• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Disappointed ... 1st Bad deal in Classified

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can't get together to do the sale, why would you be able to get together to put down a deposit?
I dont use deposits and dont plan on every doing that on NES, however it would be simple to do. Lots of options.

Admittedly, I do not buy and sell much in the classifieds. Most of my acquisitions have been new from the LGS.
But I bought a gun from a member yesterday, and it went EXACTLY the way it is supposed to.

I decided it was time to pick up a Shadow 2. I was going to make the trip up to the mill and buy a new one, but my schedule was a problem. I saw an ad in the classifieds for a VERY fair price, on a beautiful, hardly used Shadow. I found the ad and messaged the guy figuring it was gone and he just had not edited the listing.

I had just two questions and he responded quickly. He told me UPFRONT that another guy was messaging him, and it was first come first served. I was not f***ing around and responded, "I'll take it and have cash in hand" and could meet the next day at 3:00. He graciously offered to meet me halfway, but I said I would drive to him. In return, he offered to fill the three mags it came with. Unnecessary, but a stand up move.
We were both early. I am never late for anything. It is a respect thing. The gun was exactly as advertised and perfect. He provided 30 rounds of very nice carry ammo, which I tried to refuse, but he insisted. In 20 minutes, I was on my way with my new gun.

1. Be respectful of peoples time.
2. Be a gentleman (or lady).
3. Don't play games.
4. Keep your word. Period.

Public shout out to @derekdiggs. Stand up, no BS guy. He did this deal EXACTLY the way you should.
My new Shadow 2.

View attachment 604886
It was my pleasure bud, fencer is great guy!

Crappy move on the seller‘s part and I can see where OP assumes the buyer knew it was already sold. Why else would the new buyer offer more money?

The seller could have said that he has a guy in line waiting for him to setup a meeting place... Buyer(being as it's such a good deal) said I can meet you(seller) in 20 minutes for $100 over your asking price and block from your house..

Now is where ethics kicks in.. Do you take the money now instead of waiting for the original purchaser, or wait.. Me, I would wait, but that's me...Seller could have needed the money right away for something, we don't know.

Ask anybody that has bought anything from me, if it was a good price I will usually have a few people say they want it.. I tell them they are 3rd or 4th in line if the previous buyer falls through.. I keep them updated as the status of the item. I usually(unless I forget) send a message to the next buyer in line that it has been sold, so he isn't waiting around.

Like I said I wouldn't sell from underneath someone who got to me first, but I usually don't need the money right away. If I did, I would let the buyer know that I will hold it but if someone comes through and wants to meet me right away and I can swing it, I will sell it to him.

I also tell the buyer to PLEASE let me know if he wants to back out before we are to meet. No hard feelings, no neg feedback.. Just let me know so I don't waste my time. There have been times where I changed my mind about buying something, but I already committed to the seller and now I have to go through with it lol Just did it last nite with a knife, told the guy I will Zelle when I got home.. Got home and started thinking more about it and decided I didn't want to spend the cash right now. Being as I don't want to ruffle any feathers buying from this guy, I went through with it, begrudgingly.. But, I had already committed.. The guy has incredible knives and I don't want to mess up any chance of not buying from him in the future.

When I am the seller or buyer I don't expect anybody to do what I would do, just exercise common courtesy and realize the other guys time is no less or more valuable than your own.

Being honest usually goes a long way.. If you need the cash ASAP, let the buyer know.. Most likely he will understand and do one of two things : 1) Tell you to go ahead and sell it and if it's still available when he has the cash he will take it.. Or, 2) He will somehow come up with the cash and meet you on your terms. Unless the buyer is a total bitch he will understand..

Also, I will only mark an ad "SPF" if I know the person or have dealt with them before and I know they are good. If the person who sayds they want the item, I keep the ad open so I can get some more offers in the meantime. If the first person to contact me hasn't committed, and another person contacts me ready to commit I will send a PM to the original prospective buyer and let them know I will give them 24 hours to respond otherwise I am going next in line to sell. I understand not everybody is on here 24 hrs a day, but if you are interested in buying something, set up notification so you can get my message. Either reply or don't.

Greg's Rules :)

Last edited:
Ask anybody that has bought anything from me, if it was a good price I will usually have a few people say they want it.. I tell them they are 3rd or 4th in line if the previous buyer falls through.. I keep them updated as the status of the item. I usually(unless I forget) send a message to the next buyer in line that it has been sold, so he isn't waiting around.
:)

I listed a stack on cabinet recently. Within about an hour I had 5 people say they'd take it.

I sold to the first guy who said messaged me and said they wanted it. I went down the list of people in order they PM'd me and told them their place in line and if anyone in front passed, then I'd let them know. I got some "side" offers and some that were more convenient.

I still sold to the first guy for the price I listed it for.

I just got burned on offer up yesterday. I think I'm done with that platform. "I'm on my way" no shows on that app are ridiculous. I think the success rate for selling on NES for me is probably 99.9%.
Even when I say I want something or I ask for more details and I can't make it happen I let people know.... what does it take to do that 20 seconds? It's not like you're ditching a wedding and not showing up at the altar.
A simple " sorry things have changed I can't do it"

I used offer up years ago and would constantly get ridiculous low balls. Gave up and left it for a few years. Tried it again a few years ago and had all the same negative experiences and left it again. I know people in other parts of the country where offer up is fine, it definitely isn’t here. If I sell a grill, tool, etc I always use marketplace. Craigslist was fine years ago but it seems like no one uses that any longer.

I have only had one person not show after agreeing to a sale. And another where we had a deal and they couldn't make it work for logistical reasons. I wasn't happy but I don't hold it against them. What I was most pissed about was the hour and half I wasted driving to and from the agreed upon meeting spot. I also had one person on here reach out about a gun I was selling that just gave me the impression that something was off so I let him know I wasn't selling. My biggest gripe is not getting feedback when a deal is done.

Seller’s profile says he is 26 (1995 birthday) entitled millennial perhaps?

I hate to make it about age, but it seems that honor and integrity is often lost (or never taught) these days… I’ve met (bought/sold) to plenty of folks on here, younger and older — it’s more about the person than age, but the seller sounds (by OP’s posting) to be pretty immature to whore himself for an extra $50.
I think most millenials are in their 30's at this point.

When I was selling last year here in preparation for moving I came across a few dummies here. All were paid green accounts. One guy accidentally outed 2 of his trading accounts to me while he attempted some convoluted good guy bad guy act with his 2 separate accounts. I reported him as it was in my opinion scummy and he had a shit ton of what looked to be fake feedback. Nothing happened to him though.

Never made any deals with him so I didn't give feedback although he gave me negative feedback for being a "fake account" or something similar. [rofl]
Sounds like alot of work to save a few bucks. People are strange.

So in your case I suspect a remote deposit transaction would not be possible. But the other 95% of the known world would be able to accommodate such a thing.
Oh, the sarcasm, how it burns. :rolleyes:

If you're going to do a remote transaction for a deposit, then you can do a remote transaction for the payment, and then just schedule a pickup. But, if you're unwilling to do a sight-unseen payment overall to reserve it, you're likely to be unwilling to do the same with a deposit. 95% of the people on the site would understand that as an implicit undertone in the comment. You and the other 5%, .....

Swing and a miss.

If you're going to do a remote transaction for a deposit, then you can do a remote transaction for the payment, and then just schedule a pickup. 95% of the people on the site would understand that as an implicit undertone in the comment. You and the other 5%, .....
This assumes you trust the seller to not cross you, since PayPal and friends will be happy to tell you "too bad" when you ask for a charge back on your (friends and family) transfer to buy a pistol...

Sounds like alot of work to save a few bucks. People are strange.
I believe he was trying to flip it. He had already sold several of the exact item I was selling. He was just trying to buy low and being a scumbag about it.

• Sad
Reactions: TLB
Oh, the sarcasm, how it burns. :rolleyes:

If you're going to do a remote transaction for a deposit, then you can do a remote transaction for the payment, and then just schedule a pickup. But, if you're unwilling to do a sight-unseen payment overall to reserve it, you're likely to be unwilling to do the same with a deposit. 95% of the people on the site would understand that as an implicit undertone in the comment. You and the other 5%, .....

Look man your the one with the dumb question. You knew exactly what I meant. I have done probably close to a hundred deposit secured transactions at this point in time.

Because you want to play ignorant I will explain: A deposit of $50-100 dollars expresses commitment without the risk of losing full payment. Maybe the sale is not real (never happened) or not a described (renegotiate in person) whatever the reason it is a well used technique that happens to work for both parties. Imagine that…

You say the seller did not mark the listing a sold and also claim the buyer knew it was already sold. How?

I looked at the ad the next day, Saturday, we spoke at 6pm friday, he had not marked it sold pending funds .. I have the text messages from the seller , saying exactly that he was offered more! Is that good or clear enough for you Rob?

He addressed it above somewhere; the other buyer offered more than the listed price. The seller more than likely said he had a buyer and the other buyer said he’d pay more.
Thanks, exactly ..

This assumes you trust the seller to not cross you, since PayPal and friends will be happy to tell you "too bad" when you ask for a charge back on your (friends and family) transfer to buy a pistol...
That was my point. You quoted it as I was editing it.

Look man your the one with the dumb question. You knew exactly what I meant. I have done probably close to a hundred deposit secured transactions at this point in time.

Because you want to play ignorant I will explain: A deposit of $50-100 dollars expresses commitment without the risk of losing full payment. Maybe the sale is not real (never happened) or not a described (renegotiate in person) whatever the reason it is a well used technique that happens to work for both parties. Imagine that…
I understood exactly what you meant. I was implying that the OP likely didn't trust the seller enough to do it. To be honest, my first reaction to your post was to think something stunningly uncomplimentary, but then decided there was no need to be rude about it. Clearly, a wasted effort on my part.

I understood exactly what you meant. I was implying that the OP likely didn't trust the seller enough to do it. To be honest, my first reaction to your post was to think something stunningly uncomplimentary, but then decided there was no need to be rude about it. Clearly, a wasted effort on my part.

So you decided to throw out a stupid question as an obscure method of understanding. And here I just thought you had no ability to transfer cash online. You were just being a wiseass. Got it.

So in closing the OP has zero recourse or standing precisely because the deposit method was not used. And if one thinks just because NES membership will honor a verbal agreement then surely a small deposit would be a safe bet. Amiright?

I used offer up years ago and would constantly get ridiculous low balls. Gave up and left it for a few years. Tried it again a few years ago and had all the same negative experiences and left it again. I know people in other parts of the country where offer up is fine, it definitely isn’t here. If I sell a grill, tool, etc I always use marketplace. Craigslist was fine years ago but it seems like no one uses that any longer.
Just bought a drywall lift off CL. No problems. I'll be flipping here when I'm done with it. Much better and cheaper than renting, and I dont feel rushed.

I looked at the ad the next day, Saturday, we spoke at 6pm friday, he had not marked it sold pending funds .. I have the text messages from the seller , saying exactly that he was offered more! Is that good or clear enough for you Rob?

Thanks, exactly ..
Hey... I bought off you about 5 years ago. You showed up when u said you'd be there (as I did) and what you sold me was 100% what you advertised it to be, and you're price was fair.
You can't ask for any more than that on either side of a deal. Don't know why some can't. I've always ask for more info or pics when buying, and sometimes I say sorry, no thanks, but that should be expected too.
Last time I really lowballed a guy was on a car I looked at, it had really bad rot near a control arm mount on both sides (common failure point) and I told him why I was I was lowballing. He said no thanks and we both went on our way. Hope the new owner gets a few years out of it.

Thanks, exactly ..
I think a few of us had the same question from your initial post. Now it is clear that you offered full price. I still would put the blame on the seller, not the buyer... You don't know what the seller said to the buyer, plus the buyer did not have an agreement with you.

When I was selling last year here in preparation for moving I came across a few dummies here. All were paid green accounts. One guy accidentally outed 2 of his trading accounts to me while he attempted some convoluted good guy bad guy act with his 2 separate accounts. I reported him as it was in my opinion scummy and he had a shit ton of what looked to be fake feedback. Nothing happened to him though.

Never made any deals with him so I didn't give feedback although he gave me negative feedback for being a "fake account" or something similar. [rofl]
That's too funny.

I get it that sometimes shit happens, but the fact that so many guys can find reasons that it is ok to not keep their word disappoints me.
Everything you need to live by, you learned before you got out of first grade.
Be honest and fair.
Keep your promises and commitments.
Do the right thing and help others when you can.
Don't be a dick.
It's just not that difficult.

OP, I agree with you. Sucks but don’t let it bother you too much. I’ve done more deals on NES than my feedback shows and I only had a couple negative experiences like this. Most here would honor a sale agreement. I think of all the stand up folks I’ve dealt with and met on NES and I learned from the couple bum deals I had. There will be another gun to buy.

If it was just that one guy I would of just laughed. But I had to deal with a handful of people who were really annoying the shit out of me. Ghosting, tire kickers, etc. It was a pain.
I attracted a handful myself the last time I listed something. I got so irritated, I ended up just giving it to a friend of mine at work.

Bust a deal, face the wheel.
mad-max-jvJW7m.gif

NES is pretty tame. Other gun boards would have permanently banned the seller for agreeing to sell, and then reneging when offered more.

As a wise man once said, "What you tolerate, you validate."

I get it that sometimes shit happens, but the fact that so many guys can find reasons that it is ok to not keep their word disappoints me.
Everything you need to live by, you learned before you got out of first grade.
Be honest and fair.
Keep your promises and commitments.
Do the right thing and help others when you can.
Don't be a dick.
It's just not that difficult.
Sadly those values are no longer being adopted. Definitely teaching that to my kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom