• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Distinguished marksman

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
Derek,

Not being a jarhead, just a plain ole grunt, how does the badge you use as your avatar, relate to marksmanship levels in other branches?

For example the Army has (had?) :

Marksman (qualified), Sharpshooter (better), Expert (best)

I qualified as expert with an M14 - it's the only weapon I ever used in 4 years in the Army - except for a hand grenade.

I'm interested in your medal.

Each branch has their own Distinguished medals. They are all earned the same way regardless which branch you are in.

It is the senior markmanship medal with the exception of an International Distinguished badge. It is worn in leiu of qualification badges. Once you've become distinguished in the Marines you don't need to qualify ever again.

alldec.gif

They started it in 1884. [wink] There isn't a difference between rifleman and marksman. It's just they naming convention they decided to use. The distinguished pistol badge says "Distinguished Pistol Shot".

TonyD said:
Also, you can earn this badge as a civillian, it just won't have a service branch attatched, but the requiremennts are the same.

The bottom left badge is the Civilian badge.

TonyD said:
Also, you can earn this badge as a civillian, it just won't have a service branch attatched, but the requiremennts are the same.

What are the requirements, and how does one go about doing it? Is this through CMP?

Just wondering... I'm not a good enough shot to need to know any time soon!

The match has to be shot over the national match course. 200, 300, and 600 meters. It has to be a designated "Leg" match. If you finish in the top 10 percent you earn leg points. 1st place is 10 points, second is 8 points, and third is 6 points. Once you have earned a total of 30 points, and you have at least one 1st or 2nd place finish, you become distinguished.

You are only allowed to shoot 3 of these "Leg" matches a year, you can shoot 4 if one of them is the National Championship.

Yes, it's through the CMP service rifle matches. They are called EIC (Excellence In Comptition) matches. Often referred to as 'Leg' matches. You can only compete in 3 Leg matches a year plus the NTI at Perry during the nationals.

Derek finished up his points right before the NTI and the pictures that were posted was of him receiving his badge on stage at the ceremony at Perry. Derek was eligable for the USMC badge because he earned Leg points in the Corps. When I become distiguished, I won't get the USMC badge.

I'm going to move this to the Comp. forum.

derek said:
The match has to be shot over the national match course. 200, 300, and 600 meters. It has to be a designated "Leg" match. If you finish in the top 10 percent you earn leg points. 1st place is 10 points, second is 8 points, and third is 6 points. Once you have earned a total of 30 points, and you have at least one 1st or 2nd place finish, you become distinguished.

You are only allowed to shoot 3 of these "Leg" matches a year, you can shoot 4 if one of them is the National Championship.

Do you have to earn the points all in the same year?

DR said:
derek said:

Do you have to earn the points all in the same year?

No, most folks spend several years chasing it. That's why they limit the number you can shoot per year.

Pilgrim said:
gosh, it's tough to figure where to place a posting.

Not really. If it relates to competition, i.e. Leg matches, it goes in the Competition forum. If it relates to reloading it goes in the reloading forum. Guns, holsters, ammo...Equip/Ammo, etc, etc.

Ross, not sure where the term 'Leg" was coined. Just what everyone calls it.

TonyD said:
Pilgrim said:
gosh, it's tough to figure where to place a posting.

Not really. If it relates to competition, i.e. Leg matches, it goes in the Competition forum. If it relates to reloading it goes in the reloading forum. Guns, holsters, ammo...Equip/Ammo, etc, etc.

Do you move them if the subject... wanders? Sorta like this one which started off describing medals and sorta went to match types.

I'm not complaining at all just curious as to how things work as I'm still kinda new and feeling my way around.

It hasn't strayed. The question was about how to obtain the DMB. That is what has been explained.

Unless, I misunderstood your original question and the follow ups.

TonyD said:
It hasn't strayed. The question was about how to obtain the DMB. That is what has been explained.

Unless, I misunderstood your original question and the follow ups.

Nope my original question was what was the medal as I had never seen it, but looking back I can see how it got to where it is.

I understand why it was moved...thanks.

No prob. Looking back, I realize it was specifically addressed to Derek and I should have left it to him. My bad. Just typing out some jitters before I start the state match this afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom