• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dillon 550 Refurb

EddieZoom

NES Member
Came into a slightly neglected decades old Dillon 550(an original , not a 'B' or 'C').

It all appears to be there, but needs some TLC. I've got an SDB now, thinking I'm going to keep this and dedicate it to a caliber and prep for the day when I start loading rife.

Interested in hearing from NES'ers who've sent back their press to Dillon and paid to have them refurbed.

Google reveals lots of positive feedback but NES opinions carry more weight with me ;-)

Dillon will refurb any of their presses at no charge except the 1050 and the RL1000 (long out of production).

When I moved, I sent my 550B in for a refurb and had them return it to my new address. Worked great.

The "free refurb" is one of the reasons used Dillons generally sell for about 80% of the new price.

It used to be free.

Dillon has been tightening up on freebies over the years. When I bought my 1050 I was told "We would never enforce the 1 year limit on free parts for someone loading at home, that limit is for commercial reloaders". That turned out to be a lie when Mike Dillon personally ordered the crackdown.

And then there is the matter of declaring the old lifetime warranty on tumblers void if you make a claim. (One replacement with a year warranty). That is like buying a car with a 100K warranty, having the transmission replaced at 10K, and being told "your replacement transmission as a 10K warranty, not the original warranty you were promised".

It is not the Dillon of old.

Shipped an old press to dillon. They took my CC number and after a week or so they charged $47.95

They shipped it back with a work order sheet that totaled about $250 with a credit for all but the $47.95 which covered the shipping and the superb packaging on the way back.
DO IT

Sign of the times I suppose. Nothing is as good or as cheap as it used to be ;-)
Dillon's failure to follow through on promises disappoints me.

1. Unilaterally voiding a lifetime warranty on tumblers (probably illegal)
2. Advertising "totally free refurb for life" on any press other than then 1050 and reneging. This is in the same category as changing warranty terms after the sale.
3. Tigheting up their informal support policy for 1050 users

Much of this pre-dates Mike Dillons death, and no doubt comes directly from him.

I sent in my ancient 550 a month ago, got it back in two weeks. It's like new. I included the original powder measure and asked them to update the linkage to the new design. It came home with an entirely new measure, including the plastic chamber. Total charge for everything was $67.95, which is now the flat rate for a basic rebuild. They paid return shipping, which can't be cheap. I mailed it in and that cost over $60.
I understand the disappointment that all this is no longer free, but probably due to the volume of rebuilds and the cost of labor and overhead, they had to change the policy. I have a CV 500 tumbler that I expect will cease tumbling one of these days. It's got an electric motor supplied by an outside vendor. At that point I'll decide whether to replace the motor or take up Dillon's offer of a generous trade-in on a new model. I can't complain. They've sent me replacement parts at no charge for years.

Forgot to mention that the price on the work order was all for the brand new parts they sent. Nothing was for labor. They overhauled the whole press and pretty much gave me all new parts for it, powder measure included.

I know it's not cool to go back on your warranty but I bet they were selling a whole lot more presses than when they started and it was not feasible for the company to continue like that.
Look at LL BEAN. They have a satisfaction guarantee that is abused every day and treated like a no questions asked guarantee. People return 25 year old slippers for brand new ones. I would rafter see LL BEAN get rid of that stupid rule than to close their doors.
Same goes for Dillon. Their product and customer service is leagues above their competition. If it cost a little bit of dough to rebuild one every million rounds I don't think Dillon owes us anything.

I understand the disappointment that all this is no longer free, but probably due to the volume of rebuilds and the cost of labor and overhead, they had to change the policy.
It was represented as free to many of us who bought presses as an inducement to purchase.

"Cost of labor and overhead" has never been considered a legal justification for voiding or altering warranty terms.
know it's not cool to go back on your warranty
Actually, going back on a warranty is a violation of contract law.

It was represented as free to many of us who bought presses as an inducement to purchase.

"Cost of labor and overhead" has never been considered a legal justification for voiding or altering warranty terms.

Actually, going back on a warranty is a violation of contract law.

Yeah I know that on both points. It is messed up and illegal but I guess I wasn't buying machines back then so I doesn't piss me off as much.
If they kept up their word on the old presses that were purchased under the warranty that would be right and legal thing to do, but is it legal for a company to stop a warranty on new manufactured product as long as they keep the old stuff covered under the warranty it was sold under?
I did hear that if you had an older 1050 they still warranty them but I have not confirmed it.

If they kept up their word on the old presses that were purchased under the warranty that would be right and legal thing to do, but is it legal for a company to stop a warranty on new manufactured product as long as they keep the old stuff covered under the warranty it was sold under?
It certainly is legal, as long at is is disclosed prior to the sale.

I have no problem with the "1 year on electrical parts" on new sales. I take exception to the "your former lifetime warranty will be replaced with a 1 year warranty if you make a claim". If a car manufacturer tried to shorten a warranty because a claim was made on a part, the feds would have them by the connecting rods.

