• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dive Day?

I did not want to hijack the post started by The Jeff, so here's a new one. Calling all NES divers out there, any interest in doing a dive day or two? I am itching to get wet and the season is opening up soon.

Most of my diving has been in the Gloucester and Rockport area, but would love to do some diving on the South Shore. Any interest?

I dive, snorkle actually more now. The Dr says I really should'nt dive being spinally fused X4 and not as flexiable as most people are. So I'd be game to keep a eye on you from the top 8-10 ft. I can free dive that deep with a snorkle. I mostly head to SShore public beach's / or / private areas but i'm equippted and up for anywhere theres stuff to be seen, anyone know of any fairly shallow wrecks or such. Plus I've very few friends who like the same so another diving buddy is always a plus Id guess for everyone. Best place I ever went diving was sombreo (sp) reef off the FL keys. How about you where have you really seen or been involved in alot of great diving? ETA A GOOD FRIEND keeps a boat slipped in Revere, I usually can get accesses to, but its only comfortable for 4.

Last edited:
I also invite an NES member who is interested, to try diving near my house in Revere. I live 3 minutes walk from the beach, shore entry on sandy beach. BarbQ afterwards @ my place. Only downside: it's revere.

I actually like Revere, though from Revere Beach down to Back Beach it's pretty boring shallow sand until really far out. Closer to Winthrop (out on that point whose name I forget) it's more interesting.

Boat diving would be great--judging by the recent posts here, any boat trip involving NES members is going to involve firearms getting lost overboard left and right. "Finders keepers!"

I actually like Revere, though from Revere Beach down to Back Beach it's pretty boring shallow sand until really far out. Closer to Winthrop (out on that point whose name I forget) it's more interesting.

Boat diving would be great--judging by the recent posts here, any boat trip involving NES members is going to involve firearms getting lost overboard left and right. "Finders keepers!"

amb: do tell about winthrop. Where in winthrop do are you talking about diving? I'd love to see it.

I'd love to get in on something like this... I've been out of this sport for a few years and have been thinking about it recently. I need to get my tanks hydroed and regs serviced, oh, and I think my wetsuit probably "shrunk" since the last time I had it on. I'll keep watching this thread. My mother has a place on Peggoty Beach in Scituate we could always go there at some point in the summer too.

Certified and subscribing, wife and I have been meaning to sample the cold dark and foreboding waters[wink] up here since we came up 11 years ago (has it really been that long?) We do most of our diving off FL...

[popcorn]

amb: do tell about winthrop. Where in winthrop do are you talking about diving? I'd love to see it.

First off, when I wrote "Back Beach" above I meant Short Beach. Which is completely boring as a dive spot. But I did a long snorkel from there once last summer, and out towards Winthrop Highlands it started getting deeper, rockier, and a little more interesting.

If there was a place to get into the water right off of the highlands it might be a decent trip, but access looks bad. A shore dive right off of Winthrop Beach might be good, though. The charts show it falling off a bit more quickly, and with a rocky bottom.

It still might stink! But once of these days I'll check it out.

Ah....it's a little cold don't cha think? I'm game in late June. As I posted on the other thread, I'd LOVE to see the U-Boat in Rhode Island

Great...I'm now watching "Into the Blue". Now not only do I wanna dive, but I wanna dive with Jessica Alba!

Mmmmmmm yummy Jessica Alba! [grin]

I would say April was when we usually got in the water in out wet suits. I dive dry now so I'm game for anything. You can dive wet right now, What we used to do was bring a few big thermos of warm water with us. Right before we got in we would fill our suit with the water. This would keep us from getting that initial "chill" when the suit flooded and we would be happy for most of the dive.

Back Beach and Folley Cove are 2 of my favorite dives.

What we used to do was bring a few big thermos of warm water with us. Right before we got in we would fill our suit with the water.
[laugh] Well, I guess that's the polite way to do it... [laugh]

But yes, a little warm liquid in there (from whatever source[wink]) goes a long way towards allow you to adjust gently to the cold...

I'd love to join you guys, but I don't think my wetsuit fits anymore.. and my other gear needs to be replaced. They stopped making parts for my regulator, so I can't get it serviced anymore.

So I'd have to rent to join you... Hmmm, that reminds me, my tanks need to be hydro'ed again.

I used to be an avid Rockport/Gloucester diver years ago (damn, I'm starting to sound like an old fart now). One of my favorites was always Cathedral Rocks (gotta be there at the right tide, and wind direction).

When I was first certified, my cert dive was about this time of year (early March), if I remember the water temp. was about 34 or 36 F!

Anyone want to buy (or trade for) a Nikonos V that's in incredibly great condition? :)

[laugh] Well, I guess that's the polite way to do it... [laugh]

But yes, a little warm liquid in there (from whatever source[wink]) goes a long way towards allow you to adjust gently to the cold...

2 extra large Dunks coffees prior to diving will provide you with plenty of warmth at depth.[wink]

I have PADI cert. but prefer to snorkle. Bolt, maybe these guys (and girls) will head down to Little Compton, Sakonett Point is a fun snorkle and scuba site w/ lots of fish / rocks. For some of you it would be a day trip though. Catch high tide on a day with little wind and calm seas for the last day or so and visability is really good. Any spearfishermen can usually look forward to Tautaug and stripers when they are in (although RI has a length requirment hard to measure while spearfishing, on stripers. But, Tautaug are good eating fish.

Back
Top Bottom