• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Disappointed ... 1st Bad deal in Classified

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason is irrelevant. The fact is when you make a deal you honor it.

Yep. I sold a plate vest and plates about 10 days ago. I had 3 offers in 45 minutes for asking price no haggling. At that point I believed that I had the price to low and that maybe I could get another $25 to $50 for it. I didn't make up any lame excuses so I could raise the price. I sold it to the first guy who contacted me and lesson learned. Next time do more research on pricing before posting the add.

Yep. I sold a plate vest and plates about 10 days ago. I had 3 offers in 45 minutes for asking price no haggling. At that point I believed that I had the price to low and that maybe I could get another $25 to $50 for it. I didn't make up any lame excuses so I could raise the price. I sold it to the first guy who contacted me and lesson learned. Next time do more research on pricing before posting the add.

Good on you.

Plus, you didn't lose much. These days, that extra $50 wouldn't really buy a lot, anyway.

NES is too far for me to buy/sell through anymore but I've done a ton on the Smith-Wesson forum. It's more national and shipping is the default.
I've never had a problem like that described, but others there may have.
Posting "I'll take it" seals the deal, period.

NES is too far for me to buy/sell through anymore but I've done a ton on the Smith-Wesson forum. It's more national and shipping is the default.
I've never had a problem like that described, but others there may have.
Posting "I'll take it" seals the deal, period.
The Smith & Wesson "blue" forum is a whole 'nother ballgame... massively over-moderated with crazy strict rules and punishments handed out for just about anything and everything... but the upside of that craziness is that it's a pretty good and relatively safe place to buy firearms and accessories as long as you do your homework re: checking out seller posting history and feedback. [cheers]

I was trying to sell a 57 Ford truck. Put it up way too cheap @ $4500. 1st guy said he wanted it but could not make it till the next evening, to which I agreed. Over the next 24 hrs I got 50 e-mails with overs to come immediately and the highest was $5500.
Sale went to the 1st guy the following evening for $4500. 1 K for someone self employed living hand to mouth is not easy to pass on.

Always amazing when I read these stories at how cheaply people will sell their integrity.

In what other situation, online or physical store, would it be reasonable for someone to say they’d like to buy a product, just not now, but in a week or two, and it be reasonable for the seller/business to be obliged to wait and turn down customers, and without a deposit?
I do it almost every single day.
"Hey, do you have any xxx?"
"Yes, but they are going fast"
"Can you put my name on 30 of them for a job I have in 3 weeks?"
"Sure"

That inventory is now listed as committed. Now, if you burn me, I will never do it again, and I will remind you of it the next time you ask. I will tell you right to your face.
"I'm not holding it for you because the last time you asked, you didn't take it" "Either pay for it now, or check back when you actually need it"
It is a little different for me because I only sell wholesale. (thank god)

Lot of members here pounding their chest and declaring their virtue... and stating that they will never do business with any member who doesn't equally declare their support for the "sold is sold no matter what time frame" position. [thinking]

I wonder how long that's gonna last when the next really good deal shows up in the Classifieds. [laugh]

Lot of members here pounding their chest and declaring their virtue... and stating that they will never do business with any member who doesn't equally declare their support for the "sold is sold no matter what time frame" position. [thinking]

I wonder how long that's gonna last when the next really good deal shows up in the Classifieds. [laugh]

friday-movie-that-was-different.gif

The reason is irrelevant. The fact is when you make a deal you honor it. If you want to put stipulations on it then say it on the ad. People continue to find reasons to explain or defend shitty behavior. Ill never understand
This, It’s not that hard to not commit…. I’d reply with “i needed this sold yesterday, if we can’t close this out by X going to need to offer it to the next guy”. I’ve done that before with no issues.

Protip for buyers, though: The guy that helps roll out the red carpet/silver platter is more likely to “win” up front. If there’s an item at a great price it pays dividends to make the seller want to select you.

Example: I am selling a barely used HK PXY Exiectalub special edition for $1000 which is like 2 hundo below new. I get a blast of 6 PMs. Five of them are asking questions or hemming and hawing. (really???? its a commidity gun for f***s sake, lol ). The 6th guy sends me a PM going “I want your gun. I live in X but can travel to your area. I’ll get the money this afternoon I can meet you tonight after 5 or any other night after 6. Give me a ring at (phone). Let’s discuss. If I can’t pick up leave short vm ill call you back within the hour. Thanks, good guy greg.”

Guess who I’m selling to? lol.

This, It’s not that hard to not commit…. I’d reply with “i needed this sold yesterday, if we can’t close this out by X going to need to offer it to the next guy”. I’ve done that before with no issues.

Protip for buyers, though: The guy that helps roll out the red carpet/silver platter is more likely to “win” up front. If there’s an item at a great price it pays dividends to make the seller want to select you.

Example: I am selling a barely used HK PXY Exiectalub special edition for $1000 which is like 2 hundo below new. I get a blast of 6 PMs. Five of them are asking questions or hemming and hawing. (really???? its a commidity gun for f***s sake, lol ). The 6th guy sends me a PM going “I want your gun. I live in X but can travel to your area. I’ll get the money this afternoon I can meet you tonight after 5 or any other night after 6. Give me a ring at (phone). Let’s discuss. If I can’t pick up leave short vm ill call you back within the hour. Thanks, good guy greg.”

Guess who I’m selling to? lol.
I just burried the money, Ill send you the coordinates after you transfer it to me. Bring your own shovel

The reason is irrelevant. The fact is when you make a deal you honor it. If you want to put stipulations on it then say it on the ad. People continue to find reasons to explain or defend shitty behavior. Ill never understand

I spent about 5 years making and selling hand guards for AKs. I probably shipped about 400 +- without payment. Of all those transactions I can think of 2 instances where I did not get paid as soon as the person got the guard. One was an order for 10 to a distributor who had gotten brain cancer and was MIA for about 6 mo. As soon as he was back on the boards and healed he immediately made good. 1 guard I never got paid for.

It's a gun community, it's fairly safe to do business with someone in it. Conditions as was touched on should be hammered out in the initial contact. I can't meet till xxx, I need to sell it immediately, your second on the list, I'll hold with a deposit of xxx, 1st come 1st serve, etc.

It absolutely does not. BOTH parties have to agree. I've rejected many, many buyers here on NES who said they were interested. Hell, the last item I listed I rejected the person who PM'd me due to poor feedback/new account.
Member upcountry was referring to the Smith & Wesson "blue" forum (not NES)... and yes, posting "I'll take it" first in the seller's WTS thread there does pretty much seal the deal. They are extremely strict about that rule there. Posting it and not meaning it will get you points, suspended or banned.

We don't have that ability to post "I'll take it" here or that rule. Not saying that difference in rules is good or bad. Just different. :cool:

Member upcountry was referring to the Smith & Wesson "blue" forum (not NES)... and yes, posting "I'll take it" first in the seller's WTS thread there does pretty much seal the deal. They are extremely strict about that rule there. Posting it and not meaning it will get you points, suspended or banned.

We don't have that ability to post "I'll take it" here or that rule. Not saying that difference in rules is good or bad. Just different. :cool:
That’s actually a little extreme IMO, I’d much rather trust my own good judgment and instincts than have some draconian rule and a heavy handed Mod that forces me to sell to somebody that I may choose or decide not to, for any reason that I decide. 🤷‍♂️

That’s actually a little extreme IMO, I’d much rather trust my own good judgment and instincts than have some draconian rule and a heavy handed Mod that forces me to sell to somebody that I may choose or decide not to, for any reason that I decide. 🤷‍♂️
It's more like Gunbroker: Commit to buy and that is it.

It works well for over there. It has helped me score many times, but also lose over there too when you need a bit more information from the seller to commit and someone else scoots in there with "I'll take it" ahead of you. I've lost some really nice guns because of that. [thinking]

Could it work here? I don't think so. It's not the culture of NES. Different audience altogether.

Deals on the S-W forum have fallen through and are re-posted as such. Usually due to miscommunication or misunderstanding as a factor.
If one member intentionally screws the buyer/seller, it then becomes an issue.
It's pretty straight forward and not dictatorial by evil moderators. It's just the rules all agree to.

It's just the rules all agree to.

Right. But we don't, here.

That's the point. This is a different culture than S-W is. Doesn't make one right or one wrong; they're just different.

I think people are reacting to your "period" statement about "I'll take it." That's absolutely NOT the ethos here. If you want it to be that way, you can put that in your WTS ad, and that's okay... but you'll have no recourse in case the first claimant doesn't/can't follow through.

Even when we allowed open posting in classifieds 100 yrs ago, that still wasn't convention here. Both parties must agree otherwise nothing happens / there is no obligation for a specific seller to act etc.

The "I beat heywood jablome on the buzzer" thing is not so much a thing around here. Proper Closing of deals is. like setting terms. Then asking if the other guy agrees to those
terms. Be specific. Do whatever you can to make it easier for the other party/reduce the # of message exchanges. More info conveyed in less time is better Don't be a retard. its not that hard. COMMUNICATE. [laugh]

Then, and only then, can you relax and get a cup of coffee.

(nsfw)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsl1ZxnreDE

Oh, I have nonidea what goes on outside

By the way, the OP is a salt of the Earth NES member. A great person in general.
I agree. OP is a top-shelf guy for sure. I would buy from him or sell to him with complete confidence even if it took a month for us to get together. [laugh]

The problem is that a brand new member desperate to sell everything he owns cheap & fast for the quick cash he needs doesn't have that luxury.

I, too, have lost some terrific deals due to time and distance. A couple of them really hurt. But that's reality. We all don't live 5 minutes apart. [thinking]

Even when we allowed open posting in classifieds 100 yrs ago, that still wasn't convention here. Both parties must agree otherwise nothing happens / there is no obligation for a specific seller to act etc.

The "I beat heywood jablome on the buzzer" thing is not so much a thing around here. Proper Closing of deals is. like setting terms. Then asking if the other guy agrees to those
terms. Be specific. Do whatever you can to make it easier for the other party/reduce the # of message exchanges. More info conveyed in less time is better Don't be a retard. its not that hard. COMMUNICATE. [laugh]

Then, and only then, can you relax and get a cup of coffee.

(nsfw)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsl1ZxnreDE

I can't imagine the shitshow if comments were allowed on sales on NES. It would be good entertainment though.

Interesting, based on the times I've seen threads started about people butthurt by the classifieds I would have assumed the opposite.
If people posted something insane people would comment but they'd usually not engage as to not give credit to the insane price being called out

Reactions: JRT
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom