• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dillon 650 issue

Ok I have been using this press for about 1.5 years now and recently started having primer feed issues.

Winchester primers and that is all I have ever used. Half or 3/4 through run the primers will stop feeding. I have to manually stop the case's until the primers start to feed again. Now I have become expert at "feeling" when they stop lol.

Machine stripped down 2 times and completely cleaned. It is not dirty. Like I said I can feel it now so it is a minor annoyance but still a annoyance.

Suggestions?

Although I haven't had this issue, the tip of the primer magazine's are known for wearing out, the 650 does not have a replaceable tip. Just call Dillion, they'll send you a new tube for free. If that's doesn't solve the problem, they'll send an entire new primer system, they stand behind their lifetime warranty.

Last edited:
I assume you're using the black plastic primer tube follower. Put a couple of wraps of solder around the top of it to add a bit of extra weight, and see if that helps.

Make sure the set screw that adjusts the primer shuttle stop hasn't walked. Had that happen once too. (I'm assuming the 650 primer feed is pretty similar to other Dillons. No personal experience on a 650)

Last edited:
I stick a spent .45acp casing over the black plastic follower to add some extra weight pressing down on the primers in the tube.

I assume you're using the black plastic primer tube follower. Put a couple of wraps of solder around the top of it to add a bit of extra weight, and see if that helps.

+1. The extra weight helps feed the primers. Another solution is to screw a 1/4 in wing nut onto the top of the plastic primer follower. My solution was to replace all of the plastic followers with brass rods.

A 45 ACP case fits perfectly on the top end to add weight as well.

So funny. I did that tonight and it worked like a charm for well over 600 rounds.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Make sure the set screw that adjusts the primer shuttle stop hasn't walked. Had that happen once too. (I'm assuming the 650 primer feed is pretty similar to other Dillons. No personal experience on a 650)

The 650 uses a rotary system rather than a shuttle system to deliver the primers.

I also use a 45ACP case on my primer follower

So funny. I did that tonight and it worked like a charm for well over 600 rounds.

Thanks to all for the replies.
I'm amazed you made it 1.5 yrs before having this issue, I had 45 cases on the low primer rods since say day 1. I had assumed you already had done this. Glad it was a simple solution.

I'm amazed you made it 1.5 yrs before having this issue, I had 45 cases on the low primer rods since say day 1. I had assumed you already had done this. Glad it was a simple solution.

Never once had a issue until recently. Thanks again for the replies.

I too put an empty 45 case on the top of the follower.

I have 2 primer pickup tubes that somehow have a bur or something on the inside that will cause Winchester and Federal primers to get stuck in the tube, CCI will pass the bur, but some resistance is felt. I assume the same could happen to the primer magazine on your press.

Late to the party as usual but I run a 45 case and when changing over from large to small I run a .17 caliber rod and patch thru the tube with some gun scrubber

Sounded like a Lee forum. I thought Dillon issues were like UFO sightings...you get blacklisted and neg rep'd if you admit to them...LOL

Nah. But they rarely actually break. As in they can't make any ammo. My 650s require a bit of fiddling every once in a while. Much more so the one I bought used than the one I bought new. I have no idea how many rounds have been through the used one. But I bought it on USPSA.com's classified section. So I'm guessing its had a bit of use.

Most of my issues are items that become nuisances. I call Dillon, they send me a new part and the problem is fixed.

Back
Top Bottom