• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dillon 550 vs 650

Mike,

You're gonna load ammo for a $3000 gun on a $100 press???

Shame on you!!!

Buy a 650!!!

HAHA... How many weeks till it arrives?

Mike,

You're gonna load ammo for a $3000 gun on a $100 press???

Shame on you!!!

Buy a 650!!!

HAHA... How many weeks till it arrives?

[smile] you know I thought the same thing. but the Lee has done a great job with .45acp, 25K rounds. very few issues, most caused by me. If this press gives me issues, then i will get a dillon

They are estimating 2-3weeks for the gun[smile]

But it will probably be awhile before I bring it to a match. Gotta reach my L-10 goal before I go Open

The 550 is more realistic for the average reloader, but if you want quality ammo use it in single stage mode, and don't use powder measures in ANY progressive press, get a good scale.

FWIW, I've had my Dillon 550B for just about eight years. After THOUSANDS of rounds, it's still going strong. I reload 9mm, 357, 45ACP, and 40S&W. I use a caliber tool head for each, and the changover is easy. I usually load up about 1-2k on each run and rarely have a problem. This thing has paid for itself over and over again.

Some people want Cadillacs, some people want Kias, both will get you where you want to go. Some quicker than others, and at a greater cost.

As someone who owns every Dillon Press there is, (except the 450 which was a stripped 550 anyway and I dont know if they even offer it anymore) I say each of them has their place.

If you want ultra fast reloading because you're pressed for time, and you shoot a ton of ammo, then you go with the 1050
If you can't see spending that kind of money on a 1050, but want about 75% of the speed, you get the 650.
If you've got plenty of free time, and don't shoot over 10,000 rounds a year in one specific caliber, I'd say stick with the 550.
If you're extremely lazy of busy, then you just set your presses all up in different calibers.

As for what accessories you might need- the case feeder.
I cant see spending money on the strong mount unless you've got a height issue or rigidity problem with your bench as opposed to your own height standing or seated. And the bullet tray, I can't see spending money on that either, just leave them in their box and stick them on top of something if you don't like the height. I'd say the powder checker thing that is available for the 650 or 1050 is a good option if you're new, but i tossed mine aside because I was sick of readjusting it every time I switched powders or charges. Yes, roller handle is better, get it.

The discussion on the costs of the powder measures, you really don't NEED to have extras of those for conversions if you want to spend the time taking 2 allen screws out, emptying it, attaching it to the caliber you've switched to, and readjusting it if you switch powders and calibers. It's not a big deal. That being said, of course I have seperate powder measures on every caliber conversion I own. I'm lazy. Or busy. Yeah, thats it.

And Steve, if you're considering a 1050, and you've got the money for it now, come on over, and try mine, remember, your wife can always find other ways to spend your money in the future.

(Scottb- please read the above sentence, and note the correct forms of "your" and "you're" as used above. Good thing you teach Math not English. See ya buddy)

I've had my RL550B since 1993 and I love it. I'm comfortable with the 400 rounds/hour load rate which includes stopping to verify three or four powder charges every 100 rounds. I prefer manual indexing because I control the action. I also don't want a case feeder because putting the case in the press is the last chance I get to weed out any bad cases that may have gotten into the mix. I'm shooting about 10K rounds/year and this press is more than adequate for me.

Personally when I consider upgrading to a 650 I don't think the cost is worth the upgrade (for me). When I consider going to a 1050 my train of thought says I could buy another gun instead. Maybe someday when my kids start shooting and we need enough ammo for 3 shooters in the family then I will buy a 1050.

As far as companies go, Dillon is the only one for me. When my kids were first born I took 3 years off from reloading/shooting. All my equipment sat in a box in an old shed in my back yard under a very leaky roof. Might as well have been sitting under a ripped tarp in my backyard. When I finally had time/room to setup the equipment everything was ruined and my press was trashed. The piston was rusted up solid. I threw it in a box and sent it off to Dillon with a letter that made fun of their "No BS warranty", but then seriously asked them how much credit they might consider giving me towards a replacement 550 press since I was careless enough to ruin mine. Two weeks later I rec'd a completely reconditioned press from Dillon. I don't even know if it was mine that I sent them or another one. On the invoice was a long list of parts that had been replaced and a great big "NO CHARGE" at the bottom. Dillon even paid the return shipping to my house. I will never use any press but a Dillon.

-Cuz.

He knows a thing or two about shooting I would have to say. Even though he is only a Master IPSC shooter.

More importantly, he is a Master IPSC shooter who LOADS HIS OWN ammo, as opposed to getting cases of it free from a sponsor.

Learn from a master, grasshopper....... [wink]

What does the master recommend for calipers?

Matt, a 1050 for me? Someday. I made room on my new bench for it.

HA HA HA Steve, you know i'd recommend the best calipers money can buy.
You're not going to get me to admit the secret to my success.

Yes Keith, imagine that, I actually have to load my own ammo! THE HORROR!
know anyone that wants to ship me like 20,000 a year for me to burn up? Then you can say I'm just a GM
Ammo sponsor or not, i'm going for it in 2007
look out savings account! oh wait, there isn't one anymore.

Will work for Ammo

Yes Keith, imagine that, I actually have to load my own ammo! THE HORROR!

No "horror;" merely a statement of fact.

Someone who actually loads his own ammo has a far better grasp of the requirements than someone who merely signs for a case of it every month.

Not really sure how or why you missed my point.

No "horror;" merely a statement of fact.

Someone who actually loads his own ammo has a far better grasp of the requirements than someone who merely signs for a case of it every month.

Not really sure how or why you missed my point.

didn't miss your point, just wish i had the luxury of signing for the package every month
Not that I really think it's a big deal, loading on a 1050 or a 650 for that matter, for like a half hour, gives me plenty of ammo
I often think, if I just spent 10 minutes a day on a reloader, I'd have way more than enough for a weekend.
10 minutes a day is so not a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom