• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Diving for treasure

jim/boston

NES Member
Some of you may remember booty from a previous dive trip
divegunssp4.jpg

hunting for lobsters and other goodies
jkaqsy.jpg

Its an SP1 with collapsible stock..badly corroded but the bolt was still usable after cleaning.

I found the best lobsters are in an area marked 'dump' on the charts

Some of you may remember booty from a previous dive trip
divegunssp4.jpg

hunting for lobsters and other goodies
jkaqsy.jpg

Its an SP1 with collapsible stock..badly corroded but the bolt was still usable after cleaning.

I found the best lobsters are in an area marked 'dump' on the charts

stop telling stories Jim...we all know those are just SARCO "hand picked" parts kits... [wink]

How long do you think they were down there? Seems like saltwater does a number on aluminum rather quickly. The other treated steel parts seem to be pretty corrosion resistant.

How long do you think they were down there? Seems like saltwater does a number on aluminum rather quickly. The other treated steel parts seem to be pretty corrosion resistant.

The aluminum provided galvanic corrosion protection to the ferric metals... preferentially corroding away.

My guess is, not that long. Maybe 10 years or maybe 20? The steel won't last much longer, unless it was covered with mud, which was probably the case.

I think I'll demand it be fixed under warranty..I'll settle for a replacement pre-ban receiver

I recall reading a letter to the editor in one of the gun magazines years ago about something similar. Some guy found a Remington 700 in the mud at the bottom of a stream. It was in the middle of a ford that jeeps and trucks used frequently, and had been run over numerous times. He washed it off and sent it in to Remington; they fixed everything like new. (The Leupold scope on it was still in perfect working condition.)

Ken

Cool pics what a waste to destory them and dump them in the ocean, you would think that the dotgov was made of money throwing potential revenue away like that lol

Back
Top Bottom