• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Discover credit cards, starts tracking purchase.

So it begins, Discover card financial, a provider of credit cards, told news source it will allow its network to track purchases at gun retailers come April, making it the first among its peers to publicly give a date for moving ahead with the initiative, which is aimed at helping authorities probe gun-related crimes.

Discover's announcement came after the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), which decides on the classification of merchant categories used by payment cards, approved in September the launch of a dedicated code for gun retailers.

they will all do it, heck even all these cash apps will probably start having codes on why you sent or received $$$

Pay cash!!
Oh look, the two word guys are showing up ...

Yeah bro, let me call TSUSA and tell them I am mailing a check ...

Oh wait, they could track those as well.

Let me call them and tell them I will pick it up ... wait, do they allow that?

I will call Midway, maybe Larry will be cool and let me mail him cash.

The stock, barrel, trigger, lower, parts kit, handguard, muzzle device, sling, scope, scope ring, rail, spotting scope, bipod, shooting bag, range bag, mag, mag parts ... manufacturers, I am sure they are all cool with me mailing cash or I am sure they all have a store front, right? ... maybe I need to quit my job and drive around this massive country full time to pay cash everywhere, because even if I mail cash I am now in their system and it is a matter of time until they get audited.

And places like Bass Pro / Cabelas check LTC even if you are buying an empty plastic box. They will soon start recording that number so your cash won't be any good there.

Last edited:
Discover is the absolute WORST credit card to have, the way they calculate interest payments makes organized crime look good.

Always pay good old fashioned CASH for firearm or firearm related purchases if possible
I agree, cash is king.

I do. Never carry a balance so I don’t know about that, but the cash back and the fraud prevention have been great.
Same here, had a Discover card since 1987. Never carried a balance. I've received thousands in cash back over the years and they are very aware of any fraud issues and notify me immediately. Added plus is they're easy to understand on the phone...
However, this news does suck, but I'm sure they're all going there sooner rather than later.

I know it wasn't intended to be answered, but yes, they do, and in-person pickup is a great feature that they offer.

Aside from that, yeah, the people who say 'pay cash' are the ones who are willing to have another one of their choices and freedoms infringed upon.

I know it wasn't intended to be answered, but yes, they do, and in-person pickup is a great feature that they offer.

Aside from that, yeah, the people who say 'pay cash' are the ones who are willing to have another one of their choices and freedoms infringed upon.

The people that always throw the "pay cash" tells me they are the ones that own maybe 3 guns purchased locally, they are completely stock (most likely Ruger or Smith and Wesson) and most likely buy 2 boxes of ammo every 3 months for their one range visit.

Those people never tried to buy quality scope rings, or an after market trigger or a quality bipod besides maybe the POS Harrys they sell at Walmart.

That is what I get from the "USE CASH" answers.

Edit to add: As far as TSUSA, it is great they offer pickup, I didn't know this. That could work for people in NE to drive over. But, outside NE or maybe certain parts of NY/NJ, it blows for everyone else, cash is not really an option.

The people that always throw the "pay cash" tells me they are the ones thst own maybe 3 guns purchased locally, they are completely stock and most likely buy 2 boxes of ammo every 3 months for their one range visit.

Those people never Even tried to buy quality scope rings, or an after market trigger or a quality bipod beside maybe the POS Harrys they sell at Walmart.
Three long guns, bird shot, Fudds with internet access.

Oh wait, they could track those as well.

I will call Midway, maybe Larry will be cool and let me mail him cash.

The stock, barrel, trigger, lower, parts kit, handguard, muzzle device, sling, scope, scope ring, rail, spotting scope, bipod, shooting bag, range bag, mag, mag parts ... manufacturers, I am sure they are all cool with me mailing cash or I am sure they all have a store front, right? ... maybe I need to quit my job and drive around this massive country full time to pay cash everywhere, because even if I mail cash I am now in their system and it is a matter of time until they get audited.

And places like Bass Pro / Cabelas check LTC even if you are buying an empty plastic box. They will soon start recording that number so your cash won't be any good there.

You can go cash, at the local LGS. It will cost you more though, unfortunately. In fairness, none of our LGS' around here move ammo in the volume TSA does, so they really can't compete pricewise.

All of this is a moot point here in Assachusetts. Our non-registry of firearms is a much more direct route to identifying white separatists and malcontents than any credit card database.

You can go cash, at the local LGS. It will cost you more though, unfortunately. In fairness, none of our LGS' around here move ammo in the volume TSA does, so they really can't compete pricewise.

All of this is a moot point here in Assachusetts. Our non-registry of firearms is a much more direct route to identifying white separatists and malcontents than any credit card database.
LOL ... OK. So I can buy ammo using cash at the local gun store.

You got me there.

99% of all the other stuff can't be found at most local gun stores.

LOL ... OK. So I can buy ammo using cash at the local gun store.

You got me there.

99% of all the other stuff can't be found at most local gun stores.

I don't need the high-end stuff, because I'll probably be dead before I am a proficient enough shooter to utilize high end stuff to its potential. I can see your problem though.

Maybe if vendors are really pro 2A they will undertake different payment plans. If a vendor agreed to take a personal check, with the caveat that they would not ship you the product until the check cleared, would you be ok with that? Big picture though, if the vendor keeps records, and they all do, then it's only a couple of extra steps for the .suck to pork your expectation of privacy.

So it begins, Discover card financial, a provider of credit cards, told news source it will allow its network to track purchases at gun retailers come April, making it the first among its peers to publicly give a date for moving ahead with the initiative, which is aimed at helping authorities probe gun-related crimes.
Most gun related crimes have zero connection to a credit card, unless it's a stolen credit card. The last time I checked, a criminal will use cash, weed, coke, meth, heroin, Xanax, Ativan, Oxy's, stolen goods, and their women (prostitutes) to pay for a stolen gun and ammo. Or, they will just steal it themselves! This is just another poor example of "common sense" crime fighting and gun control.

Last edited:
Hmm, i pay cash or USPS MO for pretty much anything i buy,, its not limited to guns. As to the comment about buying locally and only having 3 guns my 2 gunsafes plus would beg to differ,, oh, and my last gun came from Fl.

Bank of America
Discover
Citibank
Capital One

They all suck. Can't quit them all. Same with everything else. Boycott everything, and you've just boycotted yourself!

Back
Top Bottom