• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dirt bag with Polymer80 charged possession of a firearm with a defaced serial number!!

Do you screw up when you tell me I CAN'T have something

Exactly.

If I hadn't been told that "assault weapons" and "high capacity magazines" were going to be banned in CT, I wouldn't have bought my first ARs or my first Glock. I was shooting 1911's and revolvers and had a couple of .22 rifles at the time.

I have multiple AR15's and Glocks now. Four of those AR's, (three of which are in CT), have manufacturer's marks, the rest don't. I've got spare lowers, a couple of Poly80's and the parts and tools to turn them into firearms when I please. BFYTW.
Add me to this club.....:)

Pretty sure the GCA requires a serial number even if you are the manufacturer, but I think you have till transfer to apply it.

Ma law clearly requires you to register the firearm, but I believe you can leave the SN blank as not all guns have serial numbers- as an example, there is a 1920ish shotgun in the family that has no SN, it was never made with one, when it was transferred it was left blank.
I was always under the assumption that you needed a manufacturer FFL to serialize and transfer 80% guns. My bad.

You do if you manufacture from the 80% with the INTENT to sell it. If your intent is to build it for yourself, and at some point end up selling/willing it, then you don't. At least that's my understanding, IANAL
I was always under the assumption that you needed a manufacturer FFL to serialize and transfer 80% guns. My bad.

I believe the statute says something about being in the busniess of manufacturing, you can build a p80, and sell it (serialized), but you can't build 80 p80's.

Where the line is is a grey area.

"Officers Will Delgado, Jared Hamel and another member of the task force “exhibited tremendous restraint” considering the couple were suspected of having a gun"

so with no proof of having a firearm and just a suspicion it is considered "tremendous restraint" to not shoot someone who is not threatening you?

she probably looked like a dog and kept barking, so officers were fighting their reflexes not shoot her in the face ...

I believe the statute says something about being in the busniess of manufacturing, you can build a p80, and sell it (serialized), but you can't build 80 p80's.

Where the line is is a grey area.

So, what you're saying is that I can't build a P80 entirely for myself, then decide I don't like it and sell it to someone. Then, repeat that same sequence of events 79 more times, each time being like "well I thought it was going to be for myself, but then after I did it, I changed my mind again so I sold it".

Yeah. I wouldn't believe me either.

I would imagine the line is above 1, and less than 80.

[/QUOTE]
That's cute, but they will actually have to change the laws to do that. Bear in mind, if the legislature opens that box, things are going to hit MA gun owners a lot worse than just a ban on blocks of metal or whatever.

-Mike

you hit the nail on the head with this statement
the Anti’s are just twitching like a bitch in heat to get their foot in this door

squirrel away all that is possible, then we will all get on the leaky boat I have....

Pretty sure the GCA requires a serial number even if you are the manufacturer, but I think you have till transfer to apply it.

Ma law clearly requires you to register the firearm, but I believe you can leave the SN blank as not all guns have serial numbers- as an example, there is a 1920ish shotgun in the family that has no SN, it was never made with one, when it was transferred it was left blank.

Manufacturers in the US weren't legally required to mark their firearms with serial numbers until after the passing of GCA68.
Most reputable gunmakers did, but it wasn't mandated by law. I have a few old shotguns from relatively unknown makers that don't have serial numbers, one is marked Riverside Arms of Chicopee Mass.

Not for nothing, there probably are at least some minor manufacturing rings involved. The likelihood that a 20 year old girl from Holyoke possesses mechanical skills that extend beyond operating a cellphone and an x-box is slim. If it can be shown that the firearms are being completed and assembled by other than the perp. and the ammo is coming from another state I have no doubt that there would be an attempt to hype it for change at the Fed. level.
i think you nailed it. perps in the thread are unlikely, as you said, to have enough brain cells to build one.

but mfg. rings, or multiples thereof,, probably(or more likely) (or definately) do exist

So, what you're saying is that I can't build a P80 entirely for myself, then decide I don't like it and sell it to someone. Then, repeat that same sequence of events 79 more times, each time being like "well I thought it was going to be for myself, but then after I did it, I changed my mind again so I sold it".

Yeah. I wouldn't believe me either.

I would imagine the line is above 1, and less than 80.

That's also my understanding. I'm pretty sure I'm on solid legal ground selling one or two of my lowers that started life as an 80%; but after that I think I run the risk of being charged with manufacturing firearms. There's the whole "intent" thing, which is always difficult to prove if I haven't put anything in writing or spoken to anyone. You can't prove what I'm thinking if I don't discuss it.

However, when you complete say 10 lowers and sell them - you're pretty clearly intending to do so.

In my case, I'm simply not selling any lowers I've completed. 1 - because I don't need the possible complications and 2 - because I'm not selling them, they're mine and I'm keeping them to shoot.

The biggest gun salesman ever was named Obama. LOL

I literally signed up for gun safety classes the day after he was elected (not even sworn in yet).

Bought my first gun that year, and told my family I was building an AR before Obama or someone else banned them (or at least tried). They thought I was nuts. Nope. Just keep my finger on the pulse of reality. Every time the gun grabbers propose bans or other restrictions I get to say "I told you so." I wish I didn't have to.

Back
Top Bottom