• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

disturbing the peace for open carrying!!!

"Texas, the gun-friendliest state in the Union." [rolleyes]

I can think of at least half-dozen states that are more gun friendly than Texas: VT, WY, AK (hehe), AR (hehe), MT, NH and UT.

Don't forget Az. Texas is a very diverse state and there are a lot of different social and demographic strata.

A lot of people here probably won't believe us when we tell them that New England had more legal concealed carriers in it for a loooooong assed time before Texas even passed shall issue. It took a bunch of innocent people getting killed by a madman in a cafeteria before TX got its head out of its ass.

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

"Texas, the gun-friendliest state in the Union." [rolleyes]

I can think of at least half-dozen states that are more gun friendly than Texas: VT, WY, AK (hehe), AR (hehe), MT, NH and UT.

Maine is, easily, too. It has less prohibited locations in relative terms, and no shooting test for a carry license.

-Mike

And i thought it was the wild west, cant even open carry a hand gun, whats the world coming too

Though Texas is an open carry state, a gun store owner in the city of Beaumont is facing a misdemeanor charge of disturbing the peace for carrying his AR-15 rifle across his shoulder through a shopping mall.
The Texas open carry law allows state residents to carry rifles if it’s not done in a threatening manner. Handguns are not allowed to be carried in open, and a person must have a concealed carry handgun license.

I don't see a LOT of reasons to go walking through a mall with an AR-15 slung over your shoulder. But if it's allowed by law, how can they cite him? Is the mall a 'gun free zone?'

Indeed. From the comments:

#20)Carrying or displaying weapons of any kind except those carried by certified law enforcement officers in the performance of their duties.
http://www.parkdalemalltx.com/code-of-conduct

(more edits/adds).

His "store" is not a full-service gun shop. Seems they sell some accessories, including complete AR uppers, parts, training, and such, but not complete guns.

http://goldtritac.com/index.html

Last edited:
I don't see a LOT of reasons to go walking through a mall with an AR-15 slung over your shoulder. But if it's allowed by law, how can they cite him? Is the mall a 'gun free zone?'

They make stuff up, like "disturbing the peace" or "disorderly conduct". It's like step 3 in the "douche cop manual".

-Mike

It's long surprised me that open carry in Texas is not legal. The exception is on private property with the owners permission. They also have more stringent training requirements than MA, and up until last year that included retraining with every renewal.

However, it is shall issue and minor violations result in fines or suspension of your CCW. That doesn't mean that you'll never be able to own guns again, just that you can't carry concealed for the duration of your suspension.

They also track crimes by CCW holders. Their data is very specific and the number of violations by CCW holders is very small. Which gives lie to the whole thing about lawful gun owners committing crime.

Yes, we had concealed carry long before Texas, but on balance their gun laws are much better than ours.

That posted video was rather boring, the suggested video that loaded afterwards about ghetto chicks fighting however was entertaining.

Texas isn't the bastion of liberty some seem think it is. This is a case of that. Also look at where most of the videos we see of police abusing their power come from......

This is true and very sad. One would assume TX to be the best state in the country for firearms ownership, but sadly that is not the case.

Texas has a huge Hispanic population and they probably vote for democrats. I'm sure eventually it will end up like California. It reminds of a line from Braveheart,
Longshanks: Are they? Are they? The trouble with Scotland... is that it's full of Scots! [everyone laughs] Perhaps the time has come to reinstitute an old custom. Grant them prima noctes. First night, when any common girl inhabiting their lands is married, our nobles shall have sexual rights to her on the night of her wedding. If we can't get them out, we breed them out. That should fetch just the kind of lords we want to Scotland, taxes or no taxes

Indeed. From the comments:

(more edits/adds).

His "store" is not a full-service gun shop. Seems they sell some accessories, including complete AR uppers, parts, training, and such, but not complete guns.

http://goldtritac.com/index.html

Put a store like that in Natick - that would be effin EPIC!!!

If it's legal, it's legal, but I've got to wonder: what exactly did he think was going to happen? Sounds like he was an attention-seeker.

If it's legal, it's legal, but I've got to wonder: what exactly did he think was going to happen? Sounds like he was an attention-seeker.

My thoughts exactly. Just cause it's legal doesn't always make it the smart thing to do. HAve a brain. I thought he was going to have a pistol holstered on his side. With todays shite going on that was just stupid!

Clearly an illegal arrest, because he didn't commit a crime.

Texas Penal Code
Sec. 42.01. DISORDERLY CONDUCT. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly:
8) displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm;

Texas Penal Code
Sec. 42.01. DISORDERLY CONDUCT. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly:
8) displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm;

If it turns out to be, I hope he sues the $hit out of the city and county.

Texas Penal Code

i'm no lawyer but that seems like a pretty subjectively written code. Best of luck to him but I wouldnt want to be in his (self-inflicted) position

out here they can issue you a ltc at age 18-20 but its rare. so i open carry on a daily basis and when i get stopped i say its cause they won't issue me a cwl. i figure if it happens enough times they'll give in

Back
Top Bottom