Disappointed in first time trying to Conceal Carry

^ That VP9 is a monster....and I'd *still* carry it IWB and not GAF
Well, that's is the overall moral of the story, but it's only .14" wider and it's 0.02" shorter than a G19 ha. I think the monster bit for width is exaggerated. We're talking about carrying full size firearms. Not like a 229 that's 1.5" wide. Now the height can't be argued, we're talking about 2/5 of an inch, that's not insignificant.

Just a thought but have you considered whats going to happen if you get into an accident while carrying an IWB at 12-1 oclock?

You're going to have massive internal injuries.........

you put that at 3p (or 9p if you're a lefty) and you're not going to get hurt by your seatbelt

Really? You don't say? Guns are dangerous, really?
If I print, can't carry. End of story. AIWB is the best option for me and it works pretty darn well. This isn't a new concept and it is widely accepted as safe with the right equipment and training. Every form of carry has it's associated risks/benefits if you haven't thought about them you shouldn't carry. The OP was asking about experience with AIWB not the merits of the method. This is my experience, mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Kydex

I know it's not the trendy thing but I don't like kydex holsters. A good leather is far more comfortable and holds the gun well.

To each their own... but.... IMHO most leather sucks. I am never going back. Too slow. You know what my first words were
after I got my first Kydex holster?

"Jesus H this is so much faster."

Not to mention you can get into a high echelon of Kydex for short money, whereas nice leather is always over $100, although the DeSantis speed scabbard is
the only cheap leather holster I can really tolerate at this point.

You can split the difference by getting a leather backed kydex holster, too. So the thing touching your body isn't just plastic.

-Mike

^ That VP9 is a monster....and I'd *still* carry it IWB and not GAF

I would too but every time I put that thing on my belt this song would automatically start playing in my head..... [rofl]

(possibly nsfw if your w sucks, lmao)

That title originally belongs to the Sig P229 though... [rofl]

As it’s been said before most people are completely oblivious to their surroundings, let alone whether you are carrying or not. When I first started carrying and was trying out many different holsters and carry options I would ask close friends if they could tell where I was carrying. It kinda became a bit of a game where as soon as I would meet up with them each person would take a guess. The large majority of the time the answers were wrong and that’s when they knew I was carrying and looking for it. Usually only the friends that also carry picked up on it. I have even had family members not know I was carrying after giving me a hug and putting their hands right on the firearm or holster. Most just assumed it was a phone, wallet, or something else on my belt.

Point is that most people are clueless as to whether you are carrying and those that aren’t probably picked up in it because they do too. So just find something comfortable that you think conceals well enough and be happy with it.

For me most of the time it’s a Glock or shield carried at 4 O’clock angled at around 20 degrees. This works well for my body style and is super comfortable while sitting. It pushes the grip towards my side which if printing due to the angle just looks like a crease in the shirt. While the holster and barrel are angled more towards the back just beneath the belt line. Which even when bending over is covered by my shirt since it tends to be a little looser and longer in the back.

Edit: I should also mention I use CYA IWB holsters. The are slim, comfortable, can be angled or vertical, have great retention, are reasonably priced, and are made by a veteran.

Last edited:
I think he was referring to the vehicle pic.
Specifically how the gun's going to be jammed into your abdomen by the seatbelt in an accident.

That said, what're your impressions of the blackpoint aiwb holster?
Lol, sorry I totally misread that (got home from work at 3am[slap]).
That picture was taken right as I sat down. I generally drive with the belt strap behind the firearm on the highway so it's a non issue.
Also AIWB is probably the most accessible position in the car (or most any situation)
anyway..
The holster is fine. It's really compact and goes in and out of the pants really easily. The claw is pretty effective. When I got it I did have to do a bunch of filling and sanding to melt all of the contact surfaces (the sweat guard and bottom where the claw bolts are) . For the most part, it is so short that it sits entirely in pelvic region making siting down all day or in the car really pretty comfortable. it've thought about sticking on a little foam wedge to the bottom but have been too lazy. I have heard of one or two people having kydex snap around the clip which doesn't entirely surprise me given the thin gauge. The Phlster holster is more substantial, longer, and has a built in wedge. I've only carried it 2 or 3 times and taken to the range only once so I don't have a strong opinion about it.

IMG_9573.JPG IMG_9574.JPG IMG_9575.JPG

Last edited:
So put a locked breech 380 in a Kydex front or rear pants pocket holster. It will look just like a wallet. If you handload for a locked breech 380, you can get the power level up over 300 ft lbs, with real expansion in flesh, which will make it as least as effective as .45 ball ammo, and probably more effective than 230 gr jhp's in the shorter .45 barrels, since such bullets dont expand in flesh. What I do is pull the 85 gr jhp from the Winchester Silvertip ammo and reload it up around 1300 fps, using Alliant Bullseye powder. Many 380's are simple blowback actions, so the ammo makers have to wussy-load 380 ammo. The better 380's, however, have a locked breech, letting them safely use ammo that's loaded to at least 50% more pressure than standard 380 ammo.

for the driving thing, I just move the gun to inside the console, or under the seat if you have no console. it's not a big deal. I've sometimes worn it IWB, no rig, when driving in certain areas/conditions, covered with the shirt tail.

if you're not a cop or a merc, you dont need a full sized pistol. I can react to the timer's beep, draw from under a shirt tail and put 2000 ft lbs onto the chest at 10 ft in 1.5 seconds, with a Sig P938, creating 8 wound tracks. The gun is 6"x 4.5", weighs 16 ozs. The major part of this is the choice of load. If you try to achieve this with a 230 gr .45, you can't get more than 5 wound tracks and 1800 ft lbs. and probably a lot less. My reloads offer 2 wound tracks per hit, 500 ft lbs per hit. The reaction, draw and hit being .95 second, or a hair less and the repeat hits averaging .18 second each. So a lot depends upon your skill level and the ammo chosen, not just size, weight, caliber of the gun.

So put a locked breech 380 in a Kydex front or rear pants pocket holster. It will look just like a wallet. If you handload for a locked breech 380, you can get the power level up over 300 ft lbs, with real expansion in flesh, which will make it as least as effective as .45 ball ammo, and probably more effective than 230 gr jhp's in the shorter .45 barrels, since such bullets dont expand in flesh. What I do is pull the 85 gr jhp from the Winchester Silvertip ammo and reload it up around 1300 fps, using Alliant Bullseye powder. Many 380's are simple blowback actions, so the ammo makers have to wussy-load 380 ammo. The better 380's, however, have a locked breech, letting them safely use ammo that's loaded to at least 50% more pressure than standard 380 ammo.

Clark Magnuson is that you? [rofl]

-Mike

if you're not a cop or a merc, you dont need a full sized pistol. I can react to the timer's beep, draw from under a shirt tail and put 2000 ft lbs onto the chest at 10 ft in 1.5 seconds, with a Sig P938, creating 8 wound tracks. The gun is 6"x 4.5", weighs 16 ozs. The major part of this is the choice of load. If you try to achieve this with a 230 gr .45, you can't get more than 5 wound tracks and 1800 ft lbs. and probably a lot less. My reloads offer 2 wound tracks per hit, 500 ft lbs per hit. The reaction, draw and hit being .95 second, or a hair less and the repeat hits averaging .18 second each. So a lot depends upon your skill level and the ammo chosen, not just size, weight, caliber of the gun.

From a full size .45 5 wounds at 10 feet would be fatal, love my Gold Cup.

That's awesome. But at 10' in less than a second, I can break most people's nose and help myself to their pistol. If you can draw a 938 in 1.5 seconds you can draw a 320c, Shield or any other 45 just as fast, and with practice, any pistol.

There are no timers in real life. Big guns are easier to shoot, harder to carry and 45 hits much harder than 9mm. I don't care about ballistic gel test, shot timers, and wound tracks. I know what I have seen with my own eyes.
Sure, I carry a 9mm when I have to. But I carry a 45 when I can.

9mm kills the body......45 ACP kills the soul.

You know... for a thread that contains 17x the word "bulge", I'm disappointed that there are only 4x pictures of bulges. Please post more. I can post my 4 o'clock bulge tomorrow if anyone is interested in it.

...As others have suggested, the bulge probably isn't as noticeable as you think. People are oblivious. Just make sure when you're bending over or sitting down or even reaching up that your gun is not being exposed because your shirt is too short. After you stand up or whatever, fix your shirt real quick and you're prob good to go.

Let's not hijack this thread and make it a 9 v 45 thread :p

Last edited:
Just make sure when you're bending over or sitting down or even reaching up that your gun is not being exposed because your shirt is too short.

This is good advice.

Or Op could just get a minininjer holster and not have to deal with the shirt riding up. I know I am considering one for certain applications. Think it would work well for light, fast, long distance hikes with a loose hiking button down.

Across the Chest Holster-Mini-Ninjer- Starting at $90.00

Unless you're a spy, why give a shit if your gun is perfectly concealed? Just carry the gun you like in a comfortable holster and wear an untucked shirt or jacket.
Some people will notice, some won't, and none will give a shit.

DA2D434F-40CD-40C8-A770-1C3B7552D9E9.jpeg

I was on a road trip with Mrs Pipes a few years back and she noticed a holster in my suitcase.

She asked what the "hell" I had a holster for. I answered "the obvious".

She had literally never noticed over a period of several years that I carried a firearm.

But I get s**t if I come home from work and don't notice she dyed her hair a new color or painted the living room.

I would too but every time I put that thing on my belt this song would automatically start playing in my head..... [rofl]

(possibly nsfw if your w sucks, lmao)

That title originally belongs to the Sig P229 though... [rofl]

Hey hey hey, how does that previously belong to the P229 when it's still a quarter inch wider?! Though yes, it is still a schoolbus haha.

Lol, sorry I totally misread that (got home from work at 3am[slap]).

it've thought about sticking on a little foam wedge to the bottom but have been too lazy. I have heard of one or two people having kydex snap around the clip which doesn't entirely surprise me given the thin gauge. The Phlster holster is more substantial, longer, and has a built in wedge. I've only carried it 2 or 3 times and taken to the range only once so I don't have a strong opinion about it.

View attachment 277781 View attachment 277782 View attachment 277783

I put this foam, on mine, may put another layer on it. I do like it w/ the foam, the only thing is that between the foam and the claw it gets hung up on your pants a little more when holstering (I holster the gun w/ it in the holster). Not a big deal and worth it.

IMG_1502.jpg

got my Alabama Holster pocket holster in today. Love the holster, not the five week wait though. You can't really see it in the second pic but there is a thumb break lip at the top of the holster.

IMG_1503.jpg IMG_1504.jpg

I don't intend to shoot anyone in the near future (unless I have to), so I just carry my little NAA .32 with the laser slipper. It prints "wallet", in either my jacket pocket or pants back pocket. DAO so I don't worry about shooting any of my body parts off (as in Glock). I need to look at the .380 one. You may now flame me for the Glock.

I put this foam, on mine, may put another layer on it. I do like it w/ the foam, the only thing is that between the foam and the claw it gets hung up on your pants a little more when holstering (I holster the gun w/ it in the holster). Not a big deal and worth it.

View attachment 277881
That's exactly what I was thinking!

Back
Top Bottom