Discontinued for 2022 - CZ-97B and BD Series

Meh.
They'll probably make another similar frame size for 10mm. A one size fits all instead of sending your 97 in for a 10mm retrofit.
They'll call it the CZ99 or somethin like that.
Glad I got my 97 when I did. Way better machine than any of those 1911 turds I own.

ive kept my 97BD but I never shoot it. It’s an ancient firing mechanism (ie pre-omega) with an ancient chambering. the cost of production has to be way higher than most of CZ’s other products. I honestly expected them to dc it a few years ago.

No surprise. The Glossy Blue version has been discontinued for quite some time now. I have both a 97B and a FNX-45 Tactical and the 97’s grip is as fat as the FNX, but only holds 10 rounds vs 15. Compared to my HK 45 and Sig P227, which are also hammer fired 10 round 45s, the 97 is kind of an overweight beast. Though I do like to shoot it, even though the grip is too big for my hand size.

I'm not shocked at all, its a nice gun but its an ergonomic nightmare for people who don't have large hands. The mag release is such that some people basically have to
flip the gun to get it to drop.

I'm not shocked at all, its a nice gun but its an ergonomic nightmare for people who don't have large hands. The mag release is such that some people basically have to
flip the gun to get it to drop.
The ergonomics are no worse than a Beretta or 1911, for example. I have small hands but don't have a problem manipulating controls. Yes, I have to pivot the gun to do mag drops. Big woop. Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch has small hands and has NO problem manipulating guns.

The ergonomics are no worse than a Beretta or 1911, for example. I have small hands but don't have a problem manipulating controls. Yes, I have to pivot the gun to do mag drops. Big woop.

Not sure if serious, the ergos are NOTHING like either one of those .... [rofl]

Flipping guns sucks, the less you have to do it, the better.

The CZ97 would suck less if the release was a little bit longer.

The capacity density thing sort of sucks too but its not really what kills the gun.

The CZ97 would suck less if the release was a little bit longer.
It's a metal gun! you can buy an extended-release button for a few dollars if you like. Still, you're avoiding the simple fact that it is NO WORSE than a 1911 or a Beretta or an H&K. FNX, on the other hand, is a lot more difficult to reach the release button.
The capacity density thing sort of sucks too but its not really what kills the gun.
How many rounds is in 1911? How many rounds are allowed in H&K45 or FNX here in MA?

I guess it’s not selling well, it was a good concept back in 97 during the federal magazine ban, if you can only have ten rounds, you might as well have 10 rounds of 45acp. Great gun for large hands.

It's a metal gun! you can buy an extended-release button for a few dollars if you like.

Who makes an actual extended release for a CZ97? Inquiring minds want to know

The only thing I've ever seen is apparently CGW can take a shadow release and modify it to fit the 97.

It's definitely not an "off the shelf" part.

Still, you're avoiding the simple fact that it is NO WORSE than a 1911 or a Beretta or an H&K. FNX, on the other hand, is a lot more difficult to reach the release button.

Nope, not avoiding anything other than that your comparison was pure shit. [rofl]

The CZ97 mag release purchase "arrangement" is total dog shit compared to a lot of guns. This is, in part, because the grip circumference is horrendously
bad.

Also you mentioned HK. Even the MK23 has a better arrangement for a release. (and that thing is a school bus with a blimp mounted to the top)

How many rounds is in 1911?

1911s don't count, different ballgame, nobody cross shops a 1911 against this
gun. The 1911 and 2011 for that matter live on their own special island of immunity, lol.

For the others.... a gun with a grip frame as big as a CZ97 is the capacity is meh, there's no getting around that, but that per se,
wouldn't stop me from buying one, but I can see why this is a sales/marketing problem for guns in this class.

How many rounds are allowed in H&K45 or FNX here in MA?

Don't care, I don't really think about MA bullshit when evaluating a gun.

Like I said, the capacity isn't even the biggest problem, but its in the mix for guns in this class.

The CZ97's problem is its "a gun without a home." If they improved the ergos, added a light rail and maybe an optic plate, it'd still be relevant, even as a 10 round
gun.

Sadly I don't think they will reincarnate it, although I hope I am wrong. .45 sales are not what they used to be, and as time goes on 1911 island is becoming a larger part of that sales
number.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my CZ 97B and it is a great shooter in SA. But the ergos just aren't there for me in DA. With my small hands, I can barely properly place my finger on the trigger so it is hard for me to shoot it DA with any accuracy at all. I pretty much treat it like a 1911, keep it cocked and locked and shoot SA only. I don’t have the same problem with any other of my DA/SA 45s. Using it as a big 1911 works for me, but I would never carry it since my P227 is much more amenable to that task.

Funny thing is that the 97 was next on my sell list. I wonder if this will make it easier or harder to sell???

If I wasn't sitting on a $300 Cajun Pro Package that's not installed yet I would have sold it by now.

Well boys and girls, the range trip was brief because I hate shooting with gloves on. The 97 shot about as well as the Sig but couldn't equal the 1911. I can't expect an out of the box gun to shoot as well as one worked on by Greg Derr. I'll try again when I don't have to wear gloves but the trigger on the 1911 is far better than the other 2.

Well boys and girls, the range trip was brief because I hate shooting with gloves on. The 97 shot about as well as the Sig but couldn't equal the 1911. I can't expect an out of the box gun to shoot as well as one worked on by Greg Derr. I'll try again when I don't have to wear gloves but the trigger on the 1911 is far better than the other 2.
Somewhat unfair comparison with a Greg Derr 1911. Send your 97 to Cajun Gun Works for proper rework. you'll have a gun that's on a whole new level!

Lol, well, pretty much nothing is better than a decent 1911 trigger. That’s not going to change. The win is that CZ will run even if its filthy…..

Lol, well, pretty much nothing is better than a decent 1911 trigger. That’s not going to change. The win is that CZ will run even if its filthy…..
Have you tried triggers on a $500 1911? We're talking Glock trigger territory here!

If one were to do a proper comparison, one should consider the cost. How about $700 CZ 97 vs $700 Rock Armory 1911?

I do agree, stock 97 trigger is not as good as my $1300 S&W 1911...

Have you tried triggers on a $500 1911? We're talking Glock trigger territory here!

If one were to do a proper comparison, one should consider the cost. How about $700 CZ 97 vs $700 Rock Armory 1911?

I do agree, stock 97 trigger is not as good as my $1300 S&W 1911...

Yes I have, actually, and some of them do surprisingly well if we're not talking shitty repro guns or whatever. Even a base level smith you will get lucky often and its great.

But if you want to have a standard, pick up a Magnum Research 1911. They make a midline gun that is pretty close in cost to a CZ97.

It will take a CZ97 to the cleaners out of the box at least in that one way.

Again though these guns are really two different ballgames. a CZ97 should be compared to its peers like a P220 or P227, etc, or a Ruger P series 45, and so
on.

I also strongly suspect that a CZ97 is going to run longer without a stoppage, vs a 1911 where if you look at the f***ing thing the wrong way it will probably
jam. I mean my 1911s are pretty reliable, but they all eventually will PUNISH you if you let them get dirty enough. On the other hand things like my G21, or G30, or
back when I had one.... a Sig P220, those were all guns that you had to try very hard to get to f*** up. Contrasted with the 1911 archaic swinging link controlled feed f***ing
nonsense garbage retard stuff going on inside those things. (I love 1911s but I also simultaneously think its a shitty f***ing design in that regard, but that shitty design partly contributes to the ergonomic wins you get on a 1911.... thats why "its complicated" ). I always tell people if you love 1911s but you also dont simultaneously hate them you haven't fired them
enough.

I also strongly suspect that a CZ97 is going to run longer without a stoppage, vs a 1911 where if you look at the f***ing thing the wrong way it will probably
jam. I mean my 1911s are pretty reliable, but they all eventually will PUNISH you if you let them get dirty enough.
enough.

It will.
Mine will at least. I'm pretty sure I can cram a crystalized dog turd in the chamber and it'll still fire.
The only other .45 bottom feed I could run until it was too hot to hold was my 21.

For everyone out there with small, feminine hands- Fear not. That new S&W CSX in .30 super carry might be your winning ticket!

I kid.
No I don't.
Do your "life partners" have to open jars for you as well?
Sorry, low hanging fruit. I have palm-swells on everything, and X frame grips on all my N frames.

Someone mentioned Cajun G.W.-

I dropped one of these in mine. That goddam sear cage was the bane of my existence.

Someone mentioned Cajun G.W.-

I dropped one of these in mine. That goddam sear cage was the bane of my existence.
I'm planning to pick up my own 97 this weekend. Got tired of "borrowing". question for ya: you went with Pro package instead of STandard and SA. Why? I figured SA would give you a better trigger, no?

The 97B and 97BD are gone from all my distributors so whatever new old stock is out there is it for the gun. I found one more today and grabbed it which completed the zero inventory position for all my distributors. Maybe I hold on for a while and post them as "rare" and "with extras" in a few months. Isn't that the way to maximize price on NES classifieds? [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom