• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dillon Super Swager

I have been thinking of getting one of them... I just got 750 LC91 cases, and taking the crimp out with my Lyman case trimmer is time consuming.

Adam

Nickle said:
Adam, I've used the RCBS, and the older Lyman for the Spartan press (a LOT).

This is a far better tool. Cost was $82 plus shipping. I consider it money well spent. But then, I do a LOT of military brass.

http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=15&min=0&dyn=1&

Why is it a far better tool? I just swaged about 350 pieces with the RCBS. Not difficult, just set it up and pull the handle. Is there something that makes the Dillon better?

The RCBS primer pocket swaging kit is (a) simple, (b) inexpensive, and (c) consistent. Unlike some designs, it does not stress the case rim and, if properly set up (there is an earlier thread on this), also does not stress the case web. So, putting aside patent issues, I suppose someone could come up with something as good as it is, but I doubt anyone could come up with something that is better.

Swager

The RCBS can not be used on Dillon presses so the other best option is the Dillon unit for those with progressive presses.[grin]

rscalzo said:
The RCBS can not be used on Dillon presses so the other best option is the Dillon unit for those with progressive presses.[grin]

Ummm, the Dillon Super Swager cannot be used on Dillon presses either. It's an entirely seperate unit. However, it is indeed the way to go when you've got LOTS of brass to do.

Don

USSR said:
Ummm, the Dillon Super Swager cannot be used on Dillon presses either. It's an entirely seperate unit. However, it is indeed the way to go when you've got LOTS of brass to do.

Don

Maybe he meant the Dillon motorized case trimmer, but can't you screw that into any press? Or, the 1050, which has a "swaging station"?

GTOShootr said:
Maybe he meant the Dillon motorized case trimmer, but can't you screw that into any press? Or, the 1050, which has a "swaging station"?
The Dillon swager is a stand alone unit. The 1050 does have a "decrimping station" The Super Swager is supposed to be very fast for removing the primer crimp in military brass.

My experience with the RCBS unit is that it doesn't work well with the RockChucker, due to Ram diameter of the press. At least mine didn't work well with my press. The "cup" that removes the cases from the swager hangs up on the ram on mine.

The Dillon swager is faster and can also be left set up (though the RCBS sets up quickly enough). This is better, if you do a LOT of brass, as I do.

Back
Top Bottom