• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

DIY bucket case feeder plates, with CAD

I've been quiet about it so far, as it is taking WAY too long for me to put this thing together.
That said, I've drawn some shell plates for a DIY bucket case collator. 10.125" in diameter, as this is the required diameter of the 5 gallon pail (with 1/8" clearance) I'm using.

I started with the DXF files from EntirelyCrimson (http://entirelycrimson.com/accessories.html) for shell diameters and lengths, and borrowed their clutch clearance idea (large dia hole in shell plate, which will allow the clutch to drive the star wheel rather than the shell plate directly.)
I needed the extra height of the clutch clearance as my drive motor is close to the plate surface.

Without further ado:

large pistol.gif large rifle.gif Agitator Plate 10.125.gif small pistol.gif

- - - Updated - - -

How do I reply to myself and have it NOT appear as an edit on the previous???

- - - Updated - - -

DRfsdffsdc

- - - Updated - - -

Doggammit!

Yay! I managed to get a placeholder reply in.

Errata:

The CAD program I'm using, DraftSight from Dassault, is free for personal use and very much like AutoCAD (including being file compatible) BUT there is inconsistency in creating dimensions, especially WRT diameters and radii.

The rifle plates have a sharp at the root of the shell slots, but may wind up .0625 radius if I get some time on the CNC router or 2.5 axis bridgeport this week.

The large rifle plate shell slots were well large enough that they would have intruded on each other if I tried to fit them between the star-wheel / agitator plate. Instead, I made a full circle pattern rather than five seperate patterns between the legs of the star, as with the pistol plates.
I intend to cut short one agitator plate and have it end near the slot, rather than at the full radius of the plate.

I haven't made the Small Rifle plate yet, and I may create an "extra small pistol" plate as I reload a lot of .32 S&W Long.

I can provide these plates in DWG2013 format, or DXF, for those that may have access to a CNC router.

Last edited:
Since Lexan / Polycarbonate / Plexiglass costs cubic dollars currently, I will try to source plastic from factory scrap.
Barring that, does anyone have a source for PVC modeling board (http://www.palramamericas.com/docs/upload/F1316_PALIGHT_ProjectPVC_Sales_Sheet.pdf - .236" thick would work)
I'll check art stores tomorrow, Home Depot is a retailer for PALIGHT but they only claim the thin stuff on their website.

1/8 of a stinkin inch. My board mill (2.5 axis CNC router) has one axis limited to 10" and I need 10 & 1/8.
Yes, I can do it in halves and just flip or rotate, but if I'm going to do a setup this week I may as well do it once and cut a bunch.

Bridgeport it is.

And what really burns my biscuits is the fact that I had a WORKING 2.5 axis gantry router with a 13x19x2.5" capacity in storage here, that was destroyed and discarded by facilities in a fit of 5S cleaning. [sad2]

And what really burns my biscuits is the fact that I had a WORKING 2.5 axis gantry router with a 13x19x2.5" capacity in storage here, that was destroyed and discarded by facilities in a fit of 5S cleaning. [sad2]

we do 5S cleanouts. everything i through out i need 2 months later. who ever invented 5S needs a punch in the face.

Wow you should have removed that red tag... when nobody was looking. Too bad they didn't offer it to an employee they probably junked it too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I love working where I do...

attachment.php

- - - Updated - - -

No adhesive, pinned in 10 places with 1/8 dowel pins.

Attachments

• IMG_0906.JPG
    IMG_0906.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 171
5S/6S are programs created by smart people to steal money from idiots. Kind of like the lottery. You never win, but everyone thinks it's a great idea to play.

If you're not doing basic things like keeping your shop clean, having the right tools on hand, understanding that getting product out the door quick is what makes customers happy, etc. Well, you're probably not going to survive long anyway.

5S/6S is the equivalent of hiring a den mom to remind you to clean your room and take a shower. Only she's the crazy mom who flips out, runs into your room with a garbage bag and throws away everything in sight, then the next day asks you why you don't have any cloths.

The sad part is I'm actually trained pretty far into a myriad of programs like that and tons of businesses eat it up like candy when they hear it. Those are the ones you know you can charge top dollar too because they're gullible. Owners who run tight ships and know their business do nothing but laugh when they hear about that stuff,

5S/6S are programs created by smart people to steal money from idiots. Kind of like the lottery. You never win, but everyone thinks it's a great idea to play.

If you're not doing basic things like keeping your shop clean, having the right tools on hand, understanding that getting product out the door quick is what makes customers happy, etc. Well, you're probably not going to survive long anyway.

5S/6S is the equivalent of hiring a den mom to remind you to clean your room and take a shower. Only she's the crazy mom who flips out, runs into your room with a garbage bag and throws away everything in sight, then the next day asks you why you don't have any cloths.

The sad part is I'm actually trained pretty far into a myriad of programs like that and tons of businesses eat it up like candy when they hear it. Those are the ones you know you can charge top dollar too because they're gullible. Owners who run tight ships and know their business do nothing but laugh when they hear about that stuff,

I I call this "Book Of The Month Club!" management. I've been living it almost 25 years.
And im a Six Sigma green belt.

Crap crap crap crap

The ice cream machine motor ($5 at GoodWill) spins about two times too fast.
Shaded pole motor, meaning I can slow it with my variac, but I'll have to look into a more permanent solution.

Crap crap crap crap

The ice cream machine motor ($5 at GoodWill) spins about two times too fast.
Shaded pole motor, meaning I can slow it with my variac, but I'll have to look into a more permanent solution.

Gear it down?

I just stumbled onto this thread and it's something I've been thinking about lately. For my purposes I don't need a case feeder necessarily, just a case right-side-upper would suffice. So basically a case feeder that I can manually grab one upright case at a time. So 90% of a case feeder. D'oh.

Looks like TRIAC lamp dimmers will work. I'll run up to YDI in Needham today at lunch and grab a real motor control, if I can't find one lying about the office.

I swapped out the motor for a smaller lamination thickness example, and is is slightly easier to control but not nearly good enough.
There are two speed motors available In the same frame size and lamination thickness, yielding the same torque but running half the speed.
If the digital control I'm waiting on from amazon fails, I'll swap the motor for a variable speed and wire it for 1500 rather than 3000. From THERE I should be able to achieve a good working speed thru the gear train.
Of course I'm looking into different gearmotors outright but can't find anything compelling for a reasonable cost.

It was fun while it lasted, but...
Bumping, for an update and the abandonment of this project. I found a "real" LNL case feeder NIB for a price I was willing to pay, so this effort is going to be karma'd.

The Amazon digital sine-wave chopper controller failed on the too-fast shaded pole motors.
I then found an old BBQ rotisserie that was too slow and was still not controllable, and has a much higher quality gearbox, so I started looking to DC motors. I HAVE a motor that will drop in to the rotisserie geartrain, but at this point it may be better for the karma winner to just do this: http://www.amazon.com/TSINY-Reversi...1455895617&sr=8-3&keywords=4rpm+gear+motor+dc

I'll post pictures tomorrow, in a Karma thread.
The state of the project, and the contents of the karma, will be:
Yellow 5 gallon bucket, cut on an angle like commercial case feeders.
The bottom of the bucket is sandwiched top and bottom in 3/4" shelf material, melamine clad particle board.
Hole is cut in the center of the bucket and thru the melamine shelfboards.
Mounting screws thru the bucket bottom, with a piece of 1.5" 80/20 extruded aluminum
1.5" 80/20 extruded aluminum vertical about two feet tall, cut at a 45deg angle and drilled for the bolt spacing of a Lock-n-Load AP.
45" angle brackets in black plastic to connect the vertical to the bucket mount
Black plastic angle plate for the base of the output funnel and control panel
Various hardware for 80/20 fastening
The gearbox, motor, and motor mount if the karma recipient wants it.
A few microswitches and sundries for the control system.
And, of course, the bucket feed small pistol plate in black plastic, above. This will have a flat coil spring for the clutch function.

I need to adapt my feeder plate CAD at the beginning of this thread to be sized for the LnL feeder bucket, or just knuckle down and buy the damn things...

Hello, All.

Great thread, but I have a question. I have been reloading for a while, and am looking forward to building a case feeder from a 5 gallon bucket. As a question, is the lid of the bucket suitable to make a case plate?

Also, I'm thinking of using a windshield wiper motor, due to preferring working with 12 volts, and the 2 speeds. Any thoughts, suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you, I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go along.

James

Back
Top Bottom