• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dillon 650 advice

I had an L-N-L Progressive and essentially gave it away, bought a 650, and never looked back. The 750 is mostly a 650 with an improved priming system.
Well it will be a while before I can spend $500 plus on a press. I always seem to buy more powder/bullets/primers when i get some spending money

I had an L-N-L Progressive and essentially gave it away, bought a 650, and never looked back. The 750 is mostly a 650 with an improved priming system.
So surprised to hear this as mine has been great to me for MANY tens of thousands of rounds. But of course that doesn't mean you can't have a bad one at some point.

So surprised to hear this as mine has been great to me for MANY tens of thousands of rounds. But of course that doesn't mean you can't have a bad one at some point.

EC would know more about this than most of us here, but I want to say they changed parts of the thing over time.....

-Mike

You use an LNL?

How many rounds in a row can you load without having to stop to fix a misfed case or move the primer shuttle into place?

Did you ever get a granule of tumbler media in front of the primer shuttle then have the primer seating anvil shave a bit of material off the inside because of the misalignment? How about broken edges on the cheap die cast case feeder parts that cause balky case feeding? How often do you have to poke a case into station one because it didn't quite feed all the way? Any log jams at the top of the case feeder that makes you stop and pick them out of the funnel? Did you get the worn out dent in the aluminum casting under the primer seating anvil that made it necessary to drill a hole to insert a steel plug? How many primer seating anvils and shuttles have you had to replace? How many springs?

I got sick of maintaining the machine.

Even when it was "right" I bet I couldn't go a dozen pulls of the handle in a row without having to stop and futz with something.

I loaded well over 100,000 rounds on mine (maybe over 200K) and it got so worn out that it was useless to me. I called Hornady and asked them if they had a rebuild program like Dillon. They told me to buy a new press.

So I did. A blue one. Now I can load up the primer tube, and pull the handle on the 650 100 times without having to touch anything.

You use an LNL?

How many rounds in a row can you load without having to stop to fix a misfed case or move the primer shuttle into place?

Did you ever get a granule of tumbler media in front of the primer shuttle then have the primer seating anvil shave a bit of material off the inside because of the misalignment? How about broken edges on the cheap die cast case feeder parts that cause balky case feeding? How often do you have to poke a case into station one because it didn't quite feed all the way? Any log jams at the top of the case feeder that makes you stop and pick them out of the funnel? Did you get the worn out dent in the aluminum casting under the primer seating anvil that made it necessary to drill a hole to insert a steel plug? How many primer seating anvils and shuttles have you had to replace? How many springs?

I got sick of maintaining the machine.

Even when it was "right" I bet I couldn't go a dozen pulls of the handle in a row without having to stop and futz with something.

I loaded well over 100,000 rounds on mine (maybe over 200K) and it got so worn out that it was useless to me. I called Hornady and asked them if they had a rebuild program like Dillon. They told me to buy a new press.

So I did. A blue one. Now I can load up the primer tube, and pull the handle on the 650 100 times without having to touch anything.
I sure do!

I don’t use a casefeeder so I haven’t run into any problems with cases being misfed. Only time I’ve had to move the primer shuttle in place is when I get dirt/media/brass flakes built up underneath which prevents the shuttle from feeding all the way forward. This usually happens when I haven’t cleaned the press in a while.

I do have a dent in the press under the primer seating anvil but it hasn’t caused any problems yet. I’m still able to seat primers below flush.

I have not needed to replace any shuttles or anvils yet. Still work great. I’m on my last (3rd) spring that was included with the press. Not bad considering how many rounds I’ve loaded.

I did have to adjust the pawls to ensure the shell plate aligns correctly. And sometimes I’ll get a hang up with Win large pistol primers where the last primer in the tube won’t feed and allow the shuttle to move forward. Doesn’t happen with CCI or Win small pistol primers.

Back
Top Bottom