Distinguished Revolver Scoring help!

Jim Poulette

NES Member
Sorry, I'm usually not this thick - but I need a better explanation of how the points are awarded in Distinquished Revolver scoring.

"Awards - The NRA Distinguished Revolver Badge will be awarded to those competitors who earn a total of 30 points through unassisted individual competition in NRA Distinguished Revolver Matches. Credit points will be awarded to the highest scoring 10 percent of all non-Distinguished Revolver competitors firing the match ranked in order of merit. Fractions of .5 and over will be resolved to the next whole number. Smaller fractions will not be considered. The winning ten percent as described above will be further broken down and credit points awarded as follows:

To the highest scoring 1/6th of the 10% qualifying - 10 points
To the next highest scoring 1/3rd of the 10% qualifying - 8 points
To the remaining competitors authorized credit points - 6 points"

It's unclear to me why they include "non-Distinguished Revolver competitors" in this explanation. For some reason I'm just not getting it....... [popcorn]

I'm don't know the answer, but given the overuse of the word distinguished in the shooting community, you might want to clarify what discipline.

I believe you are talking about the NRA Police Pistol Combat award for NRA Police Revolver Distinguished program. Is this correct?

B

Only 53 guy have have achieved NRA Distinguished Revolver Status in the last 5 years.

I think the reason for that is their the only ones who could figure out the rules.

Only 53 guy have have achieved NRA Distinguished Revolver Status in the last 5 years.

I think the reason for that is their the only ones who could figure out the rules.

That and the fact that the NRA only allows police to participate. Allowing civilians to shoot at silhouette targets would result in a lot of bed wetting on Waples Mill Road.

B

LEO for DR?

In going over the NRA rules several times - I see no requirement for LEO to be issued an NRA-DR. My only other questions is whether or not the match has to be specifically identified as "DE" - or can you shoot the national match course in any NRA sanctioned event and count that toward the final score. I would think national match is national match, regardless of who else is shooting. [popcorn]

I see. Apparently there is a NRA Distinguished Revolver award that can be earned in Conventional Bullseye pistol, which is different than the NRA Police Distinguished Revolver which was the only one I was aware of. See what some of us mean when we say the term is overused?

NRA Conventional Pistol (bullseye targets)- allows anyone to participate
NRA Police Pistol Combat (silhouette targets) - Only allows peace officers to participate

I don't know enough about pistol matches to answer your question. If someone dosen't post an answer, I'd post it over on the Bullseye-L list.

B

Brian, this is very similar to the CMP Rifle and Pistol Excellence In Competition programs. In fact, the points award schedule is almost the same, if not identical.

JP, to answer your questions.....

1) The NRA Distinguished Revolver matches are stand alone events. They are usually scheduled during an NRA Conventional Pistol Regional match weekend. You can shoot in the Conventional Pistol match with revolvers so long as you have them in the required calibers. But to earn points towards the Distinguished Revolver Shooter badge, you must compete in the DR match.

2) The reason only non-Distinguished Revolver shooters are counted for points awards is because that is how the military and CMP Distinguished Rifle and Pistol programs are set up and the NRA mimics that part of their rules. The logic is that those who are not yet Distinguished should not have to compete for points against those who already are and thus do not need more points.

3) The points break down is simpler to understand if you put some real numbers. Suppose there is a DR match where there are 45 non-Distinguished shooters competing. Once scoring is done, the non-D shooters are ranked among themselves based on final score. The top 10% of those 45 will be considered for points. Since 10% of 45 is 4.5. the number is rounded up to 5. The top 1/6 of those 5 get 10 points. Since 5 x 1/6 = .8, round up and the top guy out of the 5 gets the 10 points. Then the next 1/3 get 8 points. Since 5 x 1/3 = 1.67, round up to 2. That means that two shooters (shooters 2 and 3 out of the top 5 non-D) get 8 points. There are two shooters left (4th and 5th) in the top 10% of the non-Distinguished competitors, so they get 6 points each.

After a shooter accumulates a certain number of points (30 IIRC), they earn the NRA Distinguished Revolver Shooter badge.

Mo Info

Jose/Brian - Thanks for the info and clarification, that's kind of what I thought. I'm assuming that if the total non-DR competitor count is low, say 4 instaed of 45, that the "top guy" doesn't necessarily get all of the points. Regardless, it looks like accumulating enought points could be challanging. I'm entering my first DR shoot in a few weeks and looking forward to it. I was at the range yesterday with my M27, the TF and RF I'm not worried about - but the 50yd SF is giving me fits!! I think I actually prefer the smaller targets at 25yds, but then again - who probably doesn't......?

[popcorn]

... it looks like accumulating enought points could be challanging. I'm entering my first DR shoot in a few weeks and looking forward to it.

Best of luck. Any time you start down a road for one of these types of awards the journey can be challenging. Enjoy overcoming them, as it makes the destination that much sweeter.

B

Back
Top Bottom