• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Discover credit cards, starts tracking purchase.

Dupe:

Lol Discover who?

"I gottit when we used to shop at seeahs and roebuck kehd. "

[rofl]
I got mine because they were the only one who would give an 18 yr old a $1500 limit back in the day. [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] I use mine for gas once a month and pay it off just to keep my credit score from sucking.

Since my 20s.... It was the first card my wife had the we cancelled when we got married
You should never cancel credit cards (even if they are shit cards) because it lowers your credit pool and average account age which both directly lower your credit score. I'm no fan of Discover but I'll never close mine for that reason.

I got mine because they were the only one who would give an 18 yr old a $1500 limit back in the day. [rofl] [rofl] [rofl] I use mine for gas once a month and pay it off just to keep my credit score from sucking.
Yup, my first card was Discover. I'm grateful to them for letting me get my foot in the door with credit but like all credit companies they are not our friend, they are a bankster operation.

334316525_1297818791136319_7261069561363107940_n.jpg

I thought it was already in place. I think the other Cc companies are already doing this or will be soon. I've never had discover myself.

Seen lots of chatter on this in some discussion groups. Not overly concerned yet. Just seems to be credit company doing what they do...categorizing purchases so they have more ways to target more advertising and/or selling that to others. Now if they're being asked to feed that info back to the government, that's more concerning. From what I understand through they can't tell whether someone bought an AR, lots of ammo, or some really expensive hunting apparel. Just a code all things related to shooting/hunting get lumped into.
God knows the government has enough way to track things based on the info they have now. Don't think this changes the game much.

Except then that info is there to be subpoenaed by anyone.

And we saw what banks did supposedly voluntarily like BOFA turning over transaction data for anyone in the vicinity of DC on January 6.

Except then that info is there to be subpoenaed by anyone.

And we saw what banks did supposedly voluntarily like BOFA turning over transaction data for anyone in the vicinity of DC on January 6.

Here's the thing. 90% of the crap I worried about in my life never happened. What's left over that does happen is never as bad as predicted. It's the crap no one sees coming that always tosses a monkey wrench into life. Can't plan for that. So If I know about it, I can make informed decisions. I just bought a case of ammo online. My Cc company knows that. The vendor knows that. UPS knows I bought "something" out of the ordinary cause it falls under hazmat.

All the credit cards companies (meaning debit cards too) will be doing it. It's inevitable and I saw it coming back in the 80's when there was talk of a cashless society and credit cards started to become more main stream (not everyone had them 40 years ago).

I said there will be a time when corporations know exactly what and when we buy, how big our families are, where we live, whether we had just had a baby, moved, bought a car, have someone ill at home, if we have hemorrhoids, and whether the wife colors her hair. The amount of info we voluntarily give away is staggering. I knew a guy who worked at a data aggregator that gathers info on the sales based on loyalty cards, credit cards and mail orders (before Amazon became God-like). That alone was enough to make me understand the battle for info privacy is an illusion. The war is over...we lost and unless you're will got go full on Kazinsky and live in a cabin in Montana there's no getting around it.

Last edited:
Here's the thing. 90% of the crap I worried about in my life never happened. What's left over that does happen is never as bad as predicted. It's the crap no one sees coming that always tosses a monkey wrench into life. Can't plan for that. So If I know about it, I can make informed decisions. I just bought a case of ammo online. My Cc company knows that. The vendor knows that. UPS knows I bought "something" out of the ordinary cause it falls under hazmat.

All the credit cards companies (meaning debit cards too) will be doing it. It's inevitable and I saw it coming back in the 80's when there was talk of a cashless society and credit cards started to become more main stream (not everyone had them 40 years ago).

I said there will be a time when corporations know exactly what and when we buy, how big our families are, where we live, whether we had just had a baby, moved, bought a car, have someone ill at home, if we have hemorrhoids, and whether the wife colors her hair. The amount of info we voluntarily give away is staggering. I knew a guy who worked at a data aggregator that gathers info on the sales based on loyalty cards, credit cards and mail orders (before Amazon became God-like). That alone was enough to make me understand the battle for info privacy is an illusion. The war is over...we lost and unless you're will got go full on Kazinsky and live in a cabin in Montana there's no getting around it.

You may think that is true but it is just like the Fudds here that say 'Mass is a lost cause so we'll not bother to call our legislators, join GOAL, or vote on issue'. Just rollover and take it in the ass.

Nothing says we have to make it easy for them. And there are some 2A-friendly businesses believe it or not but they don't all advertise. Just need to learn who they are and throw your support that way. Like humans, companies are lining up on either the right or the left. GiveSendGo or GoFundMe, Fox or CNN, soon if not already Twitter.

It is NOT over . . .

The war is over...we lost and unless you're will got go full on Kazinsky and live in a cabin in Montana
but they will still know where in montana you are.
well, it is all true and no big deal, i agree.

what will take place is the enforcement of an additional taxation - when they will do that proposed 36% tax or what not, or annual limits or whatever other crap is brewing.

credit cards by themselves have one only priority - they want you to have as high of the balance there as you can do. it is all they care about, so, they are not the #1 enemy there.

You may think that is true but it is just like the Fudds here that say 'Mass is a lost cause so we'll not bother to call our legislators, join GOAL, or vote on issue'. Just rollover and take it in the ass.

Nothing says we have to make it easy for them. And there are some 2A-friendly businesses believe it or not but they don't all advertise. Just need to learn who they are and throw your support that way. Like humans, companies are lining up on either the right or the left. GiveSendGo or GoFundMe, Fox or CNN, soon if not already Twitter.

It is NOT over . . .
So here is the thing.

People walk around with cell phones in their pockets pinging a tower every few seconds (your location and calling info recorded).
Google something? Guess what...
They climb into a car that has location tracking within a gnats ass if it was built in the last 10-15 years. Hell my car told me I needed an oil change and prompted me to ask if it should make an appointment at the dealer.
Drive through a toll with a transponder wired to a credit card and car's registration/
Walk into CVS/SS/Walgreens and flash their loyalty card so they get the weekly flyer pricing, then swipe their debit/credit card after every item is scanned and run through a detailed inventory of product/size/price for tracking (for them of course), same thing happens with groceries, movies, netflix/hulu (yes, they know what you watched), and amazon/ebay and every online purchase of any kind. They can monitor what is watched on TV (unless you have a totally dumb TV and do everything OAT)
Direct deposit you say? Bank knows where you work/shop, how much money you make and where you get your hair cut

......and I'm worried because they know I bought a few boxes on ammo? No not so much.

It was already easy for them

This morning if someone wanted to do the leg work they could tell easily find out when I left my house (figuring our where I live child's play)
I probably buzzed through any number of cameras on schools, PD's, ATM's
That I paid to park at the train station
That I rode a train to Boston
That I took a subway to Cambridge
That I bought coffee at D&D as I walked in
That I swiped my badge at the front desk and floor
Don't even get me going on the dozen of so emails I sent or live chats with coworkers that can easily be eavesdropped upon.
If my employer really wanted to be nosy/suspicious they could tell exactly what I'm doing right now. In fact most of what I just listed is recorded on video somewhere.

Tomorrow if I go to Bass Pro Shop or my local gun shop, my phone knows, my car knows, the store knows...everyone knows if they care to ask

The stuff that spies on us is already in place. Discover is late to the game

The only thing that gives me any solace is there is so much damn information it's hard to make sense of anything unless you're looking for a specific thing.

Last edited:
but they will still know where in montana you are.
well, it is all true and no big deal, i agree.

what will take place is the enforcement of an additional taxation - when they will do that proposed 36% tax or what not, or annual limits or whatever other crap is brewing.

credit cards by themselves have one only priority - they want you to have as high of the balance there as you can do. it is all they care about, so, they are not the #1 enemy there.
I’m not sure the tax will pass legal challenges. Might take a while but I think that one will fall if tried. Sales tax is one thing but this would be seen as punitive or discouraging in an overt way.

What an F’d up state. Cries foul for asking for voter ID but has no problem whacking a specific group who engage in using guns they think are icky

You should never cancel credit cards (even if they are shit cards) because it lowers your credit pool and average account age which both directly lower your credit score. I'm no fan of Discover but I'll never close mine for that reason.

Yup, my first card was Discover. I'm grateful to them for letting me get my foot in the door with credit but like all credit companies they are not our friend, they are a bankster operation.
Yeah, I didn't mind that 20 point hit when I was in my 20s. I'm fine with my credit, and understand how it works.....

So here is the thing.

People walk around with cell phones in their pockets pinging a tower every few seconds (your location and calling info recorded).
Google something? Guess what...
They climb into a car that has location tracking within a gnats ass if it was built in the last 10-15 years. Hell my car told me I needed an oil change and prompted me to ask if it should make an appointment at the dealer.
Drive through a toll with a transponder wired to a credit card and car's registration/
Walk into CVS/SS/Walgreens and flash their loyalty card so they get the weekly flyer pricing, then swipe their debit/credit card after every item is scanned and run through a detailed inventory of product/size/price for tracking (for them of course), same thing happens with groceries, movies, netflix/hulu (yes, they know what you watched), and amazon/ebay and every online purchase of any kind. They can monitor what is watched on TV (unless you have a totally dumb TV and do everything OAT)
Direct deposit you say? Bank knows where you work/shop, how much money you make and where you get your hair cut

......and I'm worried because they know I bought a few boxes on ammo? No not so much.

It was already easy for them

This morning if someone wanted to do the leg work they could tell easily find out when I left my house (figuring our where I live child's play)
I probably buzzed through any number of cameras on schools, PD's, ATM's
That I paid to park at the train station
That I rode a train to Boston
That I took a subway to Cambridge
That I bought coffee at D&D as I walked in
That I swiped my badge at the front desk and floor
Don't even get me going on the dozen of so emails I sent or live chats with coworkers that can easily be eavesdropped upon.
If my employer really wanted to be nosy/suspicious they could tell exactly what I'm doing right now. In fact most of what I just listed is recorded on video somewhere.

Tomorrow if I go to Bass Pro Shop or my local gun shop, my phone knows, my car knows, the store knows...everyone knows if they care to ask

The stuff that spies on us is already in place. Discover is late to the game

The only thing that gives me any solace is there is so much damn information it's hard to make sense of anything unless you're looking for a specific thing.
You are too sensible. It looks like you don’t have easy pass, at least the GOV can’t track your driving.

Is there anything NES doesn’t hate?? 😂

A card is a card is a card. The only 2 places I’ve not be able to use my Discover card that I’ve had since 2012 (my credit rating is far from damaged) was a friend’s restaurant in Greenville and McMaster-Carr.
The restaurant is NBD and I have the wife’s Visa on file with M-C so I don’t even see the bill.

Discover is the only company I’ve dealt with with a no accent person answering the call in the United States.

As of April, Discover credit cards will reportedly be joining a larger initiative to track when cardholders make purchases at gun stores. It also noted that even if a customer used the card to purchase non gun or ammunition items, it would still be logged as a 'gun shop' purchase.
SO, if you carrythe Discover card, from now on, USE CASH!!!

LOL ... OK. So I can buy ammo using cash at the local gun store.

You got me there.

99% of all the other stuff can't be found at most local gun stores.
This....cash at the gun store is great...if you have a gun store with everything you want.....PFFFTTT....never! Not in my area.

Check or Money Order at online vendors and build a bunch of AR's......think you'll be safe???

No......the good old Post Office will rat you out worse than any credit card will.....that's been shown several times already with several stings.

Besides....Check or Money Order is a record.

GMAFB........

Back
Top Bottom