Dillon primer drop issue

Setting up a new to me 550. Got everything set except that the primers do not drop out of the magazine to feed into the cup. I can put pressure on the follower and can feel the primers pop out into the cup. What am I missing? All my simple mind can come up with is a problem/constriction with the internal magazine tube. I'm going to order a new one. Any comments?

Where are you located? You can borrow one of mine if you need to. Do you have the right primer magazine in?

This! When I first got my 550b it came setup for large primers. It took me a while until I figured out why it wasn't dropping primers or dropping them upside down.

I think I have the right piece in there. I'm using small primers so if I had the wrong one I would think they would just pour out. Thanks for the offer but I'm in no real hurry. I'm more interested in figuring out what's wrong.

I don't know if its the same, but my Square deal B has a small adjustment screw level with the tip of the primer magazine

also the magazine tip has a notch that must be lined up

I line up the notch and press down. It seems to lock into place. I haven't had it apart so I don't know exactly what's in there but the primers just don't drop and feed.

get a flashlight and get your head down there. If you look at the right angle you can see the slide go into the primer tube holder. You'll see the spring metal pop out of the back side as the plastic peg is pushed out allowing one primer to fall into the cup. Make sure the primer cup is lined up with the tube allowing a primer to fall down. Also make sure the slide is traveling far enough backwards to push the plastic peg and drop a primer. There isn't a whole lot to it and if you look you can see what's going on.

I don't know if its the same, but my Square deal B has a small adjustment screw level with the tip of the primer magazine

also the magazine tip has a notch that must be lined up

Most adjustments can be accomplished by replacing the plastic nipple. I try to avoid messing with any other adjustments.

The primer tube is usually not a source of problems or restrictions, but you could run a patch through it just to be safe. The nipple is the only potential place for a restriction, unless the primer cup isn't lining up with the feed tube. I would start with a new nipple, cheap and easy.

It was the plastic piece on the end of the magazine tube. Even though it felt like it was fitted into a slot apparently it wasn't seated properly. I replaced it and all was well. Simple fix but I didn't recognize the problem. As an aside, the spare parts kit contained the replacement piece and allowed a quick fix without any wait for shipping. Glad I picked one up when I ordered the parts I knew I needed. Thanks to all for the help!!

The primer tube is usually not a source of problems or restrictions, but you could run a patch through it just to be safe. The nipple is the only potential place for a restriction, unless the primer cup isn't lining up with the feed tube. I would start with a new nipple, cheap and easy.

This, but I've noticed the "invisible junk getting in the tubes" thing before, and a patch or running appropriate sized bore brush through it will fix the problem.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom