• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

disabling a firearm?

Lie, tell him it's illegal to just destroy the guns, and they have to be transferred to someone with a license or he can go to jail. Then take ownership of them. I know ling is bad... But this is truly for the greater good.

Lie, tell him it's illegal to just destroy the guns, and they have to be transferred to someone with a license or he can go to jail. Then take ownership of them. I know ling is bad... But this is truly for the greater good.

That's clever and sounds quite plausible in this f'd up state!

How about a short rod in the barrel, with a little tack weld on the end? (something that can be removed once he get's his wits about him & gets an FID)?
I'll tack them for free, just to preserve them, it'd be a shame to destroy them.
Seriously

How about a short rod in the barrel, with a little tack weld on the end? (something that can be removed once he get's his wits about him & gets an FID)?
I'll tack them for free, just to preserve them, it'd be a shame to destroy them.
Seriously

IMO, doing that to a M1 would ruin it, or at least make it's value so far below what it otherwise would be. If he doesn't trust his brother around the guns, then tell him to get a safe and have him keep the keys with him at all times. Or give the second key/combo to a friend/relative that he CAN trust so that someone else also knows how to open it.

Put an orange cap on the ends, and a pack of air soft BB's beside them.

Convince him to get his FID.

Last edited:
I floated the idea of another one of his brothers getting their permit - we'll see where that goes. I'd like to see them stay in the family.

From the sounds of it, there may be may ways to disable them and the law is vague (surprise, surprise). Hopefully, it doesn't get to that point.

Thanks for the opinions, and to those who offered assistance. As usual, the NES karma is strong. -Much appreciated!

guys - i know - i felt a little nauseous asking the question.
I feel the same as you do. He asked me what needs to be done to disable them. I'd like to answer his question first, then tell him about the sin he's about to commit.

If his brother wasn't such a drunkard, I'm sure he'd have his permit....but....
:/

The only "clear answer" would be to dewat them in accordance with BATFE regs. Anything less than that could be subject to a PD/ADA prosecuting as illegal possession of a gun without a license.

Cheaper to get shall issue FID than the other path. BTW he respects his father??...clearly not as he is planning on destroying stuff that was near and dear to him.

Maybe I'm missing something here. Why FID, when LTC cost just as much also requires the same course, etc. I don't see anything where the person wouldn't qualify for a LTC. Why settle for tube-steak when you are paying for fillet mignon?

Tell him if he does not want them to shoot just remove the firing pins get a FID OR LTC but not to destroy good guns.

Removing a firing pin won't fly. They will claim it's an easy fix to make it operational and prosecute successfully in a MA court! See Rob's reply below.

Making it a non-gun (De-milling) under federal law will require that you do things to those guns that will bring tears to a grown man's eyes. State law just requires it be "non-operable", but if vague on how far away from "non-operable" is required. This is why stripped frames are clearly non-guns under MGL, and why he MSP or Boston crime lab needs to certify a gun as operational for prosecution. The real issue is how does one do it so obviously that any LE agency would recognize it, but not destroy the gun. When you consider the high profile arrests for rocket launcher tubes labeled "INERT" and for 37mm flare guns (mistaking them for 40mm grenade launchers), I would say this is an impossible task.

Agreed, that's why going for a LTC or get them out of MA is the only good solution.

Only reason I went with FID in this case is that if someone does not want to be licensed it is a lot easier to convince them. Can work on them later...after the guns are saved intact. I agree LTC is best approach in most cases.

I know they were his dad, and they have sentimental value. He is clearly not a firearms person, if you want to use that term. What is the point on keeping them damaged on purpose for the sake of having the item. He should entrust them to someone that can take care of them, shoot them with his friend on occasions. Eventually he might get a license and really appreciate them.

Here is the link to the page this is from. It appears that you have to have an armorer inspect it after the work is done and they give you a certificate saying it is inoperable. Making your Firearm Permanently Inoperable

Very useful information if you want to make sure you gun is rendered operable according to the standards of Australia and want an Aussie non-gun certificate.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the link to the page this is from. It appears that you have to have an armorer inspect it after the work is done and they give you a certificate saying it is inoperable. Making your Firearm Permanently Inoperable

Very useful information if you want to make sure you gun is rendered operable according to the standards of Australia and want an Aussie non-gun certificate.

The easy answer is to get a FID or give them to someone with a license.
The only way to now to deactivate a firearm in the eyes of the ATF is 3 torch cuts
to the receiver. What MA. would consider a non firearm is a guess. I would not to have to spend money/ time in a court room arguing that my dads pistol that is missing the firing pin is not a pistol.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL that's great. [rofl] I scrolled rite in to the body of the page and completely missed the header. Nice catch.

Back
Top Bottom