The 1050 issue is "softer" since their written word was always "1 year on the 1050", but their staff told prospective buyers to expect something different. Much harder to prove than their current printed policy of "we will shorten your tumbler warranty if you make a claim" or "we will not give you the free refurbs for life we promised you at time of purchase".

Press is on it's way back from Dillon !!!

They received it Tuesday, called me this morning. Added some goodies to take advantage of the return shipping.

A few things I need to clear up...which would be self-evident if I had the patience to wait for the press to arrive
icon_wink.gif

1) Will the SDB strong mount work with the 550 ? They are different part #'s and appears to be 1/2 inch difference height wise. I asked the Dillon tech and he said it would work...what do you think ? Plan is to strong mount the 550 and bench mount the SDB.

2) Is it possible to attach the standard 550 loaded cartridge chute/bin to the strong mount (typically screwed to the bench) ? I'll likely buy the proper part (#11185) eventually but I was wondering if i could make it work day one.

Thanks.

Forgot to mention that the price on the work order was all for the brand new parts they sent. Nothing was for labor. They overhauled the whole press and pretty much gave me all new parts for it, powder measure included.

I know it's not cool to go back on your warranty but I bet they were selling a whole lot more presses than when they started and it was not feasible for the company to continue like that.
Look at LL BEAN. They have a satisfaction guarantee that is abused every day and treated like a no questions asked guarantee. People return 25 year old slippers for brand new ones. I would rafter see LL BEAN get rid of that stupid rule than to close their doors.
Same goes for Dillon. Their product and customer service is leagues above their competition. If it cost a little bit of dough to rebuild one every million rounds I don't think Dillon owes us anything.

The problem with LL bean is in the beginning they sold very good stuff and it was not cheap.
Slippers lasted 25 years.

You can not do stuff for free any more and stay in business.
Backing out of a warranty is BS but I'm sure deep in the fine print they have their outs.
Maybe Dillon should cut their prices in half limit the warranty and stop the free parts BS.
I'm sure there's a mini network of Dillon owners who get free parts and put them on eBay.
Shipping is out of control so I don't blame any company for charging for shipping. Although I dis like the minimum charge some companies do and you get a cheap envelope with 1.89 postage on it?

The problem with LL bean is in the beginning they sold very good stuff and it was not cheap.
Slippers lasted 25 years.
Actually, the first LL Bean product (rubber lower/leather upper boots) was a c.f. and there were many warranty returns.

More recently, the Globe reported in February that LL Bean was "reviewing" its very generous return policy. Not sure if they called it a "warranty" or a "policy" - the former is not easily changed and, unlike Dillon, LL Bean would be a likely enforcement target.

Backing out of a warranty is BS but I'm sure deep in the fine print they have their outs.
Actually, Dillon screwed up by calling it a Warranty, thus triggering the provisions of the Masnuson-Moss warranty act. The requirements of this act are the reason Ruger has no warranty, but a policy of providing continuing service as long as parts are available.

I think this falls into the category of "no enforcement agency or plaintiff attorney has taken an interest".

A few things I need to clear up...which would be self-evident if I had the patience to wait for the press to arrive
icon_wink.gif

1) Will the SDB strong mount work with the 550 ?
2) Is it possible to attach the standard 550 loaded cartridge chute/bin to the strong mount (typically screwed to the bench) ?
Thanks.

Refurbed 550 is back from Dillon, so here are the answers to my questions:

1) Yes it works. Just enough height so nothing touches down.
2) No, not really. I'm sure if I thought long enough I could come up with some bad ideas for making it work, but the correct bracket with finished cartridge and empty brass bins is $25 from Dillon....on it's way.

BTW, the press really does look completely new. If it wasn't for a few minor nicks in the frame I would have no way of knowing that this wasn't new. Everything was replaced except the frame...which I'd swear got a fresh coat of Dillon blue
icon_wink.gif

I know it used to be free....but this is still an incredible bargain for what you get in return.

I returned 2 pair of slippers, one 25 years old and ripped, the other just because. Sunglasses same. I don't call it abusing the system.

My hunting boots leak, gonna get them replaced or repaired soon.

I returned 2 pair of slippers, one 25 years old and ripped, the other just because. Sunglasses same. I don't call it abusing the system.

My hunting boots leak, gonna get them replaced or repaired soon.

Considering it’s a satisfaction guarantee it’s all up to you. If you’re not satisfied with 25 year old slippers and feel the company did you wrong by producing slippers that only lasted that long and feel they should give you a new pair then they sure as would.
However following that business practice is what lead to their prices jumping up like crazy, their drop in overall profit and the loss of that policy in the end.
I’ve have had a pair of their slippers for about 10 years. When I give up on them they’re going in the trash and I’ll buy a new pair.

Back
Top Bottom