• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dishwasher Safe?? Anyone????

Has anyone seen the write up on Milsurps.com about degreasing metal
gun parts,and wood stocks, in the dishwasher? and if you have, has
anyone tried it yet? the photo.s look to good to be true!! i have a stock
off of a Greek rack grade H&R Garand that is so ratty i might just throw
in the dishwasher just to see the results!! (as soon as the wife go,s to
the Mall) you can bet on that!!

Take Care Sheriff Dudley

Have read all the pros and cons about it. For the metal no problem. I'd never do the dishwasher or EasyOff method to wood.
If you want to talk about wood, meet up with "Cabinetman" on ParallaxBill's Curio & Relic and Military Surplus Firearms Forums at:
Milsurpshooter.Net
His name is Rome and Mods the stock cleaning forum. He knows wood!

dishwasher safe

Thanks for that info! sounds like the right guys to get a hold of,
but i have tried the Easy Off oven cleaner on an old Enfield stock
years ago and it came out good, of corse i did it out side in the hot
sun! the crud came right out but i did have to apply three coats then
i rinsed it with water and let it dry in the sun, with no warpage then
a little sanding and a little Toung Oil. it looked great till i swaped it off
as i have done before and then wanted anouther one, and im looking for anouther one now. and the beat go,s on and on! being a victim of( the

MILSURP FLU :)

Take Care Sheriff Dudley

Personally I would never put any gun parts, solvents, cosmo, etc. in any dishwasher or oven that I would ever use for food!

Not worth the risk of any of that crap in getting onto dishes or into food. Can't be good for you!

One gun club I used to belong to had a dishwasher donated that they used only for the air filters on the range . . . then into the septic tank or cesspool only tens of yards from a stream and the two fish ponds! Bon appetite!!

Dishwasher safe??

yup! thats a good point , LenS. Food, Dishes, etc; so i guese ill stick
with the Easy Off in the yard on a sunny day. so i guese no one other
than tha guy that wrote that artical has tried that Trick!!
i wonder what his food tastes like??
thank for the comments!
Take Care, Sheriff Dudley. :)

There is a fair amount of information at www.surplusrifle.com on degreasing MilSurps. This, http://surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/lowheatmethod2/index.asp

is a really interesting idea. I don't like some of the techniques he used in construction, but the notes in part III include some comments and improvements. If I could find a six foot or so steel tube, it would be ideal. Other wise, riveting or bolting two trash barrels together would work.

I'll chime in with the others about putting anything like this anywhere near where my food it. Which is too bad because a friend of mine has a 14 foot slow cook barbecue trailer that he built. Max temperature is about 140 degrees. <G>

Gary

Two words... Purple Power. Its available at WalMart for $4 a gallon. It degreases stocks and strips old finishes off and as long as you rinse well theres no wood damage. I let dirty stocks sit for 20 mins after spraying them down, then use a red scotch brite pad to scrub and rinse well. A day of drying and its ready for oiling.
This method works best on K98 stocks as its easy to return them to original finish using tung oil or BLO. These no real collector value in Yugo refurbed K98s so I see no harm in refinishing this type of rifle. I would never use it on a collectable bring back though. Some stuff just shouldn't be messed with. Old grimey CMP Garands that have been rearsenaled, or cheap run of the mill rifles like Yugos are ok in my book for a refinish.
If you just want to get the grease out of a stock and leave it be, try a hand held steamer like the GE model at Wal Mart for $30. It blasts away cosmolene and dirt and leaves the stock ok.

Nickle said:
For a envionmentally friendly degreaser, consider Simple Green. Just make sure to rinse with lots of water, and oil very liberally after.

+1 for Simple Green. Thats stuff is great if used properly. When I was in the Army we used to get pallets full of 5 gallon buckets of that stuff in. The smell won't kill ya either.

Moderator said:
Nickle said:
For a envionmentally friendly degreaser, consider Simple Green. Just make sure to rinse with lots of water, and oil very liberally after.

+1 for Simple Green. Thats stuff is great if used properly. When I was in the Army we used to get pallets full of 5 gallon buckets of that stuff in. The smell won't kill ya either.

Contractor for the Air Force, we used gallons of that stuff as well.

Dishwasher safe ??

Garys wrote about finding a six foot metal tube or riviting two
trash barrels together!! what about a six foot length of PVC
sewage pipe, maybe that might work especialy hooking up light sockets
like thay did in the rubish cans! no chance of shock! i think! only thing i
know about electricity is how to change batteries in a flashlight, then
again i have to do it a couple of times to get that right!

Take Care Sheriff Dudley :)

Back
Top Bottom