Dillon primer pickup tubes

Powder was so scarce the sight of all of the stickers that said "out" made me cry. Didn't see primers. They had some Hornady bulk 9mm bullets, maybe 5 bulk boxes. They had a scarce variety of bullets but in small quantities. Got some Barnes TTSX 168gr .308 though, so that was cool. Other than that, picking were slim.

You should have tried the original Dillon primer pick up tubes. The tubes were clear plastic and the pick up was a brass tube inserted into one end. The brass part was formed so that it would retain each primer as it was forced down over it, just like the plastic parts that Dillon now uses. The brass pick up was much thinner than the newer plastic version which made it much easier to pick up individual primers.

My small primer pick up tube (brass pick up) wore out a long time ago and I miss it. Nothing I have used has ever given me the feel and precision of these old Dillon tubes. I wish Dillon would consider reviving these old pick up tubes.

You want one of these:

Dillon-Web-Cat_0027_m.jpg

I have an older one. There are some small 'adjustments' I did - mainly demurring the drop areas etc. it is very fast, but can have some issues still with flipped primers - most small pistol/rifle.

I think they stopped making it for quite some time - mine has also been fixed a couple times - it is good to know they are making them again, I would buy again.

The reviews on that are somewhat mixed, can you comment on your experience with it?

I have the new version of it. I have loaded around 5k rounds since I got it and it works great. CCI and Federal primers are flawless, sometimes with Winchester or Fiocchi I will get a stuck primer at the top of the tube. A quick tap of the bottom of the primer tube on my workbench and the errant primer will fall down the tube. Works equally well with small and large primers.

I HIGHLY recommend it as picking up primers with a feed tube is super tedious. I like to spend money, but can't see any reason to by anything more expensive honestly.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom