Discrete coyote removal help

Hi

I have a coyote that is becoming a nusaince and I need to get rid of it. I have neighbors fairly close(400 - 500 ft) so I am looking for a realatively quiet way to solve the problem. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you

Put a fake cast on your arm, pretend you're having trouble loading furniture into a windowless van, ask it to help you, when it's in the van, punch it in the face then slam the van door. Drive it to your house. Put it in a hole in your basement and make it rub itself with lotion. Make sure it does this whenever it is told.

Put a fake cast on your arm, pretend you're having trouble loading furniture into a windowless van, ask it to help you, when it's in the van, punch it in the face then slam the van door. Drive it to your house. Put it in a hole in your basement and make it rub itself with lotion. Make sure it does this whenever it is told.

Or else it gets the hose again.

LOL!

Hi

I have a coyote that is becoming a nusaince and I need to get rid of it. I have neighbors fairly close(400 - 500 ft) so I am looking for a realatively quiet way to solve the problem. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you
Get a bow or find a friend with one. Where are you located?

In MA, if another state then I am not sure what Fish & Game would do.
Fish & Wildlife will offer you technical advice about scaring it away. They may offer you a trap to try and catch it. They may even send over a biologist or EPO to take a look at the situation.

My advice (off the record) is to hit it (if it is safe) with a .22cb in the head. One shot, anymore than that and the neighbors will get jiggy.

Last edited:
If you have any plans to take care of it yourself I wouldn't give the fish cops a call. Stay off the radar.

Are your neighbors beign harrased by the coyote as well? They may appreciate any effort you put forward to get rid of it. If you know them well, perhaps ask.

Either trap, bow, or something like a CCI CB .22 would be the way to go. They are fairly quiet. As Catoperat said as well, I bet nobody would notice 1 shot. Any more and it may be questionable.

Review 15 for Gamo Whisper .177-caliber Air Rifle Combo
Overall Rating: 4 out of 5 4 out of 5
Good Pellet Gun, July 28, 2008
By newhunterinSV from San Jose, CA

"Got the Gamo Whisper rifle mainly to take care of coyotes and other varmints on my property, so needed something with high FPS velocity to penetrate and kill clean.
I took the gun with the PBA ammo and tested it out on a target box loaded with packing material to test the penetrating ability. The PBA Raptor ammo is loud, even with the silencer, but at 1200 FPS, that should be expected. Still, "loud" is not too bad, as any nearby neighbors would still be miffed to know what that sound was they just heard. It's nothing that'll get them curious. The PBA Raptor ammo does the job, I had it sighted in to a 3" circle with the scope attached and calibrated in about 5 shots at about 50 feet away. As for penetrating power, it definitely cut through several inches of dense paper packing material. Get a clean lung or skull shot on a coyote, and this will put him down. Unfortunately, with the long reload time to cock the arm and load a pellet, one shot is all you'll get on an animal.

I later put up some more targets and used lead pellets which will travel slower, around 1000 fps. I put about 50 rounds through it at ranges from 50 to 80 ft or so, I didn't actually measure off the distance. The drop off isn't as much as I was expecting with lead pellets, only about 1" at around 80 ft.
Firing is quite consistent within a 5" spread at those ranges, and firing offhand, so the gun's pretty accurate for my novice shooting ability.
It's actually a good starter gun, I was able to teach my wife to use it, who's never handled a gun in her life. She was able to get comfortable with it and was within 4" circle at about 50 ft with it.
Notables:
-Good weight and balance, easy to shoot offhand
-Hard cocking arm (too much for my wife to pull)
-Scope included is good quality
-Trigger pull is a bit too long
-Good with PBA Raptor and lead flathead pellets
-Pretty silent with lead pellets, louder with PBA Raptor but still not bad noise level if you've got some trees around to absorb noise.
-no shoulder harness attachments is a drawback"

Review 15 for Gamo Whisper .177-caliber Air Rifle Combo
Overall Rating: 4 out of 5 4 out of 5
Good Pellet Gun, July 28, 2008
By newhunterinSV from San Jose, CA

"Got the Gamo Whisper rifle mainly to take care of coyotes and other varmints on my property, so needed something with high FPS velocity to penetrate and kill clean.
I took the gun with the PBA ammo and tested it out on a target box loaded with packing material to test the penetrating ability. The PBA Raptor ammo is loud, even with the silencer, but at 1200 FPS, that should be expected. Still, "loud" is not too bad, as any nearby neighbors would still be miffed to know what that sound was they just heard. It's nothing that'll get them curious. The PBA Raptor ammo does the job, I had it sighted in to a 3" circle with the scope attached and calibrated in about 5 shots at about 50 feet away. As for penetrating power, it definitely cut through several inches of dense paper packing material. Get a clean lung or skull shot on a coyote, and this will put him down. Unfortunately, with the long reload time to cock the arm and load a pellet, one shot is all you'll get on an animal.

I later put up some more targets and used lead pellets which will travel slower, around 1000 fps. I put about 50 rounds through it at ranges from 50 to 80 ft or so, I didn't actually measure off the distance. The drop off isn't as much as I was expecting with lead pellets, only about 1" at around 80 ft.
Firing is quite consistent within a 5" spread at those ranges, and firing offhand, so the gun's pretty accurate for my novice shooting ability.
It's actually a good starter gun, I was able to teach my wife to use it, who's never handled a gun in her life. She was able to get comfortable with it and was within 4" circle at about 50 ft with it.
Notables:
-Good weight and balance, easy to shoot offhand
-Hard cocking arm (too much for my wife to pull)
-Scope included is good quality
-Trigger pull is a bit too long
-Good with PBA Raptor and lead flathead pellets
-Pretty silent with lead pellets, louder with PBA Raptor but still not bad noise level if you've got some trees around to absorb noise.
-no shoulder harness attachments is a drawback"

have you seen the GAMO commercials? Its like 2 min. of killing coyotes and rabbits. I think it will do the trick.

Well what I do is buy a few cans of sardines, make a pile of them on a full moon night in the yard. Then sit back on the deck with the supressor on the AR with subsonic .223 and a 12 pack of beer.

This also works with skunks, racoons, and fox.

Wait for new years, bait it and have the kids set off firecrackers out front when you see it, then shoot away!

Or, slather yourself in steak sauce and sit on the ground outside, when it attacks you, you can shoot it out of self defense.

But seriously, if it is becoming a real issue, ask the local game warden/animal control...that is their job

nice saturday afternoon my wife hollers come here quick, i look in the backyard and there's a turkey out there. this guy was huge stood about
5 ft. tall. i called animal control and they did nothing.

i had a skunk living under my shed, called animal control,

you can shoot it in the head and bury it. i live inside the city
limits, firing of firearms brings bad ju ju.

finally the skunk left took about 2 years.

my advice, dig a hole, shoot the sucker and don't tell anyone.

JimB

Dynamite. Anything more than 1 stick and someone may notice...

I would keep the Fish people out of it and don't talk to your neighbors. You never know.

coyote.jpg

coyote2.jpg

The Aguila super-colibri is a .22 LR with no gunpowder, just a sizable primer. They are quieter out of my 22 rifle than an airgun is. I don't know if they hit as hard as an air rifle, but they sure are whisper quiet.

Hey everyone

Thanks for the advice. I did call the Fish and Game office and they said it wouldn't be an issue with them if it was "self defense". They said the issue would be with the cops for discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dweling without permission. The F&G did not have any interest in where I lived in order to come and check it out. According to the New Bedford Standard Times article coyotes(the furry 4 legged kind) are becoming a major nusiance in the Freetown/Lakeville/Rochester area. It looks like I might go have a friendly chat with the neighbors and borrow a friends crossbow.

Thanks again

Hey everyone

Thanks for the advice. I did call the Fish and Game office and they said it wouldn't be an issue with them if it was "self defense". They said the issue would be with the cops for discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dweling without permission. The F&G did not have any interest in where I lived in order to come and check it out. According to the New Bedford Standard Times article coyotes(the furry 4 legged kind) are becoming a major nusiance in the Freetown/Lakeville/Rochester area. It looks like I might go have a friendly chat with the neighbors and borrow a friends crossbow.

Thanks again

I think you confused "coyote" and "cougar". :)

Someone suggested the Super Colibri. Don't. They are fine on point blank on something small.. but useless at over about 10' or anything with skin.

Back
Top Bottom