• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Disappointed ... 1st Bad deal in Classified

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm. Not the big difference I thought it would be. Could be that some came back later and left feedback that I didn't notice?

So much for my suggestion. [laugh]

I thought it was a good one, until I actually looked.. No idea feedback was deleted after a certain amount of time, or limited to one page.

Oh well, life goes on :)

His feedback goes to 2013, shortly after joining NES. I don't think they're being deleted.

Naw, something is up.. Look at my feedback and feedback I left for others.... I have been buying/selling on here since 2004.

On my end at least, there is only one page of feedback left and one page feedback given.

Naw, something is up.. Look at my feedback and feedback I left for others.... I have been buying/selling on here since 2004.

On my end at least, there is only one page of feedback left and one page feedback given.
Did feedback come over from the old forum?

After posting that, I looked at yours and then another member who I know is good about leaving feedback - also capped at 20. Maybe this is a setting that @Admin or @sHORTY can take a look at?

This exact circumstance happened to me a few years ago on a keltec sub 2000. We made the deal and we could not set a date because of conflicting schedules. I contacted the seller 36 hours later and he told me it was sold. I said, "Yeah, you sold it to me" He told me he didn't think I was serious. I just chalked it up to miscommunication. I will never get into who is correct or incorrect on this one. Most people here are good people.

Yeah, that sucks. But I refuse to beg for feedback. Instead, I tell people to look at my feedback left for others to tell how many successful deals I have done.
I dont beg but I remind someone to send me rep when the deals closed. Most people are happy to and even more seem to just forget. We need to use the system correctly if it means a damn.

We need to use the system correctly if it means a damn.
Its an invaluable tool at our fingertips that everyone should take advantage of. It literally takes two minutes.

IMO, 20 feedbacks should be more than enough to weed out the flakes. What are we going to ascertain from 40 that we couldnt from 20?

This exact circumstance happened to me a few years ago on a keltec sub 2000. We made the deal and we could not set a date because of conflicting schedules. I contacted the seller 36 hours later and he told me it was sold. I said, "Yeah, you sold it to me" He told me he didn't think I was serious. I just chalked it up to miscommunication. I will never get into who is correct or incorrect on this one. Most people here are good people.
Did you put a deposit on it or he did explicitly said he’d hold it?

Sorry, no sympathy here. Consider if you will, you find a car online that you’d really like to buy. You talk (or email) the dealer and say you will take it. They then ask you when you can do the transaction. You then tell them you’re busy.

What do you expect they will do if someone walks I. With. Fistful of dollars?

Pretty sure you’re gonna lose out. Why would you expect anything different with a privet transaction?

I have been on both sides of this, when I wanted something and could not coordinate a time I have always offered a retainer to o prove I am interested in making it happen 50 or 100 bucks.

As a seller I have had a lot of people say I will take it and then never respond back. Both sides need to give a bit to make it happen.

Sounds like everyone could have done more.

Sorry, no sympathy here. Consider if you will, you find a car online that you’d really like to buy. You talk (or email) the dealer and say you will take it. They then ask you when you can do the transaction. You then tell them you’re busy.

What do you expect they will do if someone walks I. With. Fistful of dollars?

Pretty sure you’re gonna lose out. Why would you expect anything different with a privet transaction?

You left out the bit where they said they'd post it SPF, thus (presumably) shutting down future offers... but never did so.

Did you tell the first guy "deal" and agree to sell it to him? If you just skipped over his offer for another guy, I don't see anything wrong with that. Breaking an agreement is different.
Nope; just immediately messaged the second guy (Flotter390, for those who remember him) and set up a meet. Which was why I was so annoyed. Just him replying "Hey, I'll take it" does not obligate me to do anything.

Did you put a deposit on it or he did explicitly said he’d hold it?
I had a verbal agreement over the phone which is how I have made every other deal on NES. In our initial conversation we could not come up with a time to meet that suited us. I said i would get back to him in a day or so. 36 hours later it was sold. As I said..... I am not judging anyone. Miscommunications happen.

It's entirely unreasonable to expect someone who is trying to sell something, to not sell something, but instead hold it for someone, for free, for however long it takes them to gather up the money or find time to actually, you know, buy it.

Hey, I'd like to buy it.

Sounds good, great! When can you meet?

Actually, I'm out of town for the next couple of weeks. But I totally called it first, so you can't sell it. I'll let you know in a week or two when I can meet.

It's entirely unreasonable to expect someone who is trying to sell something, to not sell something, but instead hold it for someone, for free, for however long it takes them to gather up the money or find time to actually, you know, buy it.

Hey, I'd like to buy it.

Sounds good, great! When can you meet?

Actually, I'm out of town for the next couple of weeks. But I totally called it first, so you can't sell it. I'll let you know in a week or two when I can meet.

I've had that exact situation. I told the seller I'd be very interested in buying... once I got back from vacay, and that in the meantime, he should feel free to accept whatever offer he got from anyone else. That seemed reasonable to me; I'd have liked to hear that if I was selling. Apparently that guy liked it too, because he said he'd hold it and the deal went off without a hitch.

It's all about honesty and communication on a forum like this.

There are at least two classes of (secretly) motivated sellers whose situation
plenty of NESers can't (or won't) appreciate:
  1. People who thought they were going to flip guns as a side-hustle, but suck at it, and have to liquidate inventory to pay for groceries.
  2. People faced with unanticipated bills (you've got cancer!), no liquid assets, and a pile of guns'n'ammo they frankly couldn't afford in the first place.
It's not hard to imagine people in those positions cutting ethical corners
to pay their bills. Just as it's not hard to imagine prospective buyers driving
a harder bargain when they know the seller is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

05165578cbb7032010913c076ae527fc107fb2-wm.jpg

Cue the old joke about the shopkeeper who finds a $20 on the floor,
which begs the ethical issue...
Should he tell his business partner?

I lubricate my keyboard with NAPA/Balkamp Sil-Glyde.
What do you use to make your <Page Down> key run fast?
dcfdb8cc-44fe-4ed6-855a-bf0e0f37e4ef.2698c7aea223d6ba93741bb0d45c5ce2.jpeg

The reason is irrelevant. The fact is when you make a deal you honor it. If you want to put stipulations on it then say it on the ad. People continue to find reasons to explain or defend shitty behavior. Ill never understand

I had a verbal agreement over the phone which is how I have made every other deal on NES. In our initial conversation we could not come up with a time to meet that suited us. I said i would get back to him in a day or so. 36 hours later it was sold. As I said..... I am not judging anyone. Miscommunications happen.
Based on posts in this and similar threads,
I have the impression that some private gun sales experts on NES
would say that the seller understood precisely what you communicated.

There are at least two classes of (secretly) motivated sellers whose situation
plenty of NESers can't (or won't) appreciate: ...
The reason is irrelevant. The fact is when you make a deal you honor it. If you want to put stipulations on it then say it on the ad. People continue to find reasons to explain or defend shitty behavior. Ill never understand
I didn't ask for a volunteer to prove my point,
but thanks all the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom