• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Direct Control?

MachineHead

NES Member
I thought I'd post this for the well-versed NES crew. Would this be considered "under direct control?"

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1468947715.256454.jpg

I put my finger on the grip just in case it's not considered "direct control."

If you got pulled over and both hands were on the wheel, I would venture not. Of course, location and circumstances will dictate.

Last edited:
I don't think this question has ever been reliably answered- EG, whether or not a loaded handgun within arms reach or in the center console is direct control or
not.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody knows! Maybe! Maybe not!

There's no definition of "direct control" in the statute, and as far as I know there is no case law for whether in that little door pocket thing counts as "direct control".

So, like so many things in this state, whether you choose to carry in that manner depends on your level of risk tolerance given the uncertainty.

Nobody knows! Maybe! Maybe not!

There's no definition of "direct control" in the statute, and as far as I know there is no case law for whether in that little door pocket thing counts as "direct control".

So, like so many things in this state, whether you choose to carry in that manner depends on your level of risk tolerance given the uncertainty.

There's that and theres the douche cop issue vs not. Non douche cops wouldn't give two shits about something like that, but you get a douche or an anti, they may try to make a "problem" out of it.

-Mike

I carry a fag bag as they are called,many times I have it right next to me in the car.I consider it under my direct control.

I don't think this question has ever been reliably answered- EG, whether or not a loaded handgun within arms reach or in the center console is direct control or
not.....

This!

PLUS, is any unlicensed person sitting in the passenger seat? If so, guess what? No cop is going to buy "direct control" in that case.

Thanks for the answers, guys. I was on my was to the range and I was thinking about this. Reslistically, there's nothing in between the door and myself other than maybe 2 inches of air and I have no passengers. It depends on whoever pulls you over, I guess.

It's also interesting to see how vague the MGLs are wrt something that's considered a "privilege" in MA versus an actual right.

I carry a fag bag as they are called,many times I have it right next to me in the car.I consider it under my direct control.

Fag Bag = Bowling Bag ?

BowlingBag-10-3.jpg

This!

PLUS, is any unlicensed person sitting in the passenger seat? If so, guess what? No cop is going to buy "direct control" in that case.
I think the photo shows the gun on the door side, not next to the passenger.

The answer to this question is hinted at, but not definitively answered, in Commonwealth v. Reyes.

I thought I'd post this for the well-versed NES crew. Would this be considered "under direct control?"

View attachment 172459

I put my finger on the grip just in case it's not considered "direct control."

Is that direct control? Maybe- if the cop thinks so. My version of direct control is a holster on my person. That way there's no discussion. Anything else is taking a chance. I don't like maybes....

Is that direct control? Maybe- if the cop thinks so. My version of direct control is a holster on my person. That way there's no discussion. Anything else is taking a chance. I don't like maybes....

I agree with this. In addition a panic stop and the gun is WHERE?

Comm v Patterson (2011) has this to say about "direct control":

"Control" is not defined by the statute, and we have found no case construing the term in this context. Ordinary rules of statutory construction lead to the conclusion that "control" is not synonymous with the term "carried." Otherwise, there would have been no need for the Legislature to have used both terms in the statute. […]

While a gun for purposes of the firearm storage statute need not necessarily be in the actual physical possession of its owner or authorized user in order to be under that individual's "control," it must be readily at hand. The statute is part of an over-all scheme of gun control legislation designed "to prevent the temptation and the ability to use firearms to inflict harm, be it negligently or intentionally, on another or on oneself." […] The firearm storage statute itself "is illustrative of the societal concern with weapons reaching the hands of unauthorized users." […] Understanding that the purpose of the statute is to guard against the use of firearms by unauthorized, incompetent, or irresponsible persons, it becomes clear that a firearm is within the "control" of its owner or authorized user only when that person has it sufficiently nearby to prevent immediately its unauthorized use. […]

Of course, the determination whether a particular firearm is under an individual's control will depend on the facts and circumstances of any given case. Among other things, consideration should be given to the firearm's location, its proximity to its authorized user or owner, and that person's ability to reach immediately the gun. It is clear to us that the Commonwealth satisfied its burden of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that the gun was not under the defendant's control in this case. The gun was stored in the pocket of a jacket hanging in an upstairs closet. The defendant was downstairs. The gun was out of its holster, which was lying on the kitchen floor. Children were present, including a young boy who at times was closer to the gun than was the defendant. The jury had more than sufficient evidence upon which to find that the gun was not within the defendant's control.

I think keeping the gun in the door is legal while you're in the driver's seat, but i'd rather not have to argue with a cop over it during a traffic stop. Also, you'd have to lock it up or take it with you when you leave the car. I'd to carry the gun on my body in a holster.

When you move away from handguns, it's even more muddied.

A pre-FID age minor, hunting with a properly licensed individual on the older person's license, has to be under their control. But, AFAIK, that does not mean that you have to be within arm's reach of Junior, which would often be impractical in the field.

In the final ananlysis:

1) Use your best judgement (on your person is best)
2) Don't get stopped.

Back
Top Bottom