• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Disarming Police in Vermont

Vermont city councilmember pushes to disarm local police - The Boston Globe

BURLINGTON, Vt. (AP) — A city councilor in Burlington, Vermont, says the city should consider disarming its police force.

WCAX-TV reports that Perri Freeman says she’s researching law enforcement expectations and training. She says smaller countries similar in size to Vermont, like the U.K., Ireland and Iceland, function with unarmed police forces.

Burlington Police Officers Association President, Daniel Gilligan, says disarming officers is unrealistic. He says those countries have more restrictive gun laws, while the U.S. is ‘‘an armed nation.’’

Burlington Deputy Police Chief Jon Murad says the U.S. has a high rate of violent crime and that disarming law enforcement would put officers and civilians at risk.

Freeman says preventing violence and finding its root causes should be the focus.[rolleyes]

freeman.jpg

Last edited:
Lol. So they don't want me to have guns. Then why would I call a cop if a bad guy is doing something bad to me, if he also doesn't have a gun? Is he going to blow his whistle (police don't do that anymore right)? File a report?

Vermont city councilmember pushes to disarm local police - The Boston Globe BURLINGTON, Vt. (AP) — A city councilor in Burlington, Vermont, says the city should consider disarming its police force. WCAX-TV reports that Perri Freeman says she’s researching law enforcement expectations and training. She says smaller countries similar in size to Vermont, like the U.K., Ireland and Iceland, function with unarmed police forces. Burlington Police Officers Association President, Daniel Gilligan, says disarming officers is unrealistic. He says those countries have more restrictive gun laws, while the U.S. is ‘‘an armed nation.’’ Burlington Deputy Police Chief Jon Murad says the U.S. has a high rate of violent crime and that disarming law enforcement would put officers and civilians at risk. Freeman says preventing violence and finding its root causes should be the focus.[rolleyes] View attachment 299974
Vermont city councilmember pushes to disarm local police - The Boston Globe BURLINGTON, Vt. (AP) — A city councilor in Burlington, Vermont, says the city should consider disarming its police force. WCAX-TV reports that Perri Freeman says she’s researching law enforcement expectations and training. She says smaller countries similar in size to Vermont, like the U.K., Ireland and Iceland, function with unarmed police forces. Burlington Police Officers Association President, Daniel Gilligan, says disarming officers is unrealistic. He says those countries have more restrictive gun laws, while the U.S. is ‘‘an armed nation.’’ Burlington Deputy Police Chief Jon Murad says the U.S. has a high rate of violent crime and that disarming law enforcement would put officers and civilians at risk. Freeman says preventing violence and finding its root causes should be the focus.[rolleyes] View attachment 299974
The UK police that I saw were armed with Glock 17 pistols and HK MP5 SMGs.

Burlington needs to move to relocate to the left coast. This is what happens when you have clueless leftists running the show. I guess she's never traveled much because ALL the cops in Europe are armed. Only the street Bobbies in England are unarmed, back at the Police Station there is an arms room.

Disarm police? Ok but let's have no police service provided to any politicians. This is what happens when you let out of state carpet baggers in and tell you how to live

How about a 10 or 20 year residency requirement before you are eligible for any public office?

Last edited:
this should be brought up today in Boston as a logical next step to all this gun grabbing BS. maybe it would wake someone up

It would be an improvement if the left were at least consistent. If someone truly is anti gun, then it is logical to want to remove guns from everyone. If they leave police with guns, that proves they really are not anti gun. They are just anti us having guns. They still want police with guns so they have a way to use force on us who don't want to go along with their tyrannical ideas.

Councilor Perri Freeman
August 16 at 7:12 PM ·

Thankful to be able to take a few minutes this week to talk with My NBC5 about policing practices. In Burlington, we have had numerous incidences over the last years that have called into question our police department's use of force and firearm use.

It wasn't until a few years ago that I learned that some countries do not require their police on regular duty to carry firearms: including the UK, New Zealand, and Iceland.

Of these countries, Iceland stood out. Unlike the UK and New Zealand, Iceland has a high rate of gun ownership-- on par with Vermont. Yet their law enforcement officers do not carry firearms and have shot and killed one person in 72 years. In Burlington, two people were shot and killed by police in the last six years.

Iceland utilizes a policing philosophy based on a culture of consent, respect and trust. In the US, firearms as a regular policing tool can enable a policing philosophy built on violence and forced compliance.

These kind of cultural shifts often don't happen overnight-- I am thankful for the opportunity to be part of these conversations and work toward solutions.
--------------
This is what happens when you vote for a history major!:D
History major Perri Freeman ’15 was elected to the Burlington (vt.) City Council, unseating a 19-year incumbent. Freeman, who ran as a Progressive, took the Central District seat from long-time councilor Jane Knodell, who ran as independent after losing the Progressive endorsement.

Last edited:
f***ing awesome.

Hey Cali, want me to hold your beer while you outdo Burlington?

Let’s get this party started.

Perhaps now the police unions will understand what they have need unilaterally supporting.

This got me soooo steamed I had to send her a response:

So you are ok with telling the officers kids and spouse "I'm sorry you lost your spouse/father. I take full responsibility.

He/she did their best to find the root cause of the violent situation but unfortunately it only took the murderer 2 seconds to pull the trigger".

It's thinking like that that spreads this liberal cancer and puts the lives of murderers ahead of dedicated Patriots the police force is.

I am appalled and at the same time not surprised by your words.. you have no clue what you are doing and should step down.

Disarm the police.... Wow just wow

Here are the new handcuffs suggested by the city council member...

:)

il_794xN.1366520084_r5mr.jpg

Everyone here seems to forget here in MA the police decide if you're suitable to carry guns. Whats the harm with a citizen doing the same to the police who feel superior? I say take all their guns give them billy clubs and tell them the taxpayers in town will determine if they themselves meet the criteria to carry a gun.

Vermont city councilmember pushes to disarm local police - The Boston Globe

BURLINGTON, Vt. (AP) — A city councilor in Burlington, Vermont, says the city should consider disarming its police force.

WCAX-TV reports that Perri Freeman says she’s researching law enforcement expectations and training. She says smaller countries similar in size to Vermont, like the U.K., Ireland and Iceland, function with unarmed police forces.

Burlington Police Officers Association President, Daniel Gilligan, says disarming officers is unrealistic. He says those countries have more restrictive gun laws, while the U.S. is ‘‘an armed nation.’’

Burlington Deputy Police Chief Jon Murad says the U.S. has a high rate of violent crime and that disarming law enforcement would put officers and civilians at risk.

Freeman says preventing violence and finding its root causes should be the focus.[rolleyes]

View attachment 299974
Is she trying to NY VT gun rights?

Back
Top Bottom