.

Double the purchase cost.
Kits might come with plates and hinges, but some stuff still has to be sourced out like the angle iron and misc stuff.
If you have all that stuff, then its just a matter of finding someone that can burn it together.
At what purchase cost??? A good one is going to set you back over $500 and to ship them most are bolted not welded. Sure you could get a cheap one but it is not going to be as sturdy or as large as a DIY one that is all welded.

At what purchase cost??? A good one is going to set you back over $500 and to ship them most are bolted not welded. Sure you could get a cheap one but it is not going to be as sturdy or as large as a DIY one that is all welded.

Whatever the kit cost is.
I picked up a 6 plate on a (black friday/ cyber monday/ july 4th/ insert holiday here) for $125.
Had all the stuff that wasn't included, and a mig here at work.
Cut everything, burned it together, sold it for $250.

Same with the plate rack.
Kit was like $280? after a 40% off sale? 6 plates, 6 hinges, 2 end plates
Had all the stock that wasn't included. Burned it all together, sold it for $500.

Whatever the kit cost is.
I picked up a 6 plate on a (black friday/ cyber monday/ july 4th/ insert holiday here) for $125.
Had all the stuff that wasn't included, and a mig here at work.
Cut everything, burned it together, sold it for $250.

Same with the plate rack.
Kit was like $280? after a 40% off sale? 6 plates, 6 hinges, 2 end plates
Had all the stock that wasn't included. Burned it all together, sold it for $500.
My intention when I posted this thread was to share my experience in building my own DIY dueling tree. I wanted to show how someone who has access to a welder can build a nice sturdy dueling tree (not a cheap Birchwood Casey) for far less than the purchase cost. And also have the satisfaction of knowing that you built it yourself.

You have chimed in several times on how easy it is to do and that you have built and sold them. If you want to brag about how much money you can make by building and then selling them for profit then maybe you should start a separate thread for that because that is not what this thread was meant to be about.

FYI, I have built several for other people and charged nothing for labor, just the cost of materials. Some have insisted or given me a gift. But I enjoy the work and like knowing I can help someone out who might not have the tools or knowledge to do it themselves.

My intention when I posted this thread was to share my experience in building my own DIY dueling tree. I wanted to show how someone who has access to a welder can build a nice sturdy dueling tree (not a cheap Birchwood Casey) for far less than the purchase cost. And also have the satisfaction of knowing that you built it yourself.

You have chimed in several times on how easy it is to do and that you have built and sold them. If you want to brag about how much money you can make by building and then selling them for profit then maybe you should start a separate thread for that because that is not what this thread was meant to be about.

FYI, I have built several for other people and charged nothing for labor, just the cost of materials. Some have insisted or given me a gift. But I enjoy the work and like knowing I can help someone out who might not have the tools or knowledge to do it themselves.

Bragging and answering questions you've asked, are two different things, my friend.

Nice job! I was going to go the DIY route but I ended up buying the Birchwood Casey dueling tree and have been very happy with it. It came with a case to carry it but it needed to be broken down so I swapped it with a little bigger one and everything fits right in all together, just have to take apart the base. It carries like a rifle and sets up in about one minute. Amazon is selling it for $242.48 with free shipping.
41JTA-GcitL.jpg

now $218 delivered. In my shopping cart.

I have no welding capabilities, this is the best way out for me

BTT - Some nice trees in this thread.

I ordered some 3/8" AR500 targets from a guy in Indiana. 2x 6", 2x 8", and 2x 10" plates shipped with brackets for $145. I plan to weld up a base that will come apart for transport and storage. I'm going to weld it up this weekend so I can try it out next week. I plan to put it at 100 yards and beat it up with 7.62x39 and .223. I probably won't be able to resist seeing what 7.62x54R does.

I'm wondering if I should leave them all white or paint the other side orange or yellow or something? We will be shooting at these with mostly iron sight AKs but I do have some red colored optics.

targets.jpg

I have the plates and stuff all cut and and ready to go for an 8 plate tree in a box in my garage, just never got around to welding it together lol I should probably get on that.

I bought some 3/8 500AR and it does not hold up well to any 223+ cal at 100 yards. They all dished with only one round finding its way through.
I gave those away and bougjt 1/2” AR but never use them as both clubs I go to banned steel , until recently. So time to build something.
Not sure if I will do a tree, but portable stand for swingers would be nice

I finished my tree today, I hope I can get to the range this week and try it out! My welding skills are improving with some good, some not so good welds. I've never welded anything as thick as 3/8ths before but it came out pretty good. The base is way thinner, actually lighter than the upright. I'll post back with results and pictures of the damage from my AK and Tavor.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

I picked up a Birchwood Casey tree before the scamdemic started for around $200. Weve shot the piss out of it with no issue. Well as long as people don’t hit the base with 45...

But seriously we’ve hit it with slugs, buckshot, all kinds of pistol and 556 at 100yds and no pitting. Although 556 and slugs are a bit violent.

Back
Top Bottom