• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dillon 650 vs 750

milktree

NES Member
I've been looking at the monthly Dillon catalog and their website, and I can't find the differences between the "old" XL650 and the XL750.

It must be a big deal, right, they incremented a whole major digit (not just changing a "B" to a "C" like they did with the RL550B/C)

So... if I were to add a more capable press to my tools, why should I get a 750 instead of a used 650?

One of the biggest changes is that they replaced the 650s primer system for the one from the 550. I can’t tell you whether that is good or bad, since I only have experience with the 550 primer system.

I've been looking at the monthly Dillon catalog and their website, and I can't find the differences between the "old" XL650 and the XL750.

It must be a big deal, right, they incremented a whole major digit (not just changing a "B" to a "C" like they did with the RL550B/C)

So... if I were to add a more capable press to my tools, why should I get a 750 instead of a used 650?

Probably because the priming magazine sucks less, or at least it looks like it does. The 650s turret thing always represented a mass explosion hazard.... unless you were pretty vigilant/careful...

ETA: If I was going to make a guess a 650 blew up and some guy sued them over it, or they had an attorney that said "if someone ever sues you over this, you will lose" due to the well known nature/frequency of the defect. So they finally changed it. Might reduce part costs in the long run for them, too.

Huh... I would have said the 550's primer system was its weak point.

By "weak point" I mean "one of the things I'd change about the 550" although I don't really know what I'd replace it with.

What’s pissing me off is that Dillon announced that the RL1100 would be available this summer and yet there is no news about it. I’m assuming they’ve run into issues.

Huh... I would have said the 550's primer system was its weak point.

By "weak point" I mean "one of the things I'd change about the 550" although I don't really know what I'd replace it with.

The 550 priming system isn't perfect, but to get a magazine explosion on one of those you have to be pretty talented. (although I'm sure its not impossible).

The biggest issue with that system is the fact that things get dirty over time and it needs periodic maintenance (basically I would do it once every big run of 1000 rounds or
so) and if you don't do it, you'll get punished for it. The worst of which is, if you have your press in a basement or something, I think over time some kind of oxidation builds up on the tube that is actually in the magazine... and you can get lots of no-feed, stuck feed, etc. I resolved this at the time by just running a wicked small bore brush down the tubes once a year a few times, even dry, the brush was enough to get rid of whatever crap may have been in there.

-Mike

The 550 priming system isn't perfect, but to get a magazine explosion on one of those you have to be pretty talented. (although I'm sure its not impossible).

The biggest issue with that system is the fact that things get dirty over time and it needs periodic maintenance (basically I would do it once every big run of 1000 rounds or
so) and if you don't do it, you'll get punished for it. The worst of which is, if you have your press in a basement or something, I think over time some kind of oxidation builds up on the tube that is actually in the magazine... and you can get lots of no-feed, stuck feed, etc. I resolved this at the time by just running a wicked small bore brush down the tubes once a year a few times, even dry, the brush was enough to get rid of whatever crap may have been in there.

-Mike

My completely inexperienced gut thought on this is that the APS system where the primers are in little reloadable plastic strips has some huge advantages:
- You can switch primers without spilling all the extras all over the floor
- The strips are cheap and can be reloaded easily while watching TV (no pickup tubes!)
- Positive indexing, no gravity required

I'm sure there are loads of downsides I don't know about though, having never actually used an APS system.

What’s pissing me off is that Dillon announced that the RL1100 would be available this summer and yet there is no news about it. I’m assuming they’ve run into issues.

Last week, I asked about it (forwarding the email that I got from them before saying it would be April). The answer I received was September (so, I'm assuming end thereof).

Little bit more height added (no exact measurements) between the tool head and the shell plate to accommodate particular rifle rounds.
No idea what the rounds are, this is all off of the internet, so take it f.w.i.w.

The primer cup on the 650 is a PITA change out no room to get a wrench in 5he space on the cup,using pliers works but you end up mangling the flats on the cup assembly. I've 2 650s and never had a primer go off but had other problems with the priming system getting jammed up due to worn parts,dirt etc.

I’m not a lawyer or ever played one on a tv show.

A colleague of mine called them when they released the 750 to see if there was an upgrade path of trade in, there is not.

Edit, After reading comments posted by Dillon looks like they will be offering the new indexer for the 650 at the end of the year and a stripped 750 if you want to go that route.

I would of thought if this was lawyer led upgrade due to primer issues they would want to do safety recall/upgrade path.

Differences beween the XL750 ... in XL750 | Dillon Precision Forums
Many current and potential customers are asking about the differences between Dillon's XL650 and the nw XL750.
The XL750 has a simplified linear priming system. It only requires the removal of two nuts to detach and change sizes on the primer feed system. Like the XL650, the 750 deprimes in station 1 and primes in station 2, minimizing any chance that spent primer residue could interfere with priming.
The shellplate indexing mechanism has been completely redesigned, so the shellplate turns more smoothly, decreasing cases wobble. The index pawl has been relocated on the ring indexer and the spring direction reversed. This makes it more difficult to accidently break the ring indexer. The index block now has a roller, which also smoothes out indexing.
Additionally, the index block incorporates a spring-loaded overtravel stop, which significantly increases the life of springs on the machine.
All caliber conversion kits, toolheads and most parts interchange freely between the XL750 and the XL650. Parts that are unique to the XL650 will remain in full production.

Harry.

Last edited:
I like the priming system on the 550 much better than the priming system on the 650. With the 550 system, if the primer you're seating goes off, that's all that happens. If that happens with the 650 system, all the primers go off. Also, you can see the primer you're about to seat with the 550 but you can't with the 650. It's easier and quicker to switch between large and small with the 550 system.

I like the priming system on the 550 much better than the priming system on the 650. With the 550 system, if the primer you're seating goes off, that's all that happens. If that happens with the 650 system, all the primers go off. Also, you can see the primer you're about to seat with the 550 but you can't with the 650. It's easier and quicker to switch between large and small with the 550 system.

*easier* on the 550? Yikes!

This makes it clear that if I want to with something faster than the 550, I should go to the 750, not a used 650.

The primer cup on the 650 is a PITA change out no room to get a wrench in 5he space on the cup,using pliers works but you end up mangling the flats on the cup assembly. I've 2 650s and never had a primer go off but had other problems with the priming system getting jammed up due to worn parts,dirt etc.
I dont get this at all, it only takes a few minutes. I've never had an issue with the primer system on the 650 other than the occasional numb-nuts move on my part.

*easier* on the 550? Yikes!

This makes it clear that if I want to with something faster than the 550, I should go to the 750, not a used 650.

I've got a 650. It's the only press I've ever used, my wife bought it for me a couple of years ago. I've loaded tens of thousands of rounds of 9mm on it with very few issues, where the issues I've had have been self-induced due to inexperience - and Dillon's online chat have bailed me out in short order. With Dillon's lifetime warranty and incredible support, I wouldn't hesitate about buying a used 650. I've been thinking about another one myself.

Pre-announcing a product while still trying to sell the previous version, especially at full price, is a reciepe for disaster.

There is even a term for it, the "Osborne Effect". Google for details.

I've got both a 650 and a 550.

The "problem" with the 650 is that if you don't have a shell on the case plate, it indexes anyway. That "extra" primer gets dropped on a plastic "ski ramp". Where up to 5 can accumulate or if they decide to jump off onto the floor.

It sucks.

However, the aftermarket has pretty much resolved this. My two 650s wear a "live primer bottle catch" that accumulates these primers. When the bottle is full, its got about 65 primers in it. I dump them onto the primer flip tray, put them into a primer tube and load them back into the press.

Its a 95% solution.

Don

I've got both a 650 and a 550.

The "problem" with the 650 is that if you don't have a shell on the case plate, it indexes anyway. That "extra" primer gets dropped on a plastic "ski ramp". Where up to 5 can accumulate or if they decide to jump off onto the floor.

It sucks.

The one thing that would make a 650 or 750 much, much better is the ability to turn the auto-indexing off.

Back
Top Bottom