Dirt bag with Polymer80 charged possession of a firearm with a defaced serial number!!

"HOLYOKE – A woman was arrested on multiple gun charges after a shooting that occurred less than a block from the spot where a man was killed late last week.

Leshmarie Marin-Viera, 20, of Holyoke, was arrested at about 9:30 p.m., Tuesday, and charged with possession of a firearm without a license to carry, possession or carrying a loaded firearm, possession of ammunition without an FID card and possession of a firearm with a defaced serial number, Police Lt. James Albert said."

Holyoke police arrest 2, confiscate unlawful gun after shooting

This could set a pretty bad legal precedent, if it goes through the courts. Looks like they went after the P80 by charges for 'defaced serial number' even thought it never had a serial number. [banghead]

Minority POS, charges will be dropped next week. This will never see court

More and more of these p80 pistols are popping up on the streets though, it's only a matter of time before this state goes after them. Dirt bags are figuring out pretty quick they can make their own Glock with a cordless drill and parts from ebay.

I think this 80% thing is not going to last much longer, especially here in MA. I notice the 80% vendors already list a couple of states that they will not ship to. MA will be on that list soon.

Too bad, building your own firearm is a lot of fun. But as usual it just takes a few dirt bags to screw it up for law abiding citizens. Actually I think I will order a poly80 now while I still can.

"Officers Will Delgado, Jared Hamel and another member of the task force “exhibited tremendous restraint” considering the couple were suspected of having a gun"

so with no proof of having a firearm and just a suspicion it is considered "tremendous restraint" to not shoot someone who is not threatening you?

I think this 80% thing is not going to last much longer, especially here in MA. I notice the 80% vendors already list a couple of states that they will not ship to. MA will be on that list soon.

Too bad, building your own firearm is a lot of fun. But as usual it just takes a few dirt bags to screw it up for law abiding citizens. Actually I think I will order a poly80 now while I still can.

I may or may not have gone deep in these in late 18 or early 19 because of this. Do I need more Glocks? No. Do you screw up when you tell me I CAN'T have something that makes no sense to ban? Yes!

The ultimate issue is that "voters" want to be safe and don't care about anyone's rights. Politicians just wanna be elected, so they'll pass stupid legislation that won't help anyone under the guise of "helping" "voters" so they can get re-elected.

Sad aside - I gave Mayor O'Connell a big congrats hug at the School Board meeting last night. I love her in the corner office but miss her terribly in the State House.

Are these people getting someone to straw-buy ammo for them?

P80 for the gun. P90x for the pew-pew. It's ammo you can make. You buy the P90x system. Then you buy the P90x kit. You melt the copper and lead in your microwave and make gunpowder with the little baggie of stuff plus a cap-full of household ammonia. A bunson burner and an old thermometer and you've got primers. It's a bit time consuming but has a very "I did this" feel to it. ;)

I may or may not have gone deep in these in late 18 or early 19 because of this. Do I need more Glocks? No. Do you screw up when you tell me I CAN'T have something that makes no sense to ban? Yes!

The ultimate issue is that "voters" want to be safe and don't care about anyone's rights. Politicians just wanna be elected, so they'll pass stupid legislation that won't help anyone under the guise of "helping" "voters" so they can get re-elected.

Sad aside - I gave Mayor O'Connell a big congrats hug at the School Board meeting last night. I love her in the corner office but miss her terribly in the State House.

Do you screw up when you tell me I CAN'T have something

Exactly.

If I hadn't been told that "assault weapons" and "high capacity magazines" were going to be banned in CT, I wouldn't have bought my first ARs or my first Glock. I was shooting 1911's and revolvers and had a couple of .22 rifles at the time.

I have multiple AR15's and Glocks now. Four of those AR's, (three of which are in CT), have manufacturer's marks, the rest don't. I've got spare lowers, a couple of Poly80's and the parts and tools to turn them into firearms when I please. BFYTW.

That's cute, but they will actually have to change the laws to do that. Bear in mind, if the legislature opens that box, things are going to hit MA gun owners a lot worse than just a ban on blocks of metal or whatever.

-Mike

Short of them showing the unlikely possibility that there is a major criminal ring manufacturing/distributing home built firearms I see no change particularly at the fed level

mAss is subject to retardedness at all levels any time......

Shitbags/PP's purchasing firearm parts and ammunition was/is illegal independent of the p80 question

We all know that, but once the media and libtards get a hold of this shit they will be all over it with their "get these scary ghost guns off the street" rhetoric.

P80 for the gun. P90x for the pew-pew. It's ammo you can make. You buy the P90x system. Then you buy the P90x kit. You melt the copper and lead in your microwave and make gunpowder with the little baggie of stuff plus a cap-full of household ammonia. A bunson burner and an old thermometer and you've got primers. It's a bit time consuming but has a very "I did this" feel to it. ;)

My cousin's wife had tried the P90x system, but all it did was make her lean and fit from all the exhaustion of trying to figure it out. She was ultimately unsuccessful at making her own guns or ammo from it.

Thanks for the primer tip. I had been grinding down sparklers and incense sticks, but this sounds way better.

Short of them showing the unlikely possibility that there is a major criminal ring manufacturing/distributing home built firearms I see no change particularly at the fed level

mAss is subject to retardedness at all levels any time......

Shitbags/PP's purchasing firearm parts and ammunition was/is illegal independent of the p80 question

Not for nothing, there probably are at least some minor manufacturing rings involved. The likelihood that a 20 year old girl from Holyoke possesses mechanical skills that extend beyond operating a cellphone and an x-box is slim. If it can be shown that the firearms are being completed and assembled by other than the perp. and the ammo is coming from another state I have no doubt that there would be an attempt to hype it for change at the Fed. level.

Got me thinking. For us law abiding folks in MA, if you build a P80 with no serial number, what are you supposed to put on the registration for MA? Do you have to get it serialized first somehow?

Got me thinking. For us law abiding folks in MA, if you build a P80 with no serial number, what are you supposed to put on the registration for MA? Do you have to get it serialized first somehow?
I don't live in MA but the prevailing wisdom has been, "If you're registering a P80, you're doing it wrong."

IANAL, YMMV, etc., etc.

Pretty sure the GCA requires a serial number even if you are the manufacturer, but I think you have till transfer to apply it.

Ma law clearly requires you to register the firearm, but I believe you can leave the SN blank as not all guns have serial numbers- as an example, there is a 1920ish shotgun in the family that has no SN, it was never made with one, when it was transferred it was left blank.

It can be laser engraved very easily. I actually had one done from The Arms Dealer (NES member) before I built out the frame. Took all of 5 minutes. P80 plastic is weak though, so make sure if going laser that the person has experience with it. Can easily warp/destroy the polymer under the engraving plate.

And before someone tells me I defeated the purpose of P80's, I'll just put it out there that I just wanted a G19 compatible pistol without paying absurd MA price gouging on Glocks, and I wanted something to carry daily with no concerns. Yes, I could always run with the "I just built this yesterday", but I have no interest in testing waters.

You can pick your own number and just register it with that number.

I don't live in MA but the prevailing wisdom has been, "If you're registering a P80, you're doing it wrong."

IANAL, YMMV, etc., etc.

Or list it. The bottom line is EOPS couldn't tell you with any degree of certainty what you do and do not own. The likelihood of getting jammed up and then they claim you didn't register it and you produce paperwork is FAR more likely than Das Stormtroopers coming for your gun collection with a list of what you have.

I'm certain that my question only pertains to if you're going to sell it, but don't you also have to put your name, city, state, model and caliber if you're building it yourself? That little plate doesn't have much room on it.

Or list it. The bottom line is EOPS couldn't tell you with any degree of certainty what you do and do not own. The likelihood of getting jammed up and then they claim you didn't register it and you produce paperwork is FAR more likely than Das Stormtroopers coming for your gun collection with a list of what you have.

I generally agree, but what if you had to use it in self defense? This state already has the odds stacked against you even if you were legitimately defending yourself. I don't want to give them a freebie.

I'm certain that my question only pertains to if you're going to sell it, but don't you also have to put your name, city, state, model and caliber if you're building it yourself? That little plate doesn't have much room on it.

You're mixing up the requirements for trust engraving with serializing a frame.

The fed rule for SN for home builds is none required, if you later dispose of the firearm (sell etc) they SUGGEST you put all the info on the gun, Name location sn etc.

ATF-Response-01

I then followed up with this question:

ATF-question-02

and received this response:

When I lived in MA I built a .308 AR from an 80% lower. Yes I eFA10'd it. Where it asks for the serial number you can put none, not applicable, etc.

Back
Top Bottom