• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Disposing unknown powder

A friend of mine gave me almost 200 once fired .270 cartridges. These have been reloaded but with an unknown powder. I do not trust the load, but the cases are in great shape. I have removed the projectiles from all of them and now have a decent amount of powder to get rid of.

What is the best, safest, most environmentally responsible way to dispose of this stuff?

Thank you.

Chris

Where I live I can take it out side and light it up a quick flash and it’s gone
Or I have threw it in the garden and tilled it in

maxresdefault.jpg

I once burnt "sweepings" from an indoor range, a full 5 gallon pail of them. I bet it would burn and the other guys said it was just dirt and burnt powder and wouldn't do much. To say it was impressive is an understatement. Flame was at least 25 feet high with a nice volume of smoke. I guess you don't have to guess what gets my vote...

Burn it or supplement your fertilizer.

In my younger days I would have used it for other dumb things which would get me arrested now.

I once burnt "sweepings" from an indoor range, a full 5 gallon pail of them. I bet it would burn and the other guys said it was just dirt and burnt powder and wouldn't do much. To say it was impressive is an understatement. Flame was at least 25 feet high with a nice volume of smoke. I guess you don't have to guess what gets my vote...

A guy at my club once brought a couple 5 gal bucket of sweepings from his ammo loading business. They said it was quite the impressive fire and he won’t do that again.

I burn relatively small amounts either on the snow or in my fire pit.

A guy at my club once brought a couple 5 gal bucket of sweepings from his ammo loading business. They said it was quite the impressive fire and he won’t do that again.

I burn relatively small amounts either on the snow or in my fire pit.
Wouldn't do it again??? What's not to like about smoke and fire...

Back
Top Bottom