• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dillon 550 questions regarding options/dies/conversion kits

I'm still trying to get a better understanding of my options and have basically narrowed my selectoin down to RCBS or Dillon progressive. I'm still consfused about a few things on the Dillon.

-If you buy a 550 for 9mm (their web site says you order the setup with one conversion kit) then you at least need to buy dies however they sell mostly 3 set dies- do you need to order the expander die separate? I couldn't find it on their site.

-I you then want to do .40 do you then need to buy a conversion kit AND .40 dies? Expander die?

-Any recommended options for a 550? The strong mount looks like it would be handy.

Thanks for everyone's help on this and previous questions!

The powder funnel that comes with the conversion kit functions as the expander die. Once properly adjusted, and you bring the arm down, the funnel dispenses the powder and expands the case mouth at the same time.

For each separate caliber you'll need the die set and conversion kit (no separate expander die needed). However, check the part numbers closely before ordering, some of the conversion kits are interchangeable with other calibers.

As far as extras/options go? If you plan on doing a lot of reloading in various calibers, I'd recommend buying extra tool heads for each caliber. It saves a lot of time when changing over.

Extra primer pick-up tubes and the 550B spare parts kit is nice to have on hand
for the times when you lose one of the locating buttons or springs.

Dillons USED to come complete; i.e., with the dies, ready to load. Removing the die set was effectively a $40 price increase.

Since your spending money already, drop another $10 or so and get the Lee Final Crimp Die (FCD). It is a carbide die that resizes the cartridge, crimping the bullet in the process.

It is MUCH better than trying to seat and crimp with the same die, with the added advantage of the final sizing, which eliminates a lot of failures - to - feed. [wink]

It is MUCH better than trying to seat and crimp with the same die
?

None of my Dillon 550 pistol die sets do that. The first station resizes, removes the old primer, and installs the new primer. The second station bells the case mouth and adds the powder charge. The third station seats the bullet. The fourth station crimps.

For accessories, I would recommend the strong mount, bullet tray, and the roller handle. If I were a pistol shooter, I might look into the auto case feed.

?

None of my Dillon 550 pistol die sets do that. The first station resizes, removes the old primer, and installs the new primer. The second station bells the case mouth and adds the powder charge. The third station seats the bullet. The fourth station crimps.

I don't get the seat/crimp combo either. If your machine is progressive and you have space for both, why not do the operations separately, the round has to pass that station anyways?

Also, I tried the factory crimp die but like the "U" (undersized) Lee resizing die from EGW better. The machine just feels smoother and it seems easier to tune everything in separate steps.

Damn... I can't wait to start reloading now. Sounds like lot of fun. Still considering RCBS though.

Bouncing back to the tool heads, it is a better buy to buy it all set up with the powder die and the powder measure. It allows you to leave the caliber all set up with powder drop and dies ready to go.

For Dillon, try DILLON AT DISCOUNT

Great guy to deal with. He was in NH for some time before moving back to the west. I have dealt with him off and on now for 5 years and never had a problem with anything.

Regards,

DILLON uses a 4-die set.

MOST pistol dies are only 3-die sets, in which the third die both seats and crimps. As the Lee FCD crimps by essentially full-length resizing, it virtually eliminates FTFs.

Using an undersize sizing die helps also, albeit at the expense of working the brass that much more.

DILLON uses a 4-die set.

I really hate to be a PITA, but Dillon uses a three die set (at least my 2 550s do) Although there are 4 stations on the tool head, the die set is Three dies, Size, Seat, and crimp. The powder die is a separate station that expands and drops the powder but the powder die is sold separate from the die sets.

DILLON Three Die Pistol Sets

Powder Die

Regards,

I really hate to be a PITA, but Dillon uses a three die set (at least my 2 550s do) Although there are 4 stations on the tool head, the die set is Three dies, Size, Seat, and crimp. The powder die is a separate station that expands and drops the powder but the powder die is sold separate from the die sets.

Depends upon what the meaning of "die" is!

Remember, the powder station (#2) has the caliber-specific bell tool as part of the powder measure, so I counted it as a "die." Bottom line; Dillon intends bullet seating and bullet crimping to be done SEPARATELY. Standard pistol die sets are three dies; resize/decap, bell and seat/crimp. People buying a pistol die set from Lyman, RCBS, etc. will pay for a belling die they will never use in a Dillon.

Hence my recommending the Lee FCD. Its carbide ring insert resizes the entire cartridge as well as crimping, making for far fewer feed problems. [wink]

Last edited:
As someone stated...get a "Quick change caliber kit" It's about 70 bucks...but you get the power measure, holder, tool die thing...it's everything but the dies. That way you just put it on a stand...and you never have to change dies. Once you get everything set up, and you wnat to go from caliber to caliber, it's about a 10 min process...

It's really nice and well worth the 70 bucks.

Dillon 550 question

There is good info here altho some confusion regarding the number of dies in the set. The key is that the bullet seating and crimping is done in two different operations. I highly recommend the 550 as well as the Dillon dies. When I began using the 550 it did NOT come with dies so I have used other brands for the various calibers that I load on it. I have gotten a couple of sets of Dillon dies and like them very much as they are made to work just a bit better in a progressive press.

I also have 3 Square Deals and one 1050. The 550 is by far the best buy for the money.

In my opinion, I would not go with the RCBS.

Do you guys have different powder dispensers for each caliber so you only have to adjust it once, or is the one powder dispenser easy enough to set and reset that you keep only one?

For most of my cals., I have a Dillon measure mounted on each setup. Those are mostly pistol cal. My rifle cal. I load each round by hand after measuring each powder charge on a scale.

Back
Top Bottom