DI's @ Parris Island Under Investigation for Hazing & Abuse

...“The allegations, against approximately 15 drill instructors and affiliated leadership, identify potential violations of Marine Corps orders to include hazing, physical abuse, assault and failure of supervision,” officials with Training and Education Command, which oversee both recruit training depots, said in a Wednesday statement. “The investigations date back to November of 2015 and appear isolated to companies within the 3rd Recruit Training Battalion.”...

...“The DIs are going to be walking on eggshells, worried if they do this or that they’ll get in trouble, and we don’t want that,” a retired senior enlisted Marine with several tours in the service’s recruit training environment told Marine Corps Times earlier this month...

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/sto...nvestigation-hazing-abuse-boot-camp/86531764/

Hazing & abuse at Parris Island?, hell that's all that I can remember about boot camp.
Making the new Marines into wusses who can have their feeling hurt, then add in the Tranies. WTF we are so screwed on the battle field.

If Raheel Siddiqui's death was more than an unfortunate accident, then prosecute the responsible party(s), apply the appropriate punishment, and move on. No need to nuke the entire system and perpetuate generation snowflake. Besides, I thought all the snowflakes were shipped out to Hollywood.

Those DI's are responsible for training every recruit that they graduate and those that go on to fight on foreign soil. Leave them alone and let them make Marines!

When I did boot at San Diego in '83 we were part of the "new" kinder, gentler Marine Corps. No hitting, swearing, etc. They could still get you killed through neglect, but most of the stuff from the Vietnam era movies didn't happen any more. Can't imagine what these guys might have gotten away with.

When I did boot at San Diego in '83 we were part of the "new" kinder, gentler Marine Corps. No hitting, swearing, etc. They could still get you killed through neglect, but most of the stuff from the Vietnam era movies didn't happen any more. Can't imagine what these guys might have gotten away with.

When I did boot in "68" at P.I. we were part of the" get em trained in 1/2 the time needed to train Marines and send them to Nam to fill the holes" Marine Corps. Guess you younger guys now call that the "OLD CORPS". The Corps was not able to train replacements as fast as Marines were getting killed and wounded in Nam. To speed up the replacement process, they cut boot camp from 16 to 12 weeks and again from 12 to 8 weeks. This was very hard on DI's who took their jobs seriously. They now had 1/2 the time required to train Marines that they pretty much knew were headed to Nam. A very few DI's had breakdowns over it. Most DI's toughened up and made those 8 weeks as mentally tough as they could, because they didn't know what else to do . They were not trained for this cattle herding in and out of P.I.. I tell this story I'm about to tell only because I still have a living witness to it here in my hometown. Dick, my witness to this and I joined he Corps. on what was then called the buddy system. It insured that we would go through boot camp together. So, it's the first day of boot camp. We've been issued our initial issue and the DI's are running us to the barracks with full sea bags and it's a hot day in South Carolina. We get to the barracks and we're standing at attention. DI's are speed walking up and down the squad bay screaming and harassing while they scream. We're all sweating like stuffed pigs from the run with sea bags. One D.I. stops in front of me and says something about sweating. The next thing I remember, after regaining consciousness, is picking myself up from the floor and spitting blood that's dripping from my eye and seeing Dick laughing his ass off while at attention, across the squad bay. The DI comes back, get's in my face and says " that was for sweating without permission and when I come back, you'd better not still be bleeding without permission. The DI made his point. I paid attention through boot camp and ATI and Staging Bn. at Pendleton. Fast forward to my return home from Nam. I humped the M60 through some tough times and I'm here without a scratch. My DI's got my attention and probably saved my life. If I could meet them on the street today, I would shake their hands and say thank you to two of them anyway. The third, Staff Sgt. Martin returned to Nam and was killed in action. Staff Sgt. Martin was the DI who knocked my ass out that first day of boot camp. Today is the fourth of July and I'll take time to honor those DI's of P.I., who's job was to do what in half the required time should have been impossible. Ben Dis, The DI's at P.I. didn't "get away with anything". The worked themselves half to death along with us and sometimes employed unofficial methods to get the job done, but be sure of this. They got the job done and done well and done in half the time required. My hat's off to the DI's of P.I.. Think I'll head over to Dick's house so we can both toast the DI's from P.I.. We're grateful to be able to do this.

Last edited:
My cousin did Paris Island in the late 70s - early post Vietnam era. He tells me he was screamed at when he was in line for the shower, everyone with their underwear at their ankles, "what are you laughing at recruit?!!!" He shouted back "Sir, private Smith shit in his pants sir!!!". The DI took private Smith (or whatever his name was) away and he was never seen again.

My cousin did Paris Island in the late 70s - early post Vietnam era. He tells me he was screamed at when he was in line for the shower, everyone with their underwear at their ankles, "what are you laughing at recruit?!!!" He shouted back "Sir, private Smith shit in his pants sir!!!". The DI took private Smith (or whatever his name was) away and he was never seen again.

I'm sure they put private Smith in a different platoon for his own good. Hard to type this while LMAO.

We had a guy named Pvt. Buney, the DI's would call him Pvt. Bunny. Every single day he would get called up to the quarter deck. The DI's would demand to know what sound a bunny rabbit makes? They had him hopping around the squad bay attempting to make rabbit noises. Since they weren't convinced he was a bunny he would have to pay with PT until exhaustion.

Did P.I. in June of 66 . . . Went in on the buddy program with my friend from H.S. . . . 4 weeks in he was found asleep inside a wall locker outside the barracks( while"walking guard duty") . . They found a couple of butts on the ground and, off to "motavation platoon ". . . . Moving one pile of dirt to the other for two weeks . . . . With a soup spoon or sand bags !
You got to love those D I 's in retrospect ! ! ! ! [cheers] a lot of guys are alive and bitchin' because they were taught to "deal wit it" , on push on .

Further pussification of the military brought by this administration. It's a shame that the Marine Corps, the last branch not quite yet wearing panties, is being degraded in such a manner. I can just imagine that our adversaries in particular along with our allies are laughing their asses off. Time out cards next?

The article is missing every fact other than the recruit fell to his death. I can't pass judgement on this one until more is released.

I went through in 08. Talking to some 1980s guys it seems to have rebounded a bit. The "official regulations" as I understand them are no swearing, no hitting (except for self defense). There was never any abuse from my DIs, but people were physically corrected. Swearing rule may as well not have been a rule. That said, IMO, there hands were still tied more than they should have been. There were some people who knew the rules and would have benefited from a beat down. A punch, choke, slap, shove, etc isn't always enough. But that stuff "never" happened. DIs are very creative though. You can be just as miserable "playing games" as you can being beaten down. For an 18 year old 1 week out of highschool, the culture shock was intense.

As far as physical challenge goes, infantry school was much worse. Less sleep, more to learn, more autonomy required, much more physically intensive. Fewer games though.

Mike

I went through in 08. Talking to some 1980s guys it seems to have rebounded a bit. The "official regulations" as I understand them are no swearing, no hitting (except for self defense). There was never any abuse from my DIs, but people were physically corrected. Swearing rule may as well not have been a rule. That said, IMO, there hands were still tied more than they should have been. There were some people who knew the rules and would have benefited from a beat down. A punch, choke, slap, shove, etc isn't always enough. But that stuff "never" happened. DIs are very creative though. You can be just as miserable "playing games" as you can being beaten down. For an 18 year old 1 week out of highschool, the culture shock was intense.

As far as physical challenge goes, infantry school was much worse. Less sleep, more to learn, more autonomy required, much more physically intensive. Fewer games though.

Mike

Is Infantry school the same as what use to be called I.T.R., or infantry training regiment? Is it still at Camp Geiger ?

They now have the school of infantry at camp geiger (and pendleton for the hollywood Marines). Within SOI, apart from the various advanced courses, there is MCT or Marine Combat Training for all the POGS prior to their MOS school, and ITB or infantry training battalion for the real Marines.

MCT is watered down and is 5 weeks long, ITB is 10 weeks. They have now instituted higher minimum fitness standards to be eligible to go to ITB or other combat arms MOSs

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

Is Infantry school the same as what use to be called I.T.R., or infantry training regiment? Is it still at Camp Geiger ?

When I was in it was called ITS, infantry training school. Was a troop handler for ITS stationed at Geiger. We would march the platoons to chow, take them out to the ranges, etc. In general helped with the MOS training. Shared the barracks with the 8th Marines. Lost good friends from the Beirut bombing, many of my NCO club drinking buddies didn't come home. The USA cut bait in Beirut, why I got out. [sad2]

My son is a week into DI school. His name came up to be a DI (San Diego) so now he has 3 years of it ahead of him. It isn't voluntary. He's losing flight pay which upset him a bit.

Back
Top Bottom