• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Disabling S&W Shield Safety

Because the CW9 or CM9 costs about $250 less than a PM9 and its the functional equivalent of the PM9, just uglier.

You are also comparing apples to oranges.

CW9= less expensive P9
CM9= less expensive PM9

Everyone gets all worked up over the PM9/CM9 when most people would be better served by the P9/CW9. The larger guns are the same size as a shield.
So if you want to compare apples to apples, namely a slim 9mm with a grip large enough to get your whole hand on, the gun to compare with is the CW/P9

Remember one thing. Unless you are going to carry the PM9 in your pocket, it is almost universally inferior to the P9. I know. I've owned both and also an intermediate itteration that Kahr made in the late 90s called the P9 Covert which had a P9 slide and a PM9 grip.

My first polymer framed Kahr was a P9, then I got the covert, then i got the PM9 hoping to pocket carry it. It proved to be too heavy for me to pocket carry so I ended up carrying it in an IWB I still owned, from when I had the P9.

The PM9 is no easier to carry than a P9 in an IWB holster and its more difficult to shoot well and holds one less round. So my point is that most people do themselves a disservice by immediately and reflexively gravitating towards the PM9/CM9 when the P9/CW9 is probably a better choice. This is ESPECIALLY true of women or men who have diminished hand strength since the longer slide of the P9 tames the recoil a bit and the longer grip allows you to get your pinkie on the grip. (This obsession that men have with buying women cute little guns is another pet peeve of mine, but that is another rant)

Thank you. That's a lot more about the different Kahr models than I knew previously.

You are very welcome.

One other thing I forgot to mention. Once I figured out I would not be carrying the PM9 in my pocket, I sold it and went back to the P9. Which I still own.

Finally, Kahr offers a GREAT deal to NRA pistol instructors. $410 for either the P9 or PM9. Thats over $150 under dealer cost.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You are very welcome.

One other thing I forgot to mention. Once I figured out I would not be carrying the PM9 in my pocket, I sold it and went back to the P9. Which I still own.

Finally, Kahr offers a GREAT deal to NRA pistol instructors. $410 for either the P9 or PM9. Thats over $150 under dealer cost.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

So looking at the Kahr website (which is running dog slow for me, strange) - is the only real difference on the less expensive models the traditional vs polygonal rifling?

I like the epoxy idea. If surfaces are clean and roughened prior to epoxy, that safety wont move in your lifetime.

I'd probably consider a Shield if they got rid of the safety. But I don't even like the M&P line. If Glock ever makes a single stack 9 these will probably be discontinued. Good luck.

Not happening. There are enough "bweah bweah ill never own a gwock" whiners that would still buy the shield. I think the Shield is one of the best guns they have running, actually.... the only thing I hate about it is that ****ing safety. Why they don't offer a SKU that doesn't have it, is beyond me.

Not to mention, Smith has made a nice landing spot for all the LC9 owners to land in.... and there are still thousands of people who have to jettison those... so they need somewhere to go. [laugh]

-Mike

So looking at the Kahr website (which is running dog slow for me, strange) - is the only real difference on the less expensive models the traditional vs polygonal rifling?

The CWs have crappier sights, a MIM slide stop, conventionally rifled barrel, and the rollmarks on the slides are chinsier. The CW is still a pretty competent alternative, IMHO, if the cash is a consideration.

-Mike

Mike nailed it.

One other thing. The P series these days seems to be coming with 3 mags and the CW only 1. The Ps come with 2 flush fitting and one +1 mag. I've also noticed that the CWs frames have less cosmetic finishing than the Ps. You may find a piece of mold flash on the interior of a CW frame that would have been cut and sanded off on a P.

I shot a CW for the first time about 4 years ago at a show. The Kahr rep told me that the bottom end was identical between the two guns. They shoot exactly the same. I've only owned Ps because with a NRA instructor certification and the discount it gets you, the P is a no brainer. (The CW is not on the instructor list)

Last edited:
I find myself wanting a Kahr now but I have no logical reason whatsoever to get one. For a pocket gun I carry a J-frame, for a compact carry gun I've got a G26, or if I want more capacity there's the G19.

I find myself wanting a Kahr now but I have no logical reason whatsoever to get one. For a pocket gun I carry a J-frame, for a compact carry gun I've got a G26, or if I want more capacity there's the G19.

I say do it! In my experience the PM9/CM9 is vastly superior to the j frame. It's more concealable, faster reloads, and much better sights/accuracy(plus availability of night sights). I had size comparison pictures in a thread a few years ago, I'll try and find them.

This has nothing to do with the original post but one thing I didn't see mentioned above is the legal issue and how it would play in court if the safety was disabled. I would imagine if unfortunate enough to have had to use it in a self defense situation, one would be ripped a new one by the bad guys (or dead bad guys family) lawyers over it. You know the drill...."with the safety disabled you hunted for people to kill" kind of thing. A very Massachusetts mind set for a lot of people.

This has nothing to do with the original post but one thing I didn't see mentioned above is the legal issue and how it would play in court if the safety was disabled. I would imagine if unfortunate enough to have had to use it in a self defense situation, one would be ripped a new one by the bad guys (or dead bad guys family) lawyers over it. You know the drill...."with the safety disabled you hunted for people to kill" kind of thing. A very Massachusetts mind set for a lot of people.

