• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

DIY Belly band holster

babygorilla

NES Member
So, I can't stand when a IWB holser pulls down on your belt. Yes, I've got a good belt, I use a 5.11 operator 1.75". Still, it kinda weighs down my pants. I'm also a fan of kydex holsters. I've tried Alien Gear, and currently run a StealthGear revolution for my G19 and Shield (winter v summer carries).

I've got a few kydex appendix, but appendix carry just wasn't for me. I've always been intrigued by Belly Band holsters, and decided to try one out, since it might make a good addition to my EDC when walking the dog in gym shorts.

I liked the fit, but could not stand the retention, and felt the trigger may be a little too unprotected, since I carry with one in the pipe and carry striker fired, no safety. That's what the booger hook is for.

So I decided to bastardize a cheapo $20 neoprene (the elastic band belly bands seem they may deteriorate quicker) by adding a cheapo $20 IWB appendix kydex. Crossbreed makes an ICE belly band that is similar, but again, elastic instead of neoprene. Seems prone to easy material degradation. I think for $60 it should be better made.

I cut off the stupid elastic retainers on the belly band, unscrewed the belt clip, put the kydex into the pouch on the belly band, and then screwed the belt clip back on through the material of the pouch.

When carrying now on the waistline the belly band is clipped onto the belt (thus helping in holding up your pants) the retention is Kydex awesomeness as well as trigger protection.

The combo of belt, kydex and belly band keeps the thing close at my 3:30ish, with no movement. Taking a dump only requires you to slide the belly band up, then down when done. So easy peezy, no free toilet guns for the next guy, no reholstering after retrieving from your undies, LOL. It's also easy on in the AM, easy off in the PM, I don't even remove it from the holster, just wrap it up and put it in the safe unless sweaty.

Downsides are it is warm (neoprene) and you still need a undershirt to keep the grip from tearing up your love handles. The cant on a belly band pouch is 0 degrees (vertical), so you have to kind of live with that or cut some stitches to get the can't you like. Once you have the cant, it is there forever. I'm okay with pretty much any cant, just requires draw adjustment for me. I don't care if the Gen Pop sees an outline. I just say it's an external pacemaker, lol.

For about $40 it is by far the most comfortable way of carrying I've found to date. It's also versatile as far as pants, and can even be adjusted for opposite draw, high side, under pit for when I'm going zoot suit.

Just though you all would benefit from my experience. Especially newbs looking for a holster. 20181020_120629.jpg

I like this idea. I’m thinking of putting a remora in my belly band because I’m not convinced the belly band protects the trigger fully.

Back
Top Bottom