• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Disposal of botched reloads

What do you do with botched reloads? I don't want to pull the bullets and want to dispose of them lawfully and safely. I have about a two pound coffee can full of assorted rounds.

Our club has a five gallon can of oil that all duds go into. After a good soaking, they are harmless.

However, I always pull and recycle any botched reloads. It isn't that big of a deal.

Our club has a five gallon can of oil that all duds go into. After a good soaking, they are harmless.

However, I always pull and recycle any botched reloads. It isn't that big of a deal.

Sound advice (both the oil and the pulling). Bill, you need to get one of these.

Ahem, not that I've ever used it...[rolleyes]

Pulling them shouldn't be a big deal, the impact pullers work very well...

Of course, mine has almost no use [smile] If you're botching enough for it to be a pain... then you're doing something wrong.

Bill,

To answer your question, go to your local gun club's range and look for the "Dud Bucket" and drop 'em in. Almost every range I've been to has one. It's usually a 5-gallon pail filled with used motor oil.

However, if we're talking about 100's of rounds, you might want to post a "free components" ad here.

Jim

I wonder how the reliable the oil is for destroying the rounds..

As a test once, I soaked some loaded rounds in water for a couple of weeks, took them out, and fired 4 without issue from one of my guns, and pulled the other apart to find that water had not penetrated the round at all... I also soaked some primers, then primed cases and they all ignited.

Adam

I just remembered... I have some used waste oil at home... I think I will drop a couple rounds in it, let them soak and test fire/disassemble to see...

I have 498 rounds of .308 that needs to be disposed of. The second shot blew up my gun - split out the side of the case. I pulled a couple and found them all to be completely corroded. Even the base and boat tail of the bullet where in contacted the powder.

I pulled about 100 and try tried tumbling the bullets to get the corrosion of as I'd like to reuse them. It didn't work all that well. I may try vinegar. The cases, however, are corroded to the point of weakening the case wall and I'm not going to spend 10 minutes each case to dig out the powder. I'll pull all the bullets even if I can't use them and soak the cases in water.

So, the moral is - pull the bullets!

I have 498 rounds of .308 that needs to be disposed of. The second shot blew up my gun - split out the side of the case. I pulled a couple and found them all to be completely corroded. Even the base and boat tail of the bullet where in contacted the powder.

I pulled about 100 and try tried tumbling the bullets to get the corrosion of as I'd like to reuse them. It didn't work all that well. I may try vinegar. The cases, however, are corroded to the point of weakening the case wall and I'm not going to spend 10 minutes each case to dig out the powder. I'll pull all the bullets even if I can't use them and soak the cases in water.

I would be happy to take them off your hands, & pull the bullets, but by your profile, you are far south & I am located in north central Ma.

Why don't you get a bullet pulling die for your press?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...370106&cm_ite=0012539213979a&_requestid=14180

Wow Uncle... I've never even seen that before. Looks very interesting.

I've used impact hammers... but they are a PITA for more than a couple at a time. For some reason I need to whack them about ten good times for the bullet to drop. But I hit a carpet over cement to make sure the plastic doesn't break.

Wow Uncle... I've never even seen that before. Looks very interesting.

I've used impact hammers... but they are a PITA for more than a couple at a time. For some reason I need to whack them about ten good times for the bullet to drop. But I hit a carpet over cement to make sure the plastic doesn't break.
Firts off try using your seating die to push the bullet in just a might that will break any sealant or crimp,Next use a piece of 4x4 or 6x6 post to hit the puller on and you'll have better luck in pulling the bullets

the .22 cal is for .222, .223, .22-250, etc. And the .17 is for the all the .17 cal centerfire cartridges that are made - .17 remington, .17 Ackley Bee, etc.

Back
Top Bottom