• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Disappointed in first time trying to Conceal Carry

Or it's just "None of your f***ing business". It's not a damn insulin pump, so don't say that it is.

It's easier to blow smoke then draw attention, and most dumbasses will feel they crossed a boundary if you use the medical device excuse, which causes them to back off, subconsciously. Getting pissed goes against "these aren't the droids you're looking for" idea.

It's easier to blow smoke then draw attention, and most dumbasses will feel they crossed a boundary if you use the medical device excuse, which causes them to back off, subconsciously. Getting pissed goes against "these aren't the droids you're looking for" idea.
Right.

You can also be more discrete, and simply say "it's personal, [and] I'd rather not discuss it." Then you've set the boundary and they have to decide to be the jerk that presses it. At that point you can easily excuse yourself from the conversation.

I have an XDS 9mm 3.3" (mod 1), and it disappears with the 7-round mag (4.4" height) and is easy to conceal with the 8-round mag (5" height). It's only .9" wide. You lose only a couple of rounds in capacity and gain a lot in concealment.
golden chicken, where did you pick this up and what does it go for around here? I searched a few local places online and didn't see it being carried, Am going down the cape on Tuesday so going to swing into Cape Gun Works. Thanks

Can only give you my experience which was I felt the whole world knew I had a pistol on my hip. Over time I learned that most people go through their lives mostly oblivious to whats going on around them. I would watch people and no one was looking at my hip or me in general. I became more comfortable as time went on and now I dont think twice about carring a Glock 19 iwb with a tshirt over it in the summer. No one knows shit.

The way youre most likely to give yourself away is to constantly be reaching around to check if its covered. Its more than likely all in your head.

This is complete accurate it’s new to you so you’re way aware of it and think everyone else is too

In addition to not sweating it, as described above...

If you're going to carry AIWB, it's even more critical that you have all your gear in line. A good belt, and the lowest-profile holster are going to be necessary to control the firearm. You really need to be able to keep tension through the beltline to hold the firearm tight against your body. You may find that one of the purpose-built holsters, with the claws, will help keep the heel of the grip against your abdomen to decrease printing. You'll also want to play with how high or low on you the firearm sits. The shape of your midsection, coupled with your posture, will also affect it. This is part of why so many folks buy so many different holsters, especially early on - figuring out all the variables of your body type and the firearm that you're carrying is going to take effort.

With that in mind, I wouldn't use the Alien Gear ShapeShift kit (or whatever it's called these days) at appendix. I'm sure it's fine for OWB, and it's probably fine IWB between 3 to 5 o'clock (7-9 on southpaws). There's just so much material there that I would never want to put between 11 and 1. Meanwhile, any of the modern Kydex rigs should put you in a better place - Tier1, BladeTec, Raven, the list goes on...

I have an XDS 9mm 3.3" (mod 1), and it disappears with the 7-round mag (4.4" height) and is easy to conceal with the 8-round mag (5" height). It's only .9" wide. You lose only a couple of rounds in capacity and gain a lot in concealment.
golden chicken, where did you pick this up and what does it go for around here? I searched a few local places online and didn't see it being carried, Am going down the cape on Tuesday so going to swing into Cape Gun Works. Thanks

I tried my VP9 appendix and couldn't do it. The OAL is too great to work with my tactical dad bod. I comfortably carried it at 4:30, right above my back pocket, but then it got in the way of pulling out my wallet and it also stuck out badly every time I bent forward--which is a lot since I fix cars for a living.

Traded my VP9 for a VP9sk and am experimenting again with appendix. It's much more comfortable with the shorter OAL. I can push everything down so the gut sort of sits on top of the back of the slide. It prints far less like this even for a new paranoid concealed carrier like myself. It still jabs me in the gut a bit when bending forward or sitting in a car, but it isn't exposed or so uncomfortable that you couldn't bend or sit. "Bonus": as a MA resident, there is no loss in mag capacity going down to the VP9sk or P30sk because you only get 10 either way.

Of course, now I have to consider things like belt buckle placement.
Where did u get the sk? Been looking

try wearing it around the house for a few days until you are comfortable with it... it takes a while before you forget it is there because you have it positioned where you are comfortable and you consider it concealed.

I carried big guns for years, Model 13 Smith with a short barrel, Glock 17, I never got made, even in the summer.

Good belts, good leather, positioning, and wearing an unzipped jacket were my "go to's "

Strap it on and go for a walk... get used to it

Appendix a full size VP9? Ouch. Would never have even thought to do that. Dont think I could.
Pretty much exactly what I was going say. I have the vp9 and the alien gear IWB and I wouldn't really consider it for appendix carry. Then again I don't like it with the alien gear for IWB. It's a full size 9, best OWB with some cover, or I'll go with something smaller IWB. And I'm in NH where most people don't give a f..

Pretty much exactly what I was going say. I have the vp9 and the alien gear IWB and I wouldn't really consider it for appendix carry. Then again I don't like it with the alien gear for IWB. It's a full size 9, best OWB with some cover, or I'll go with something smaller IWB. And I'm in NH where most people don't give a f..
Is the alien gear plastic or kydex how does it wear on the slide?

Lots of good advice above.

I tend to carry at 3:00 - 4:00. OBW during the winter months with a sweatshirt or a shirt jacket. IBW during the summer.

My wife and I were out looking at bedroom sets and mattresses. I was OBW with an unbuttoned shirt jacket bending over checking bed frames and rolling around on mattresses and my wife didn’t realize I was carrying until we got home and I put my weapon back in the safe. And she is usually pretty aware.

If you are going to carry on a regular basis you should get a lockbox for your vehicle in the event you end up going somewhere where you can’t carry. Sometimes plans change while you are out.

Bob

IMHO, flailing around with internet recommendations isn't the thing to do here (he said as making a recommendation). If I had to do this learning process again, I'd buy a $400 used J-Frame, and a pocket holster. Carry that, while you learn to shoot what you have.

When you've been shooting for a while, have an idea of what you like, and know what you don't like, revisit this. By the time you have a USPSA classification or have shot a couple of 80's matches, you'll be in a much better position to decide what you want to carry and how.

Lots of people regret XDs, buying the wrong Glock, M&P, or HK when they don't know what they want yet. Nobody ever regrets having an extra J-Frame.

Conceal.jpg Like most people you will go through a few gun/holster combinations before you find something that works for you.

For me this 938-9-wtp-ambi_left_1.jpg plus this concealed-carry-iwb-holster_1020.jpg = this 20190331_171553.jpg

Worn at 2:30 with a forward cant it doesn't dig into my thigh when I sit and fits close enough to
my body it disappears under a t-shirt. Having a little muffin doesn't hurt either.

Honestly 30 plus years of concealed carry nobody noticed. I have carried a model 66 and a Colt Defender ISW and a full size 1911 in a shoulder rig.

I think this was directed to me.

I got my XDS 9mm (mod 1) at Bob's Gun & Archery in Webster. I believe it was $459, including 2 mags. I got three more 8-rd mags for free from Springfield as part of a sales promotion.

First day I carried concealed it was with a full size M&P .40

I’m not tall or wide, I currently carry a G43 with a tier one concealment appendix’s holster. I can easily carry in board shorts with a medium sized T-shirt.

I highly recommend my current set up, it works great for me. I am similar height to you and athletic build.

You /especially/ shouldn't do it with a striker-fired gun in a 'jack of all trades' holster.

While being careful is tantamount, I've read striker fired firearms are no less safe than any other. But, I understand the thought behind your reasoning.

Lots of people regret XDs, buying the wrong Glock, M&P, or HK when they don't know what they want yet. Nobody ever regrets having an extra J-Frame.

I bought my share of wrong guns, I don’t regret any of them. It’s part of the experience, a rite of passage. Admittedly two of them became wrong the day I bought my P365, before that they were compromises I decided to live with. Another was an M&P fotay but I bought a 9mm drop in barrel so now I have an extra usable range gun for friends to shoot. What I might regret is the money I dumped on trigger jobs and night sights for the M&P full size & Shield.

That’s a good sized gun to try and carry.

Personally, I think appendix is the easiest to conceal. I’ve tried 3:30 to 6:00. And they all print on me.

That’s a good sized gun to try and carry.

Personally, I think appendix is the easiest to conceal. I’ve tried 3:30 to 6:00. And they all print on me.

I agree with AIWB being easiest to conceal although wasn’t too worried w/ printing at 3-4 o’clock. For me the 3-4 o’clock was more about feeling exposed from the side or if the shirt went up, got hung up, or if I snagged the gun on an armrest getting up (which happened once). With AIWB it’s all in front of you, you can see anyone who can potentially see your gun, people are less likely to stare at you there from the front, it’s easier to defend if ever needed, etc. It may not always be as comfortable w the larger guns but it’s easier to conceal even a larger gun AIWB, IMO.

My only advice to you is to keep buying different guns and different holsters and then when you find one you like and that you are comfortable with just keep buying more guns and more holsters. You can never have too many.

In addition to that you will find that at different times of the year you will need to change where you carry on your person. Summertime is less clothes so might want a smaller skinnier gun. The fall you put on a bit more so you might go for a medium size gun and winter...well, you can carry just about anything you want as our clothing becomes much bulkier...

Hang in there and don't give up. If you keep buying guns you will find the perfect one or two for each season.

Also keep in mind weddings and funerals or other events where you need to wear a suit...might want a shoulder rig for that or something tucked into the small of your back.

Just know that there is not one gun that fits all. It will take many guns to accommodate the many scenarios and seasons for carrying.

Enjoy...

Also keep in mind weddings and funerals or other events where you need to wear a suit...might want a shoulder rig for that or something tucked into the small of your back.

Enjoy...

Or ankle. Although I really need to try a shoulder rig one of these days.

I use an Alien Gear shapeshift for my G26 IWB at about 3:30. I find that it's very comfortable and I actually quite like the holster since I can detatch it from the backing and put it away in the bedside safe at night without actually unholstering the gun.

Back
Top Bottom