• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dillon 650 advice

A 650 is NOT the place to start, IMHO.

If you plan on loading for just one or two pistol calibers, get a Square Deal B. VERY simple, FAR less expensive and it will crank out all the ammo she is likely to need or want.

If you need more versatility and wish to use NON-proprietary die sets, get a 550.

Go to the Brian Enos forum. He's a Dillon dealer and has a whole section on how to select the right Dillon for you.

I was thinking the 650 because I will probably convert all of my pistol cartridges to that. I will probably use the redding mainly for rifle hunting loads and the forster for match loads. I figured the 650 is only a few hundred more and I know I would be able to upgrade on that. thanks for the advice

Square Deal B $340 550B $396 650 $505 all prices from latest Dillon catalog. Of the 3 the 550 is your best bet cheaper tool heads,conversion kits etc. But if you've not done any reloading the SD is the best bet but conversions are a bit pricey and you can only load pistol calibers. As Scriv said the 550 is YOUR best bet. I had a 550 for at least 20 years and the damn thing is near indestructible,easy die change via tool head and easy primer arm change. trust me on this the priming system on a 650 is a royal pain to change.

The SDB is one of the worst presses I have ever used. The 550 is well worth the extra $.

Gammon

RL300, 450, 550, and 1050, but no SDB.

650 primer change

I havn't really felt the change over is a pain. I've done it several times
and had no issues.

I run a bunch of ammo berore i change anything.

If your doing test loads consider a single stage press.

JimB

I have a 650 and load about 5 calibers on it. It was my first press and first experience with reloading. I highly recommend it with the casefeeder and took running to it quickly. There may be a couple minutes more in the changeover compared to the 550 yet the greater speed and smooth operation of the machine makes up for that in no time.

I had got my dillon 650 yesterday, built A bench specifically for it assembled it in about half hour and already running 40s&w through it, Awesome machine. Starting my wife on it this weekend, I really got it for her since she just got her LTC just the other day, but i'll probably be using it more than she will. thanks for the advice

I have a 650 and load about 5 calibers on it. It was my first press and first experience with reloading. I highly recommend it with the casefeeder and took running to it quickly. There may be a couple minutes more in the changeover compared to the 550 yet the greater speed and smooth operation of the machine makes up for that in no time.

The 650 is a GREAT place to start. I started with a Lee Pro 1000 and loaded a couple hundred rounds on it and what a POS it was for me. Anyways, I bought a 650 almost immediately and never looked back. You can learn on a 650 with no problem... Don't listen to people that say you need a single stage press. IT'S NOT WORTH IT!!!

I also have a 1050 with a K.I.S.S. bullet feeder and I would NOT Recommend that for a new reloader.

The 650 is a GREAT place to start. I started with a Lee Pro 1000 and loaded a couple hundred rounds on it and what a POS it was for me. Anyways, I bought a 650 almost immediately and never looked back. You can learn on a 650 with no problem... Don't listen to people that say you need a single stage press. IT'S NOT WORTH IT!!!

I agree.

I started with a Lee Anniversary Kit and loaded about 50 rounds on it, realized that I wasted my money, bought a progressive, and never looked back.

If you can't learn pistol reloading on a good progressive press, you're not going to have much luck with a single stage either.

I can't speak for the Dillon 650...but go progressive, don't bother with a single-stage. I did, and I regret it.

Since the OP already got his 650 this is all just good discussion I guess. IMO single stage presses are soooo easy to use and soooo cheap it's not a big deal to try things out with a cheap RCBS single stage. I have the Hornady LNL and still find the single stage very helpful and it gets use still and I load about 500 rounds/week with the LNL.

You won't go wrong with a single-stage, especially if you have to decrimp military cases. I still use mine for that and for sizing rifle cases.

Everything else gets done on the 550's.

Same here. I agree 100%

I actually have the Forster co-ax and the redding t-7 I use the Forster specifically for target/match loads and the t-7 for hunting loads, I read in a few books I have that say that loading 223rem match loads from the Dillon doesn't make that much of a difference in accuracy with conducted testing so I will probably try it out, as for my 6.5cal and up match ammo I'm gonna stick with the Forster. thanks

I deprime on my 40 year old s/s. I do not like how the 650 primes at all. I use an RCBS auto prime tool for all of my priming. I love how that works.

lol, did not realize this thread was soooooo old. I usually reload about 300 rounds at a time and am in no hurry and I really do not like how the 650 prime system operates. Besides it will help the press stay a little cleaner doing the derime/priming of press.

I'd get the 650, the initial learning curve is a little steeper, but you can then use that to reload everything, and it is a lot quicker. I have a rock chucker but I only use it for precision rifle.

The 650 is a great place to start. Its how I started and I have never regretted it. (other than using a single stage when in college. which was a matter of cost)

However, it may not be ideal for you. I mention this because you said you want to load multiple calibers.

The 650 is a pain in the butt to change calibers. Its also relatively expensive. Some people say they can switch calibers out in 10 minutes. I don't believe them. No freaking way.
Here are all the things you may have to change out.

1) Tool head.
2) powder drop if you don't have one for each tool head.
3) shell plate and then readjust indexing.
4) primer system
5) shell feed plate in shell feeder.
6) bushings in shell feeder

Bottom line is that a caliber change take you the better part of an hour and will cost you $180 plus dies.

If you want to reload lots of different cartridges and don't want to make buckets full of any one load, then the 550 sounds best to me. Its much quicker to change over calibers but is still capable of churning out 250 rounds per hour.

I have 4 presses.

2 - Dillon 650
1 - Dillon 550
1 - Lee classic cast turret press.

I've found that they each have their use.

The 650s are set up for 9mm and .45 ACP. I make buckets of these.

The 550 is primarily used for .223 that i make to be reasonably accurate. I also use it to make .380. Since .380 uses the same shell plate and primer size as .223, all I need to do is change out the tool head.

I also use the .550 for load development of any magnum or rifle cartridge. I don't bother with it for 9mm or .45 load development because I've already got all my recipes and usually its just a small tweak to adjust for a new bullet.

My Lee Classic cast is used to
1) make loads of items I only shoot a couple of hundred rounds per year. The cost of a caliber change over is about $10 for a tool head. Everything else stays the same. With the auto indexer installed, I can make about 100 rounds per hour on the press. I use this for .38 spcl, .357mag, .44 mag. .454 Cassul.

2) with the auto indexer removed I use it along with some very highly precise Redding dies to make highly accurate match ammo for my .308 and .223. Batches are made with matched headstamps. The cases are weighed and grouped together. The charges are weighed individually. The last time I chrono'd my .308, the muzzle velocity standard deviation (SD) was 3 fps. Which is pretty fantastic.

I hope this long winded explanation is helpful. Whew.

Last edited:
The 650 is a great place to start. Its how I started and I have never regretted it.

However, it may not be ideal for you. I mention this because you said you want to load multiple calibers.

The 650 is a pain in the butt to change calibers. Its also relatively expensive. Some people say they can switch calibers out in 10 minutes. I don't believe them. No freaking way.
Here are all the things you may have to change out.

1) Tool head.
2) powder drop if you don't have one for each tool head.
3) shell plate and then readjust indexing.
4) primer system
5) shell feed plate in shell feeder.
6) bushings in shell feeder

Bottom line is that a caliber change take you the better part of an hour and will cost you $180 plus dies.

If you want to reload lots of different cartridges and don't want to make buckets full of any one load, then the 550 sounds best to me. Its much quicker to change over calibers but is still capable of churning out 250 rounds per hour.

I have 4 presses.

2 - Dillon 650
1 - Dillon 550
1 - Lee classic cast turret press.

I've found that they each have their use.

The 650s are set up for 9mm and .45 ACP. I make buckets of these.

The 550 is primarily used for .223 that i make to be reasonably accurate. I also use it to make .380. Since .380 uses the same shell plate and primer size as .223, all I need to do is change out the tool head.

I also use the .550 for load development of any magnum or rifle cartridge. I don't bother with it for 9mm or .45 load development because I've already got all my recipes and usually its just a small tweak to adjust for a new bullet.

My Lee Classic cast is used to
1) make loads of items I only shoot a couple of hundred rounds per year. The cost of a caliber change over is about $10 for a tool head. Everything else stays the same. With the auto indexer installed, I can make about 100 rounds per hour on the press. I use this for .38 spcl, .357mag, .44 mag. .454 Cassul.

2) with the auto indexer removed I use it along with some very highly precise Redding dies to make highly accurate match ammo for my .308 and .223. Batches are made with matched headstamps. The cases are weighed and grouped together. The charges are weighed individually. The last time I chrono'd my .308, the muzzle velocity standard deviation (SD) was 3 fps. Which is pretty fantastic.

I hope this long winded explanation is helpful. Whew.
Changes on the 650 arent that bad. For one, having a quick change set up is worth its weight in gold. Secondly you wont always have to change the primer feed depending on what calibers you're using. Case feed plate literally drops in place.

I just went from 9mm to 45acp which required case feed plate change and primer feed change along with all the caliber specific stuff. 15 minutes tops, no bs.

I'll admit I have quick change set ups on all my calibers so I just pull 2 pins and that's it, no dies or powder drop to play with. I wouldn't have it any other way, well worth the extra dough imo.

That's what I meant when I said $180 per caliber change. A powder drop all set to go on a different tool head.

You didn't mention changes to the case feeder, with a different plate in the hopper.

I also assume you have a complete large primer setup and small primer setup which allows you to change it out pretty quick, much faster than changing disks and all the other stuff that goes along with that.

I recently switched my 650s around. I have one I got used that is good, I also have one that I got new that runs a bit better. My .45 was set up on the new one and I reload more 9mm than .45. So this fall I decided to swap 9mm to the newer one and 45 to the older one.

I realize I hadn't done the change over in several years, but it took me 2 1/2 hours. Massive pain in the balls.

I couldn't do what you do.

I used to swap my 650 between 9mm and .45 a couple of times per year. It still took me 45 min. That is with quick change of tool heads with a different powder dump all set up. But without separate primer assemblies.

About 10 years ago I was on USPSA.com poking around in the classifieds and saw for an ad for totally loaded 650 set up for 5 calibers for $1200. So I jumped on it FAST.

If I had put all the extra stuff I didn't need on eBay individually I could have made money and still had the press setup as I wanted. As it was, I batched most of the extras into 2 large batches and sold them locally. I ended up with the press for free. So it was easy to justify getting another 650.

Last edited:
Meh the plate for the case feeder just pops out and the new ones drops in place, no tools or adjustments. I do have a complete large and small primer set up. Tbh i wasnt aware people do it any other way, so maybe you have a point regarding the time. I know I couldnt do with out having a seperate powder drop for each caliber. Glad I cried once in the beginning. If I had to disassemble half the machine every time I changed a caliber I'd probably not be such a fan.

I agree.

I started with a Lee Anniversary Kit and loaded about 50 rounds on it, realized that I wasted my money, bought a progressive, and never looked back.

If you can't learn pistol reloading on a good progressive press, you're not going to have much luck with a single stage either.
Only reason I started with a single stage is cost.
my initial investment went to die sets. i bought every think I wanted to load for up front. i had aquired 12 die sets before i bought my hornady 007.
I have been looking at the 650 and Hornady AP but now the 750 is in the works. ? i have a few gun projects to finish and start saving for a heavy duty progressive. I run lee pro 1000 s right now and find they meet my needs for lower volume pistol loads.

That's how it was with me. I started in college with about $100 to spend. Used dies, used press, etc. Then after college I stopped for 15 years. When I started again, I went right for a 650.

I do think the 550/650 question has ore to do with budget and how often you plan to swap out calibers than how much experience you have.

I had an L-N-L Progressive and essentially gave it away, bought a 650, and never looked back. The 750 is mostly a 650 with an improved priming system.

Back
Top Bottom