• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dillon XL 650 for Christmas

Sens

NES Member
My son just got me a Dillon XL 650. A very pleasant surprise.[smile]
What will I need to set it up for 45acp and 223 ?
I'm a virgin at reloading so any tips from you experienced reloaders will be greatly appreciated.
I am going to start assembling tomorrow.

If you've never reloaded before buy the Lyman Reloading Handbook and read that first to get an understanding of what you are getting into.

You can also order the Dillon reloading tape that will help with set up.

Find a local guy who has a 650 and get him to walk you through set up and initial reloading. You can get into a lot of trouble if you don't know what you are doing.

My preferred accessories are the Strong mount, case feeder and the Roller handle
Good luck!

Respectfully,

jkelly

Great press. I load both .45 and .223 on mine. Currently going to get set up for some .30 carbine. As stated above you can get in trouble quickly with it. I have a copy of the Dillon video if you want it PM your address and I will get out tomorrow. Once you get it set up you can hum. I was doing 5-600 rds an hour and didnt feel like I was rushing.

Order a casefeeder if it didn't come with one. It brings out the full potential of the machine.

Make sure you really take some time to mount it well. Since it seats the primer on the upstroke, you don't want any play there when you push up to seat them. A 650 that isn't mounted tight won't seat primers right.

I would start out with .45 and conquer .223 after.

If there are Dillon things you want, I'd order them soon. I think BrianEnos posted that the prices are going up a little after New Years.

My son just got me a Dillon XL 650. A very pleasant surprise.[smile]
What will I need to set it up for 45acp and 223 ?
I'm a virgin at reloading so any tips from you experienced reloaders will be greatly appreciated.
I am going to start assembling tomorrow.

If you look you will find some videos from a member using a Dillon. Well done and helpful to me when I started. Look near the top of this (reloading) page. Always doulde triple check and ask lots of questions. Safety is #1. Jamz did them.

Take anything that GTOShootr post as gospel - and don't hesitate to pm me. I've loaded a few rounds on the 650.

Back
Top Bottom