• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dillon Precision

I'm sure we have many compliments in here about Dillon products,
but i couldn't find any.

Here my story:

couple weeks during a loading session a primer went off, loud bang,
bright flash. The most visible damage i could find was the follower rod
and the magazine.

I called Dillon expecting to pay for these parts. FIRST thing, they
will not replace the damaged parts, THEY replaced the entire primer
system and sent everything at no charge....

You just can't beat it, if you looking for a press, (I'm kinda biased)
a Dillon is at the top of the list...

JimB

Welcome to the Mucky pants club !!!

I joined the club last year when a primer got under my shell plate. All of a sudden there was a bang and it flew across the bench and buried it self in a plaster wall.

It's a scary thing. I'm glad your not hurt...

Dillon rules!!!! I have 2 of their presses and any issues I've had they've sent parts at no charge and no questions asked without question. I called once when I had issues with my 1050 and I just wanted to buy new parts for it because the thing just wasn't working. Their response? If the parts are bad we'll send you them at no cost but since I have you on the phone lets see if we can figure out the problem. Well, 10 minutes later the press was up and running 100%. All is good. When I buy another press it will be another 1050 for sure.

Same here; great results with Dillon.

They replace parts when they wear out. Even when they a little bitty ones. Sometimes I think the postage costs more than the part.

On the phone, the customer service reps are always patient and knowledgeable. Not like when you call the help desk at your cell phone, or cable company where you can hear them scrolling through the prepared questions and answer screens.

Of course this begs the question, which model dillon was it and how did the explosion happen? Was it user error or did something just run horribly off the
rails causing the magazine to explode?

Excellent warranty service is great but guys like myself would prefer to not have the thing explode to begin with. [girn]

-Mike

Of course this begs the question, which model dillon was it and how did the explosion happen? Was it user error or did something just run horribly off the
rails causing the magazine to explode?

Excellent warranty service is great but guys like myself would prefer to not have the thing explode to begin with. [girn]

-Mike

Mike,

I think the OP only had one primer explode and not the whole magazine. It is usually operator error which causes a primer to explode in the press. Typically when a primer is not seating correctly in a case and the operator pushes a little too hard on the lever trying to seat it. It has happened to me one time in 6 years. With my ringing ears I learned real quick to not do that again! [smile]

I believe Dillion has a safe primer delivery system in all of their presses.

not sure

not sure what happened, but they sent me the alignment tools to
check the primer punch alignment and the tool head alignment to
the ram.

something went out of whack. i couldn't find it. it could have been
the brass, or even the primer. I am using a 650.
I'm not eliminating operator error.

The primer mag was split about 1/3 the way up and the follower
rod thru a ceiling tile in the basement.

JimB

Last edited:
Getting the primer loading tube to explode is, to put it mildly, An Achievement. I've been loading on 550's for nigh onto a decade now and, other than problems when the plastic dispenser at the end of the primer tube gets squished, my only problem with Dillon is using the same position to deprime and prime. And 650's don't even have that problem.

Glad no-one was hurt. The customer service, however, is precisely what one would expect from Big Blue.

There's a reason why the VAST majority of USPSA competitors use Dillon. I suspect similar results would be obtained by polling IDPA and SASS members.

I popped a primer with my 650 when I first started reloading, no damage. That was interesting. I think it was NT brass or something. The priming on the 650 is done with as much force as you put on the last bit up stroke. So if the primer isn't going but you keep on pushing, it could go. On the other hand, you get a great feel for the tightness of the primer pocket with that machine. I've crushed many primers over the years due to crappy brass or whatever, and only that one went off.

JimB,
I remember reading that people using Federal primers had this happen much more often then when loading other brands, what were you loading?

Respectfully,

jkelly

primer loading tube

The primer magazine tube (looks similar to the primer pick up tube)
was split about 6" up. Its easy to do that the way its set up.

The black pipe it fits into was not damaged.... are we on the same
page.

JimB

The primer magazine tube (looks similar to the primer pick up tube)
was split about 6" up. Its easy to do that the way its set up.

The black pipe it fits into was not damaged.... are we on the same page.

Which is, of course, precisely as designed. The aluminum absorbs most of the impact and is cheap to replace. The steel outer tube is capable of containing the blast and directing it in a safe direction - UP!

Win NT is Non Toxic so the primers are always small, even in .45 and the pockets tend to be tight, even for a small primer. Sometimes they don't want to go in, sometimes they go in but with more of a snap as they seat.

Back
Top Bottom