Maybe in MA... I would imagine that a decent layer could easily make the case that Glocks don't even have a safety to begin with and thousands of LEOs carry them and aren't hunting people. There's nothing wrong with a gun without a safety and there are tons of models along with some clear rationale why one would choose not to have one. I don't think you'd be butchered in court over that. Plus in many good self defense shoots, the victim doesn't even get taken to the station or have their gun taken from them, so no one would know to begin with.

Everyone repeats this ayoob glue fumes stuff over and over but then in the end provides very few cases to back it up.

IMO the only time (sane) gun mods would become a genuine problem is if you didn't "intend" to shoot someone and had an ND, it would push the negligence bar against you.

-Mike

Everyone repeats this ayoob glue fumes stuff over and over but then in the end provides very few cases to back it up.

IMO the only time (sane) gun mods would become a genuine problem is if you didn't "intend" to shoot someone and had an ND, it would push the negligence bar against you.

-Mike

This is exactly how I would view this.

One thing I was surprised by was the time the defense in the Zimmerman case spent asking the "weapons expert" about the trigger weight of his Kel Tec. It must have been worked on because i believe it was 4.5lbs. He pushed her into admitting that the gun GZ carried was "safe". She concurred.

skip to 28:00 ish.

ok. here's the prosecution redirect.

start at 42:30 and ask yourself if you want to carry a firearm for self defense that is different from "normal" in any way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOtDPKIxzzQ

George Z's case? Seriously? There's also this false belief that somehow gun function affects the outcome of a case. It really doesn't. You either meant to shoot someone or you didn't, it's that simple.

There were a bunch of nippleheads whining about Harold Fish carrying a 10mm, compared to the rest of the problems he faced, it pretty much was nothing.

-Mike

i love the shield 9mm.
have never had the safety engaged. never intentionally. never unintentionally.

Rumor has it they're coming out with a no safety shield.

rsWqMw8.jpg

Probably not compliant for MA dealer sales.

If the gun has an LCI (like every other M&P handgun does) it won't matter. It depends on whether or not S&W makes a SKU for it that comes with a factory shit trigger.

-Mike

If the gun has an LCI (like every other M&P handgun does) it won't matter. It depends on whether or not S&W makes a SKU for it that comes with a factory shit trigger.

-Mike

Yup, just like the full-size and compact M&P models.

Sounds like Smith is smartening up. Killing the Compact models and now this. Wow. Such innovation. Many smart.

And they didn't really beat Glock to the punch. Glock haters will always gravitate toward Smith and create this new market. Ruger already has the POS LC9 [laugh]

-Mike

Why am I thinking then if the Glock needs 3 safties (drop, trigger blade, firing pin block) to be complaint? Maybe that's for importation? My brain is fried.

The Shield without safety still probably has the firing pin block, trigger blade, and the drop safety.
huh.gif

Last edited:
Sounds like Smith is smartening up. Killing the Compact models and now this. Wow. Such innovation. Many smart.

They're figuring out where they went retarded and fixing it, apparently... first the BG380 upgrade, now this.

And they didn't really beat Glock to the punch. Glock haters will always gravitate toward Smith and create this new market.

I don't think it's that, really. Price point is a big part of it. Even if Glock comes out with a single stack 9mm it will not be $375 or whatever the shield costs, it'll probably be $50-75 more than that easy. They won't compete with one another anyways because anyone that is brutally serious about size as a selling point is not going to be buying a shield anyways. The shield kinda stands alone in its
size class anyways, the LC9 is such a POS it's not even worth mentioning in the same sentence.

Why am I thinking then if the Glock needs 3 safties (drop, trigger blade, firing pin block) to be complaint? Maybe that's for importation? My brain is fried.

None of that has anything to do with CMR940.

-Mike

They're figuring out where they went retarded and fixing it, apparently... first the BG380 upgrade, now this.

I don't think it's that, really. Price point is a big part of it. Even if Glock comes out with a single stack 9mm it will not be $375 or whatever the shield costs, it'll probably be $50-75 more than that easy. They won't compete with one another anyways because anyone that is brutally serious about size as a selling point is not going to be buying a shield anyways. The shield kinda stands alone in its
size class anyways, the LC9 is such a POS it's not even worth mentioning in the same sentence.

None of that has anything to do with CMR940.

-Mike

Yeah I agree. And yeah the LC9 is an abomination. It's funny because the SR series are such reliable handguns. Oh well. I have no issue concealing my SR9c as do many others. Some like M&P and that's fine. Do the 17rd mags in the MP9 fit in the compact model etc like Glock?

Yeah I agree. And yeah the LC9 is an abomination. It's funny because the SR series are such reliable handguns. Oh well. I have no issue concealing my SR9c as do many others. Some like M&P and that's fine. Do the 17rd mags in the MP9 fit in the compact model etc like Glock?

I believe they do, or at least I know if you do a grip chop on a full size, the compact mags will fit, so I suspect they're compatible in the other direction, too.

-Mike

The M&P9 and M&P9C share magazine bodies, yes

As do the SR9 and SR9C.

Don

p.s. I don't get everyone talking about this like a single stack 9mm with no safety is a big deal. Kahr came out with the P9 in like 1998.

The problem is as much as I like Kahrs products the trigger could benefit from a shorter reset.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom