1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dirtbag Steals Roommates $10M Winning Lottery Ticket

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Zappa, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

2. RHJJ

RHJJ NES Member

loose lips sink ships.

3. Zappa

This^

BTW, nobody has yet come forward to claim the $1.6B Mega Millions prize won last October in SC.

4. Hetzer

Hetzer NES Member

What a douchebag, his roommate wins what he thought was a $10,000 scratch ticket so he buys one, scratches it and swaps his losing ticket with his roommates winning ticket while he slept.

Then of course both idiots who can't figure out a lottery ticket find out it's a $10,000,000 winning ticket.

5. GaryO

GaryO NES Member

When will these idiots realize that we are being watched all the time.

6. enbloc

enbloc NES Life Member NES Member

Good news is a shore ride to prison in Vacaville....

7. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

I have to say: Vacaville is such a cow town.

new guy likes this.
  8. BUMPA01603

BUMPA01603 NES Member

He should have signed the ticket, taken photos of it, and kept his mouth shut !

9. slap shot

slap shot NES Member

[​IMG]

10. robjax

robjax NES Member

yeah, I wouldn't tell anyone until I either cashed it or set up everything with lawyers and accountants.

Roadglide and RHJJ like this.
  11. slap shot

slap shot NES Member

I don't want to jump to conclusions based on zero evidence, but since that's what we do here, i'm gonna say alcohol/smack/meth/fentanyl was involved. Guy blows $30 on a scratch ticket cuz he needs money for holidays, doesn't realize it's mils not thous, then roommate thinks he can pull a fast one. A lot of bad judgment and retardedness.

12. Palladin

Palladin NES Member

what's the over/under on being here legally?

13. Choctaw

Choctaw NES Life Member NES Member

From the article;

"In California, grand theft can be classified either as a misdemeanor or a felony, which determines whether a defendant can be sentenced to up to one year in county jail or up to three years in state prison; it wasn’t clear which type of charge Saosongyang would face."

I would have thought the penalty for the theft of ten million dollars would be a little more than possibly a misdemeanor. Maybe since it is California they will charge him based on the $30 cost of the ticket, lol.

14. MAGG

MAGG NES Member

\is there a certain time allowed to claim it? 1.6 billion. jeezus

15. Mesatchornug

Mesatchornug NES Member

FIFY

Roadglide and robjax like this.
  16. robjax

robjax NES Member

lol. true. but at some point it would need to be cashed in so if I won I would make a plan. Of course I would only carry photo copies around as the real ticket would be on my gun safe.. Just until I got all the legal affairs out of the way. 10M I would just cash in myself. 1.6B I would get some help...

17. Evadd

Evadd NES Member

Varies by state - I think usually 6m to 1y.

MAGG likes this.
  18. Mesatchornug

Mesatchornug NES Member

fair.

I suppose I just wasn't thinking of lawyer/accountant/lottery commission as "anyone." Hopefully my lawyer uncle, and accountant father will forgive me ;)

robjax likes this.
  19. Zappa

This^

In South Carolina it's six months, so they have until April 23rd.
    The winner would be wise to hire good accountants and tax advisors, and claim the winnings in the name of a trust so as to remain anonymous.
    That may in fact be the very reason the winner has not yet come forward, it takes time to set up a trust and get all your ducks in a row.
    Seeing as a trust is long term thing, would it be better for them to collect the full $1.6b by taking $80 million a year for 20 years, or the lump sum of just under a billion now?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 2:56 AM
  20. Roadglide

Roadglide NES Member

One time my girlfriend at the time and I were walking into a convenient store when she found twenty bucks on the ground outside the store. She gleefully picked it up and I told her to shut up and put it in her pocket. Say nothing. She walks up to the counter and announces to the cashier she found twenty bucks outside and wants to buy a 20 scratchy. I wanted to slap her into next week.

21. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie

All the dirtbag has to do is file suit claiming he and his roomie had an agreement to split the winnings and he WILL get a settlement.

There was the case is Boston where a woman called in a large purchase of many tickets to a convenience store. One was a multi-million dollar winner. The store operator claimed the woman called him to say she did not want the one ticket that won prior to the drawing but would take the rest so he had purchased it for himself. The idiot was not even smart enough to say she canceled the entire batch of tickets. He lost his lottery license, sued the rightful winner, received a confidential settlement to drop the suit, and laughed all the way to the bank instead of to jail.
    If she had won, there is little doubt the store op would have someone who reported the lost $20, and thus claimed the ticket was therefore his. Remember, you have to turn in any found property valued in excess of $3 to the police and let them hold it for a period of time specified in MGL to let the rightful owner claim it.

22. mass

mass NES Member

I've been busy.

23. mibro

mibro NES Member

So with an after-tax cash payout of $626 million and say, 1% interest in a money market account they've given up about $1.6 million since October.

Greg likes this.
  24. JohnZ

JohnZ

Not sure what I would do but I would never store something worth 1.6B in a gun safe.

25. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 11:42 AM
  26. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias

Except you can't trust the gov, so you might as well take all the money today.

27. Pete85

Pete85

With how much debt many states are in and the situation in Illinois where they're handing out IOUs to lottery winners, I'd be taking that as a lump sum. After taxes, that would be between $600,000,000 and $700,00,000. I think I could live a few years off of that!

28. robjax

robjax NES Member

I have very limited amounts of ammo in my gun safe. I can't think of a "safer" place....lol. It wouldn't be there very long. I suppose I could rent a safe deposit box at a bank. But then I am a slave to their hours....

29. LoginName

LoginName NES Member

Probably some of the wisest advice you'll ever get for free (well worth reading).

Austrian's Semi-Annual "Guide For Recent Lottery Winners (Or Deluded Hopefuls)" Post - AR15.COM

I knew the guy... Nick Havan, I was in that store all the time (it was in Watertown).
    He was Egyptian, but you'd never know it by looking at him, did a fair amount of business from people
    paying their utility bills and wiring money to families overseas.
    Odd thing is he would still play the lottery himself, but he had to walk over to the 7-11 a short distance away to
    do it.

"Treasurer declares widow $21 million lottery winner

BOSTON -- The state treasurer yesterday dismissed a lottery agent’s claim to a $21 million prize as “outrageous” and said the money would go to a 72-year-old widow who has been playing the same numbers for years.

But Treasurer Joe Malone said the decision to award the prize to Paraskeve Kantges will face a formal hearing.

“I think that’s just wonderful,” said Kantges, a raven-haired church volunteer who summed up the store owner’s tale as “Greek mythology.”

Kantges said she has played the same lucky number for years at the Watertown store and on Wednesday displayed lottery receipts dating back to 1991 to prove it. Her number -- 4-6-10-16-19-25 -- signifies the time she was born at 4 a.m., on the sixth day of the week, on Friday, Oct. 16, 1925.

Malone had harsh words for merchant Nick Havan, who he said was “lying shamelessly and trying to manipulate the system to his benefit.”

Havan, who sold the winning Mass Millions lottery ticket at his Coolidge Provisions shop on Feb. 5, brought the winning ticket Tuesday to lottery headquarters in Braintree to claim the jackpot. He has denied wrongdoing.

But Kantges, also of Watertown, had already filed a claim insisting she bought the winning ticket by phone because it was too snowy to leave her home."

Treasurer declares widow $21 million lottery winner

30. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie

Is my understanding that he was able to extract part of the prize from the winner by threatening to tie up the ticket in litigation for years correct?