Disappointed in first time trying to Conceal Carry

A couple of things:
1: No matter what the companies/internet says carrying appendix is never going to be very comfortable.
It requires an ideal combination of gun, belt, holster, and clothing to be effective. It's taken me about a year to figure out what works for me and I have no problem carrying a full size gun with flashlight with the right pants and the right cover garment. ps dark colors and patterns (plaid) are your friend when if comes to breaking up the outline of some printing
make sure your holster has a good claw to pull it in close to your body, if you carry near midline printing is pretty minimal. Also some modification with some foam or a yoga block helps if you have hotspots and also serves to push the gun into your body (again reducing printing).

2: Sometimes you dress around the gun, sometime you carry based on how you have to dress or where you have to go. If you want to carry all the time, your probably need two or three different types of guns.
These are the guns I carry and the holster combo:
Full size: Glock 19 with an RMR and x300 in Phlster spotlight or Darkstar Gear Rigel (both excellent and can fit a g34 if you are feeling John Wick) This requires an untucked button down shirt or light jacket/fleece. This is what I was carrying on friday (see below)
Subcompact: Glock 43 in a Phlster Skeleton, Sig P365 in Blackpoint Tactical AIWB (i am also trying out a phlster city) This dissapears under a flannel/buttondown shirt , but also is fine with under a looser t-shirt or polo (which is what i wear to work and what I am carrying today)
Deep conceal: S&W 360 or 60 in a Phlster city or pocket holster. I also have a kydex trigger guard for the G43 that makes it pocketable.

3: Practice (unloaded) getting your gun out and putting it back. You'll find some clothing better at clearing than others. In the real world there is no reason that you would have to put your gun back in your holster while it is still in your pants nor is there a reason to be taking your gun in and out of a holster all the time. but get used to the process without risk of blowing off your garbage or putting a hole in your femoral

4: It take a little while to get used to carrying. It gave me the heebie jeebies for the first 2-3 months thinking that everyone could tell but no one has every and that's mostly because i've done my job with the holster and the clothes. Everything prints a little bit, but really it's impossible to tell if it's just a crease in the shirt or my belt. No one notices.

5: Fitness. I've lost about 10-15 pounds over the winter and carrying has gotten exponentially easier and more comfortable. I've never been a total fat-body but also never skinny. I'll always have a little ponch, but if you have a gut AIWB is not going to be the most effective. Also there is nothing like a piece of plastic jabbing you in the belly to keep you honest when holding to a diet. lol.

6: Belt is key. get a belt that rigid and not made from an animal product. You really need something that bridges the loops of your pants and will not twist or flop out. I started with a trex nova belt, but ended up with a Cigera (formerly Alonso Defence) Emissary Belt. It's made out of scuba webbing and is perfect. I've worn it every day for over a year (including hiking several hundred miles) and its just slightly contoured to my muffintop. It's also just a good belt and doesn't look at all tactical.
glock19.jpg p365.jpg p365 blackpoint.png

Last edited:
In Ma it is absolutely imperative that nobody notice. The snowflakes will freak out and call 911.

I disagree. Never had anyone bother me. I dont wear form fitting tshirts, but dont mind if a headwind is clearly printing in appendix carry. I went from an SR9C to a LC9S, and the size made a difference from a comfort perspective.

You will get less self conscious of it over time. But remember, its not illegal to have a carry weapon print or bulge - just dont wave it around!

Last edited:
But then again I had a 2 way radio strapped to my hip working a road side job, some soccer mom called the local PD and said there was a man with a firearm in a holster at the jobsite. Local PD comes over and has a WTF moment.

Soccer mom needs a good bitch slap!

This is the first time you've carried a gun and you went for appendix? jesus christ. [laugh]
I tried 2 dozen holsters for 4 o'clock carry for 20 years before I called it quits and went IWAC. Not shit holsters either, several Mitch Rosen, alien, etc. Been carrying appendix for 5 ot 6 years and won't go back. It is just important to remember to be extremely careful when reholstering a live pistol, which should really be a rare occurance anyway. But this is true regardless of holster position.

Last edited:
Who ever said: "For the first month or so you will think every one is staring at you, then after that you won't give a damn".........is exactly correct.

I probably looked like a paranoid freak for at least the first week I was carrying.

Who ever said: "For the first month or so you will think every one is staring at you, then after that you won't give a damn".........is exactly correct.

I probably looked like a paranoid freak for at least the first week I was carrying.
For some it takes a months, others take longer. Maybe it has to do with age. I'm at that point in my life life where IDGAF what anyone thinks.

A couple of things:
1: No matter what the companies/internet says carrying appendix is never going to be very comfortable.
It requires an ideal combination of gun, belt, holster, and clothing to be effective. It's taken me about a year to figure out what works for me and I have no problem carrying a full size gun with flashlight with the right pants and the right cover garment. ps dark colors and patterns (plaid) are your friend when if comes to breaking up the outline of some printing
make sure your holster has a good claw to pull it in close to your body, if you carry near midline printing is pretty minimal. Also some modification with some foam or a yoga block helps if you have hotspots and also serves to push the gun into your body (again reducing printing).

2: Sometimes you dress around the gun, sometime you carry based on how you have to dress or where you have to go. If you want to carry all the time, your probably need two or three different types of guns.
Full size: Glock 19 with an RMR and x300 in Phlster spotlight or Darkstar Gear Rigel (both excellent and can fit a g34 if you are feeling John Wick) This requires an untucked button down shirt or light jacket/fleece. This is what I was carrying on friday (see below)
Subcompact: Glock 43 in a Phlster Skeleton, Sig P365 in Blackpoint Tactical AIWB (i am also trying out a phlster city) This dissapears under a flannel/buttondown shirt , but also is fine with under a looser t-shirt or polo (which is what i wear to work and what I am carrying today)
Deep conceal: S&W 360 or 60 in a Phlster city or pocket holster. I also have a kydex trigger guard for the G43 that makes it pocketable.

3: Practice (unloaded) getting your gun out and putting it back. You'll find some clothing better at clearing than others. In the real world there is no reason that you would have to put your gun back in your holster while it is still in your pants nor is there a reason to be taking your gun in and out of a holster all the time. but get used to the process without risk of blowing off your garbage or putting a hole in your femoral

4: It take a little while to get used to carrying. It gave me the heebie jeebies for the first 2-3 months thinking that everyone could tell but no one has every and that's mostly because i've done my job with the holster and the clothes. Everything prints a little bit, but really it's impossible to tell if it's just a crease in the shirt or my belt. No one notices.

5: Fitness. I've lost about 10-15 pounds over the winter and carrying has gotten exponentially easier and more comfortable. I've never been a total fat-body but also never skinny. I'll always have a little ponch, but if you have a gut AIWB is not going to be the most effective. Also there is nothing like a piece of plastic jabbing you in the belly to keep you honest when holding to a diet. lol.

6: Belt is key. get a belt that rigid and not made from an animal product. You really need something that bridges the loops of your pants and will not twist or flop out. I started with a trex nova belt, but ended up with a Cigera (formerly Alonso Defence) Emissary Belt. It's made out of scuba webbing and is perfect. I've worn it every day for over a year (including hiking several hundred miles) and its just slightly contoured to my muffintop. It's also just a good belt and doesn't look at all tactical.
View attachment 277457 View attachment 277458 View attachment 277460

I'm just a guy on the internet, and I have a gut larger than I aim to, but my LC9s is very comfortable AIWB in an n82 hybrid holster. The key for me is the small gun + good holster. I've carried larger guns and double stack guns IWB, they just haven't been as comfortable. At one point my typical carry was a glock 22 with 2 prebans. These days it's usually my LC9s or a small 38 revolver. Way more comfortable, probably sufficient.

FWIW...I started pocket carrying a Bodyguard 380, but I was never happy with it's accuaracy (or the caliber)
Then a Kahr PM9, also pocket carry
Then a Shield in 9 with Apex trigger. Never felt right in my hand
Then San Bernadino happened. Now, I carry my Glock 19...and don't give much of a crap if it prints. It's in a leather Vega Holster, and as long as you're careful with wardrobe....no one will notice....and if they do, IT DOESN'T MATTER.

I'm just a guy on the internet, and I have a gut larger than I aim to, but my LC9s is very comfortable AIWB in an n82 hybrid holster. The key for me is the small gun + good holster. I've carried larger guns and double stack guns IWB, they just haven't been as comfortable. At one point my typical carry was a glock 22 with 2 prebans. These days it's usually my LC9s or a small 38 revolver. Way more comfortable, probably sufficient.
Lol I think it can be comfortable, just not VERY comfortable. I can wear a g43 or p365 and almost forget about it. I am really warming up to carrying my snubbies, just because they are so damn comfortable.

For some it takes a months, others take longer. Maybe it has to do with age. I'm at that point in my life life where IDGAF what anyone thinks.

Yep.
That was somewhere around 40 for me, I'm 47 now.
I really don't f'ing care what anyone thinks.
....and I pretty much hate all human interaction too.
Damn, I wonder what happens at 50???

If you’re not carrying a 1911 in a drop leg, are you even carrying? [wink]

I would agree with not initially carrying appendix for a while. Get used to 3-5 placement iwb first. The gen 2 aliengear used to be pretty good for me but eventually gave the ghost, so I’m on the hunt for a new one. No idea on those new versions. You can carry any gun, just need to find the right holster.
I carry a Beretta Vertec iwb daily, and a shield for when I really care about concealment.

op, i think others have mentioned it before me....you're suffering from newbie-itis. every new person who begins to tote a concealed handgun feels the same way. everyone! and if someone tells you different they lie. google it and you'll find a few articles explaining this phenomenon. it might take several months to loose that self conscious feeling. for me, after maybe 50 years of cc, it's like wearing a watch, don't even know i have it until i need it.

Yes, people are extremely clueless and have no situational awareness. I am a clown. I dress at home and then drive to where I am performing. I am always looking at other drivers (at stop lights) to see if they notice. No one does. Even when getting out of the car and pumping gas, no one else notices, unless I am right in front of them.

F323061C-4825-4B72-89DF-CCB69FF6E67E.jpeg It’s a normal feeling. You’ll get over the thought that everyone can tell.
I had the same feeling about printing with my .38 snub, so I CC’d this in a down vest pocket and was still sure everyone could tell.
Keep carrying, you’ll get used to it.

A big change for me occurred when I realized a holster is more a garment than a tactical accessory.
It has to be comfortable first or it will end up in the drawer; just a matter of time.
A full size weapon on a smaller frame appendix carry can be done but it isn't easy and you could well end up with two holster drawers finding the right one for your needs.

Concealed carry can be very uncomfortable. There are hundreds of holsters and carry options as I’m sure u know. Your handgun choice is interesting...I would think carrying a full size gun would be very uncomfortable. Definitely try a sub compact or compact like a shield,XDS, Ruger 9mm etc etc..And train train train! don’t ever worry about printing. None of the purple haired idiots in this country are keeping thier eyes off of Pokémon Go long enough to see u print, and the sheep are so miss informed the last thing they would think that bulge is, is a gun. Good luck.

After doing much research I picked up a HK vp9 and went with the Alien Gear core pack. After taken a pistol class on Sat. and running a few hundred rounds thru it. I finally decided I felt comfortable enough to take it out concealed.
I set up the Alien holster for appendix carry, paired it with a pair of carhartt jeans and long sleeve. The shirt was a little baggier than I would normally wear. I felt like the bulge was pretty obvious and printed pretty bad. I switched up the holster to IWB and same thing. I'm not sure if the holster or the the gun. I really like the idea of the holster, seems like it's made well and they put some real thought into it.
I don't have a lot of experience or access to a bunch of different holsters to try them. I'm on the fence of returning the holster setup and just getting a OWB holster for range/ class. Currently looking at the Springfield XDS mod 2 in 9 MM for a EDC or M and P 2.0 compact. Any thoughts on the setup, either what I have or looking into. I'm 5'-6". Happy Shooting
everyone.
unless the gun has a decocoker i carry Israeli style; empty chamber on glocks and the likes. learned to chamber on draw. revolvers in a shoulder or belt holster

Another reason Gun Shows should be supported, in 1 room you can try numerous style holsters, with most dealers having replica guns on hand.
And the prices are cheaper than in most small shops.

Another reason Gun Shows should be supported, in 1 room you can try numerous style holsters, with most dealers having replica guns on hand.
Having had many guns pointed at me while working the GOAL tables at gun shows over the years by clueless people, I'm not in favor of folks bringing their gun to a gun show to try various holsters. Of course they are always "unloaded" (sure) but in most cases you have to cut the cable tie to fit it in a holster. No thanks.

Also there aren't a lot of high quality holsters on display at gun shows or even gun dealers. The really good ones have to be custom ordered. I've got a Rubbermaid tub full of holsters, so I know the issues trying to find "the right one".

I've carried a G26/27 Appendix in a FIST holster for a while. Well, not IN A while. A couple of years ago, I had some pretty strange hip problems and stopped carrying. Didn't re-start.

Recently, I've looked back into it. Now I have a G43. Definitely less printable material there.

I don't know if my body changed in 3 years or I changed my clothing style more than I thought, but that sucker just SCREAMS gun in everything I wear.

The 26 rode in a FIST ultra-thin kydex. I need to pull it out and try. I dropped the G43 into 2 different Appendix rigs - one with one of those "wings" on it. BOTH printed like a mo-fo no matter WHERE I put the gun in my front. I actually think I weigh LESS than I did 3 years ago, so it's not that.

I'm thinking of going back to IWB-strong-side. That spot in your back that it hides seems a whole lot better than my belly. I don't bend over a lot at work so I think I'd be good. But I need to try that old holster/gun first to see if it's just me, my clothing or my imagination.

What are the negatives of apendix carry?

Potential to shoot yourself on the draw under duress as well--and in a place unforgiving of mistakes.

golden chicken, where did you pick this up and what does it go for around here? I searched a few local places online and didn't see it being carried, Am going down the cape on Tuesday so going to swing into Cape Gun Works. Thanks

Where did u get the sk? Been looking

Armslist.

I've told this story before . . .

I was in Best Buy looking at what they had for GPSs, Summer in a t-shirt and shorts. A MSP Trooper in full uniform also came over to that area and looked puzzled wrt whatever product he was looking for. A clerk came over and asked me if I needed help and I just pointed to the Trooper and said "I think he could use some help". The Trooper was looking at me at that point and either didn't notice or care about any bulge (no idea if I was carrying the M&P 9c or full size 1911 when this happened . . . it was probably 10+ yrs ago).

So we are self-conscious but even (supposedly) trained LE don't notice.

After doing much research I picked up a HK vp9 and went with the Alien Gear core pack. After taken a pistol class on Sat. and running a few hundred rounds thru it. I finally decided I felt comfortable enough to take it out concealed.
I set up the Alien holster for appendix carry, paired it with a pair of carhartt jeans and long sleeve. The shirt was a little baggier than I would normally wear. I felt like the bulge was pretty obvious and printed pretty bad. I switched up the holster to IWB and same thing. I'm not sure if the holster or the the gun. I really like the idea of the holster, seems like it's made well and they put some real thought into it.
I don't have a lot of experience or access to a bunch of different holsters to try them. I'm on the fence of returning the holster setup and just getting a OWB holster for range/ class. Currently looking at the Springfield XDS mod 2 in 9 MM for a EDC or M and P 2.0 compact. Any thoughts on the setup, either what I have or looking into. I'm 5'-6". Happy Shooting everyone.
Vp9 is a school bus. Buy something smaller. Like a G19 or less. I would say a Shield. I'm 6' 220 and couldn't conceal a Vp9 COMFORTABLY.

Maybe, but part of the problem is, "internet". Even if I pretend that the gun show will have the same holsters I can grab off ebay or
amazon, let's say I'm looking for a holster. I can roll the dice on like 3 above trash quality holsters and get them sent to my house for like $150 and send two back if I don't like them (although I don't do that because im not a skinflint, ill just give or sell the others away). I got 3 holsters to try without even having to go anywhere to do it.

Or I can set $40 on fire (gas, admission, lunch, etc.) plus the three hours of lost time to go to a gun show just to even look at a holster.

In the old days I used to rationalize this stuff because even if I didn't find "that holster" I'd find some other stuff I wanted to buy. Oh maybe some parts or
accessories. Or a decent knife at an OK price. Or some ammo at a decent price. A lot of that stuff has all but dried up nowadays, or the only vendors
left selling it are going rapey. Or at least I'd run into a few NES friends at an MA gun show and make pleasant conversation. Now I'd be lucky to see 1 or 2 of
them that aren't otherwise working at the shows.

I like the idea of gun shows in general but in between the shitty laws/regulatory atmosphere in MA and the promoters being greasy and sketchy as f***, this doesn't help attract vendors that even sell stuff like what you're talking about. 10+ years ago I used to go to a gun show and drop 100-400 bucks every time because I found
stuff I wanted. In the recent past I've only ever bought stuff from people I already knew outside of the shows, kind of making the whole idea of the show
almost pointless. You go into these things now and its a depressing barren wasteland instead of a thriving market with an actual variety of stuff.

-Mike

Just carry it for a week, you'll get used to it sooner or later. Kind of big gun for appendix though. I prefer appendix but with a 1911 officer or commander size.

I894vmp.jpg
A couple of things:

View attachment 277457 View attachment 277458 View attachment 277460
A lot of what he said is spot on. Plus to add, I find that if you cinch the belt too tightly it can cause some comfort issues. Belt and holster make most of the comfort for me. Philsters are good holsters, I have a KSG Armory that is wonderful for comfort. Sidekick – KSG Armory
I think a point also being missed here is that the holster you selected from Alien probably wasn't the best option for AIWB. Better for just getting dedicated good holsters for each position. One thing I noticed with your holster that OP might appreciate and I know I did because I have them too are soft loops. They make a world of difference for the firearm.

So yes, OP you can conceal carry a VP9 comfortably (as comfortable as carrying a full size can get) AIWB. I carry a VP9T in a KSG armory sidekick (insert philster or other reputable higher end holster) and I'm 5'7" 190-200lbs. Wedges help for comfort as well while also making sure you have a claw of sorts will help bring the firearm in closer to the body. I do disagree with others though that AIWB is any less safe for beginners especially when we've all seen new shooters muzzle their entire hip trying to holster strongside (though I do have strongside holsters as well that I like).
PS: VP9s are not really that much larger than a G19 (though prebans are definitely a positive). In some respects it is the same or negligibly smaller. From how some people describe it, it is basically a DE vs the G19. haha
Edit to add photos: The RCS wedge on the bottom pushed the top of the firearm in, though deceptive at this angle as I'm slightly leaning over it, and keeps it very well hidden and the wedge pulls the grip into the body. Ignore the threading I was cleaning this gun and had the thread cap off before this post.
55963177_395097824644438_7225851269393416192_n.jpg 56349200_351142962171508_3342250190043086848_n.jpg 55770091_403225750243861_7076770871490117632_n.jpg
Lvd0bf5

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom