• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dillon 550 vs. Hornady LNL

Been doing my research plus Pm'ing with some members it is down to the Dillon 550 either basic or Top notch from Brianenos

http://brianenos.com/store/dillon.ez.550.html

with free shipping or the Hornady LNL

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=679228&t=11082005

from midway and pick out my own accessories and pay for shipping.

I know this is Ford or Chevy I like to buy once. I shoot twice a month several calibers so I will not load alot BUT I like to buy what I will use for twenty plus years. What would you do.

Mitch

Last edited:
I doubt you would be unhappy with either.

I came THAT close to buying an L-N-L, and I already owned a 550. I saw a new 550 with accessories for less than half what was paid for it. At that price, and with the toolheads I already had, it was the intelligent choice.

For you, with nothing yet, the L-N-L might be more cost effective. Talk to Eddie Coyle, who has experience with each.

You can get the LNL for $50 less from MidSouth Shooters Supply, and they're currently running a $5.99 flat rate shipping promotion. I have one and it's been great, but I've never owned a Dillon, so can't offer a fair comparison.

I'd do an in-depth comparison but I'd rather not start a war. People with Dillon's will say that they're better because everybody uses them. People with L-N-Ls will say they're every bit as good but haven't been around as long.

I had both and sold the 550. I'd be curious to hear from someone else who's owned both. For an apples-to-apples comparison check the L-N-L vs. the Dillon 650.

Last edited:
I know this is Ford or Chevy I like to buy once. I shoot twice a month several calibers so I will not load alot BUT I like to buy what I will use for twenty plus years. What would you do.

Twice a month!? We need to change that right here, right now!!

Mitch said:

Sorry, I missed this part.

Don't bother with a progressive; it doesn't sound like you're going to be loading enough to justify it. You might be better off getting a good single stage (Like an RCBS Rockchucker or Hornady L-N-L Classic). Even if you decide to upgrade to a progressive, a good single stage is a handy thing to have around.

Last edited:
apples to apples

I think the LNL should be compared to the 650 and not the 550,
as the LNL and 650 are auto indixing.

I did see your comment about shooting twice a month.

Both of these presses are meant to do volume. What quantity of
ammo are you shooting each month?????

Lets state there..

JimB

Why not just look at the Dillon Square Deal B? It will be most cost effective and is simple to change between calibers. Only drawback it is for pistol rounds only. However, if you're only shooting a little this is prob. a best bet. You mentioned you want a press that will last 20 years. That being said the Dillon is the only press of the 2 that we know will still work in 20 years. I know the L-N is a great press and in years will be a strong competitor to Dillon I'm sure but until they prove they will hold the test of time it might not be worth the risk.

Honestly though, which ever press you decide to purchase you will be very happy with.

I have to disagree on the Square Deal. Unless I'm mistaken and things have changed, that press uses proprietary dies that can only be used with that press, and are only available grom Dillon. So, if you do get into reloading heavily and want to move up, you'll have to start over buying industry standard dies for all the rounds you will have accululated dies for on the Square Deal.If you go Dillon, I think you'd be much better off getting a used 650 setup.

I think we also need to know if you're shooting pistol or rifle only twice per month. If rifle, I'd agree with EC's recommendation of a single stage. If pistol, I'd still strongly recommend starting with a progressive, if for no other reason that you'll be able to load several month's worth very quickly and won't be spending as much or more time reloading as shooting.

I have a LnL and love it. I have no experience with Dillon, but the Hornady does everything I need it to do.

I don't know if the single stage would be a good idea. If he's only got time to go shooting twice a month, how much time does he have to be sitting at the reloading bench?

More info on Me to help me chose.

I average shooting twice a month at this time since I have two small children (both in hockey & swimming, 1 in karate etc.) and being self employed, time is at a premium.

I shoot when I can at this time and plan to shoot more as time goes on. At this time I have several calabers 22 thru 45 plus a M 1 carbine. I plan to get a M 1 Garand, AR 15 or similar rifle in the near future.

I am a NRA Instructor and use several calibers over 22 to teach. So I may be going thru ammo that I am not actualy shooting myself.

I do have limited time to reload but as time goes by this should also increase.

When I do buy something I like quality and expandability for the long run.

Did any of you look at the web site link I had for the Dillon press as a package deal with free shipping.

Thanks

Mitch

I'd consider a 550 - it indexes manually, so its a tad slower than a 650 or L-N-L; however, this allows you the opportunity to check any station at any time. It will also take a case feeder and is easier to convert primer sizes than a 650.

Brian Enos has a nice discussion of what Dillon works for whom on his site. Check it out.

The 550 wasn't right for my application.

I load over 20 calibers and I like to tinker. Living in Mass, my bullet supply is catch-as-catch-can. I get (and got) bullets from a variety of disparate sources, group buys, a few suppliers that will still ship here, lots on eBay (while they still allowed them to be sold), etc. I load several different sizes and types of cast, plated, and jacketed bullets for most of my calibers. In other words, I spend lots of time working up loads - and "working up loads" involves changing the powder charge.

Which brings us to the nexus of the problem. I don't care how big a dose of the Blue Kool Aid you've drunk, anybody that's ever used both has to agree that the Hornady powder measure is head and shoulders above the Dillon when it comes to varying the powder charge.

I used to work up loads on my 550 and it was painful. When I got the L-N-L, it was like a gift from heaven. Not only does the Hornady powder measure consistently throw accurate charges of fine-grained ball powder like H110 (of which I use a lot - and the Dillon sucked with it), but with the micrometer-type precision pistol measure, I can look back at my notes and dial in a charge almost without weighing. With the L-N-L, I can load 100 rounds with ten different powder charges faster than I could make even 1 accurate charge weight change with the Dillon.

I suppose that if I was loading for IDPA or one of the other games, I could set the Dillon measure to dump 5.5 grains of 231 into a .45 case and be happy. Or if I only loaded a few calibers or bullets, I could buy a separate Dillon powder measure for each. However I don't, and for me the Hornady works much better.

I kept the 550 for a while, permanently set up to dump 2.7 grains of Bullseye under a 148gr .38 Wadcutter. It is a great machine. When I bought an extra .38 seating die to seat 148gr wadcutters in my L-N-L, the 550 became superfluous; so I sold it and put the money towards another gun. One thing I can say about the Dillon press is that it certainly holds its value.

My first 550 did not have a Power Mount; the second one did. I sit for the former and stand for the latter. Pick your position.

I WOULD get a roller handle. I don't have one - can you say carpal tunnel syndrome? Suuuuuuuuure, you can!

I have been using a 550 since they came out, and upgraded as changes were made. It has been great. My only problem was before they introduced the spring measure bar return, it used to hang up on small flake powders like Bullseye. Never had a problem with ball.
I still work up small quantity evaluation loads on a single stage press, using a Pact Computer powder dispenser, not good for ball powder! Then after finding the right load, go over to the Dillon for qty.
I do load over 40 calibers and use the Pact for most rifle because there it is usually quality over quantity.
I have loaded hundreds of thousand rounds on the Dillon with few problems, and they were always corrected at n/c with one phone call.
To each his own! Your choice.

I have a Square Deal B, and don't suggest it except if you are going to set it for one caliber and change annually, or less often.
It is a massive PITA to change over, and uses special, expensive dies that are not useable in any other press. If I am loading less than 500 rounds, I will not bother changing it over.

It soesn't sound as if you need a progressive right now. Get a progressive when you are ready but start just a little simpler.
My favorite for pistol ammo is the turret press. You save time by handling the brass fewer times. I currently use a "vintage" Lyman All American, discontinued years ago.

I have been thinking seriously about the Lee Classic Cast turret press. The Lee Classic presses are much more heavily built than their standard line. Four die stations are just right for handgun loading with three dies and a powder measure. You can get the press for a little less than $100 online. PM me for the source, if interested. BTW, it uses inexpensive changeable die heads for a fast setup.

Jack

lyman all american

I started with one i got from a local dealer. It was being used as a door stop, and I tripped on it! He sold it to me with a bunch of the special shell holders the require.
Moderator will probably move this, but I'd sell it to a new reloader to see them get a cheap start for the $35 dollars it cost me, or take an equitable trade if that made things easier.

The single stage Lee Challenger Breech Lock Press is very nice and handles spent primers better than the old standard the Rock Chucker.

All I have is a couple of single stage presses and unless there is a real good reason for a single stage press (and there are a couple), I would jump right in and get a progressive with case feeding. Don't buy for what you want, buy for what you may be doing in five years. You will be better served.

B

i had a dillon 550 and it was great. once it was set up correctly. the powder measurer was a bit messy to set up. never used the hornady.

I have been thinking seriously about the Lee Classic Cast turret press. The Lee Classic presses are much more heavily built than their standard line. Four die stations are just right for handgun loading with three dies and a powder measure. You can get the press for a little less than $100 online. PM me for the source, if interested. BTW, it uses inexpensive changeable die heads for a fast setup.

Jack

I have an old (3) die version that needs some love after the previous owner. I bought it used with a bunch of dies and gobs of brass for short $$. I just used it this afternoon to prototype some .38spl rounds. Took me ~20 minutes for 50 rounds. Mine is a little on the loose side (due to age I think) and I think it may not be so good for precision rifle rounds, but it is fine for my purposes.

The (4) die turret press is a good press to start on IMO if someone is nervous about a progressive. Simple, one operation at a time, easy caliber changes (pop out one turret and put in another), and allows use of the "Lee Factory Crimp Die" which means you can seat and crimp in seperate operations.

I also have a Lee LoadMaster I use for volume .45ACP and think it is a great press. YMMV, but for $215 WITH a very clever and simple case feeder, I think it's a deal. It is much heavier duty and robust than the Lee 1000 which is just a glorified version old 3 hole turret press I described above.

What sold me on the Dillon 550B over the Hornady LnL was the removable tool head as opposed to removing the 4 dies separately.

What sold me on the Dillon 550B over the Hornady LnL was the removable tool head as opposed to removing the 4 dies separately.

When I was looking at both last year, the toolhead was a DISincentive. It's much cheaper to buy a set of the Hornady inserts than it is a Dillon tool head. The tool head is also (marginally) less tight than the Hornady bushing mount. You can see the toolhead move ever so slightly when the ram rises.

The LNL also allows the very quick, easy removal of ONE die. This makes cleaning a seating die (if you load cast lead, such as CAS shooters) or need to change a seating insert, very simple.

I ended up buying a second 550, but that is because:

1. With one 550, I already had toolheads, primer tubes and spare parts; and

2. The clincher - I bought a never-used 550, complete w/dies, power mount, primer tray and primers for less than half of what the original owner paid for it.

Can't pass up a deal like that!

I meant that you can pull all dies at once on caliber changes.

with the Dillon dies the inserts drop right out to clean, just pull the pin, no lose of adjustment.

The tool head movement is part of the design i think

When I was looking at both last year, the toolhead was a DISincentive. It's much cheaper to buy a set of the Hornady inserts than it is a Dillon tool head. The tool head is also (marginally) less tight than the Hornady bushing mount. You can see the toolhead move ever so slightly when the ram rises.

The LNL also allows the very quick, easy removal of ONE die. This makes cleaning a seating die (if you load cast lead, such as CAS shooters) or need to change a seating insert, very simple.

I ended up buying a second 550, but that is because:

1. With one 550, I already had toolheads, primer tubes and spare parts; and

2. The clincher - I bought a never-used 550, complete w/dies, power mount, primer tray and primers for less than half of what the original owner paid for it.

Can't pass up a deal like that!

I meant that you can pull all dies at once on caliber changes.

with the Dillon dies the inserts drop right out to clean, just pull the pin, no lose [sic] of adjustment.

The tool head movement is part of the design i think

Not all my dies are Dillon and having to pull the die out for cleaning was a pain. Now that my bullets are poly-coated or jacketed, it is not an issue.

As for "movement by design" - I don't think so........

It is. They want it to "float". There was a post on it on Brian Enos and the explanation was given by someone posting directly from Dillon.

I've got to find THAT post. Slack in precision movements is NOT generally considered A Good Thing.

Back
Top Bottom